“Cape Pines Saved My Christmas Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cape Pines Motel

Cape Pines Motel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Buxton
Durham, NC
“Cape Pines Saved My Christmas Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2009

I was stranded en route to Ocracoke with a carload of pets when my car was caught in high water on hwy 12. I was towed to Cape Pines, where I, my cats and dogs got the warmest most cordial hospitality imaginable. We spent a comfortable, albeit unplanned night and day in a wonderful suite with sitting room and kitchenette with all the amenities. The people who run this quaint pet friendly place are the best people in the world. They were so kind and solicitous to me; I'll forever be grateful. If you're visiting the coast and want a taste of the neighborliness of the Outer Banks, stop over at the Cape Pines Motel in Buxton. It will not disappoint!

• Stayed December 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2009

We did some last minute booking and were fortunate to find rooms available at Cape Pines. To our delight, it was just wonderful. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and we loved the atmosphere. The prices were excellent value also, especially when compared to Ocracoke across the water. We met Bill, who was great and very helpful! I don't have too many photographs of the motel because I was busy photographing and playing with Heidi, who is this adorable English Bulldog who was featured in the 2009 Outer Banks Pet Calender (see pix). Bill had her put on a rollerskating show for us! There are some friendly kitties here as well! But for those who want to see photos, here is the link to their website, which has plenty of pictures.
This is a great location to stay at if you're planning to visit Ocracoke - for the ferry is close by. Also, its easier to find food later at night in this area than at Ocracoke.

USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

Do not look further if you are searching for a place to stay on the Outer Banks. Cape Pines Motel far exceeded our expectations for a beach motel. And our expectations were already high at time of booking due to both the excellent ratings on Trip Advisor and the glowing review in Gourmet Magazine.

The rooms are impeccably clean. The grounds are beautifully maintained with lit pathways surrounding the motel, shady seating areas to eat and read, a bug-free environment, a charming garden oasis behind the hotel, comfortable picnic and grill area next to the pool, sparkling clean swimming pool and best of all, friendly and incredibly accomodating owners.

I can't say enough complimentary things about Bill and Angie, the owners. Whatever I asked for, the answer was always, "Sure!" I needed to throw a couple loads of laundry into their own washers: Sure! (And they transferred the wet clothes to the dryer and folded them!) I needed to find a vet who carried my prescription dog food. Sure! Angie picked some up for me on her trip to the vet. I needed a wine opener for my wine bottle. Sure! Bill popped the cork for me. Bill and Angie work hard! I saw them both working all day in the office and around the grounds (Bill in the same hour was helping build a new picnic space with bamboo shelter, cleaning rooms himself, cleaning the pool and taking his own dog out for a ride on her skateboard--you must see this! It could be on Letterman!)

Bill and Angie have put a ton of sweat and love into this special motel and we will be back for sure next summer! Thanks for everything!
Your Wisconsin friends!

1 Thank AGTRAVELER40
Fredericksburg, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

We stayed at The Cape Pines Motel for the last week in July, and have nothing bad to say! We'd never been anywhere in the Outer Banks before, so this was a totally new experience for us (although we've been several other "beachy" places in and out of the US, so we have a good basis for comparison). It was my husband and I, along with our 8 year old daughter, and 2 dogs. This hotel is extremely pet-friendly, as well as "people-friendly" - HA. The owners (Bill and Angie) are very hands-on, and we saw them at least once a day, but usually more. Their skateboarding Bulldog, Heidi, is hysterical.

We were in the deluxe room, with one king bed, and a queen sized futon. We were a little weary of the futon situation, but once we arrived, all our fears were gone. The futon was very nice (and clean!), and without even folding it out, had plenty of room for our daughter. In the hotel's defense, we booked our stay VERY last minute, and we were just happy they found us a room at all. They were great with accommodating us!

The room itself was plenty big enough for us, and EXTREMELY clean. Yes, the property is older, so there are tiny nuances that remind you it's not the Ritz Carlton - but the general "vibe" and clean rooms made us more than happy =). This is a great place to stay whether you're traveling alone, with a family, or with pets. It's on a much smaller scale, so the nights were very quiet. There's also a nice, clean pool for you to use after a long day at the beach - very refreshing!

All in all, I would not hesitate at all to refer Cape Pines to anyone I know. It's very clean, friendly, accommodating, and reasonably-priced. It's just a couple minute drive to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, and about 15 minutes from the free ferry to Ocracoke. Very conveniently located!

We will be back next year... and the year after that! =)

Chesapeake Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

This amazing little place is one of the best places we have ever stayed in the Outer Banks. Its clean, It's got an awesome pool and very pet friendly....(our little Yorkie DJ just loved it) and the owners Bill and Angie along with their babys Heidi and Twiggy really make you feel like your right at home. Beware of the gaurd kittys on the property....they will love you to pieces.We had such a wonderful time that when we come back again in September we will be staying here again. Be sure to check out the path to the Old Grey House out back.Take the time to read about the history of this wonderful old place. I'm sure you will find it as magical as we did.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Berryville, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

We had a very plesant stay. We took advantage of their "rescession buster" special which included all taxes and WOW! did we get a bang for our buck. This is a neat little motel. There is an incredible eye for detail everywhere you look. The room was super large and comfy and the service wonderful. Everything here is SPARKLING clean from the room to the ice machine to the pool. A wonderful place to stay...we'll be back and hope you visit too.

Gordonsville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2009

Well once again we stayed at Cape Pines! I can't tell you about a better, more comfortable place to stay. We rent a house twice a year, we found it was much easier on everyone including our dog, Buddy. Our house is a Sunday house so we stay at Cape Pines on Friday and Saturday nights. Last year it was so hot and I had been on medication they allowed us a late check out! At that point I would have paid double what the charge was. There is a gas grill on the property to use if you cook in. The kitchen was more equipped than the house we rent. We cooked every night! The staff is very helpful also. I'll stay at Cape Pines every time!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
#4 of 6 in Buxton
Outer Banks Motel
Outer Banks Motel
#5 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Cape Pines Motel? Share your experiences!