“Quiet, Peaceful and a Great Value”
Review of Cape Pines Motel

Cape Pines Motel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed 29 May 2009

We are spending a week in the Cape Hatteras and chose the Cape Pines as our "base of operation" for our Outer Banks explorations. Our room is large and roomy, the inn is quiet and charming. It has a 1950s feel to it, very charming and peaceful. We have found the staff to be gracious and accommodating.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 May 2009

We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend with our dog. We needed a pet friendly room, and this was one of the few places we could find in the area. The price was so low that we expected only the basics, but we were pleasantly surprised. The room was incredibly clean and though most people in the courtyard rooms are there with pets, you couldn't smell anything in the room. The owners are very nice and love animals--we could not have felt more welcome. The rates were terrific, especially for a holiday weekend, and it's just a short drive to a beautiful dog-friendly beach. (All the beaches are dog-friendly on leash, but the one closest to the hotel was the nicest we saw on our stay.) Be sure to check out the Orange Blossom Bakery, which is just 5 minutes away. Outstanding and also very dog-friendly for a leisurely breakfast on the porch: our pooch was treated to lots of cuddles and free bacon from the staff. We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2009

I had booked a room for a few days at the Cape Pines Motel but could not make my reservation due to family obligation. I thought I had cancelled the reservation but to my surprise I got a call at 10:30 at night from the motel telling me that I was going to be charged a night for not cancelling. I understand policies but I also understand you can bend the rules. Keep in mind it was out of season when I booked the room. I asked not to be charged and was told “sorry I can’t do that” then hung up on. For me that’s when it turned. When you count on word of mouth business you don’t hang up on potential customers. I called back to explain my situation and wanted to work out a deal on the cancellation charge. I was told NO and AGAIN hung up on. I felt I was polite and wanted them to know I was aware of a cancellation policy but I felt he could have waived it or worked with me on it, it wasn’t even season. I’m not even upset about the cancellation fee; I’m upset that I was hung up on. Beware if you stay here that you might get a little attitude from the staff. Since this all went down I have made it to Buxton and stayed on the beach at the most wonderful motel. “OUTER BANKS MOTEL” I would highly recommend this place because of a few reasons. It’s on the beach, very clean, and most of all, a great staff.

Stayed: April 2009
1  Thank mspin24
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Extremely clean and well maintained Motel. Two minutes from Lighthouse and Beach. Excellent amenities! Across from Supermarket. Very, very clean and comfortable. The owners are visible and very accomodating. They love Dogs! They love their Motel! I would go back again and again!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2009

My wife and I exchanged our usual sc beach destination for the obx in 2003. Ocracoke is not a secret anymore. The northern end of obx is too stuffy. Hatteras Island is perfect. A lot of the properties in buxton area are D- in service and C- in cleanlinesss. We were tolerating these grades in exchange for oceanfront location. All of a sudden price gouging started,especially on Memorial Day time frame. We waited until two weeks before Memorial Day to try and book a slot in Buxton at a better price. We selected Cape Pines Motel on Trip Advisor rating. I called Angie several times to try and put together Memorial Day weekend slot with pet. We booked two different rooms to make it happen. One of the rooms was suite #12.I would guess a 800-900 sf. All rooms were 5star clean Service to match. Gave price concessions for suite without our asking.The location is not oceanfront or oceanside. The bathroom was somewhat cramped in one room. On a scale of 1-10. A solid 8.5. p.s.- We're booked for this year 2009. We are both in our mid 50's with a schnoodle dog.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank palmettosojourner
Reviewed 24 November 2008

We stayed in a one bedroom suite at the Cape Pines motel (with our dog).

We found front desk personnel to be friendly. It was really cold and the suite's heaters were already humming by the time we got to the suite. We had a brand new fridge and microwave. The suite was very clean. Yes, the walls are thin and we could hear our neighbor's TV a bit, but with the air conditioner/heater on, you really couldn't hear much.

The Cape Pines is an older motel, so I wasn't surprised that the walls were a bit thin. But it has a lot of charm and you can walk to the local restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 1 November 2008

Cape Pines was neither good or bad. We stayed here in October in the King suite. These suites were located in the main building over the office. Bad things first: many parts around the upstairs were quite shabby/sad looking. The main hallway smelled bad. The walls were PAPER thin (you could hear every neighboors convo and TV). Good things: the king bed was HUGE. Biggest bed I've ever stayed in. The bathroom and living room were quite clean. Management was nice enough.

Although I wasn't impressed with Cape Pines I've read many other reviewers who were. I can only assume most of them stayed in the side by side apartments down on the ground floor. From what I saw they were very cute and quaint.

For the price (90 some dollars) I was a little underwhelmed by Cape Pines. I do not recomend staying in the rooms above the office.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
#4 of 6 in Buxton
Outer Banks Motel
Outer Banks Motel
#6 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Cape Pines Motel? Share your experiences!