We are still here - have been since Aug. 13 and leaving tomorrow, Aug 18 - and it has been a really good, cheap vacation. Came with hubby, 15 year old daughter, and friend of daughter's and took a 1st floor 1 br suite w/ a little alcove with a bunk bed for the girls. In addition to the br (with king bed and our own little tv/dvd player) and alcove, there's a full bath with tub; a well-stocked kitchen with dishwasher, coffeemaker, microwave, full fridge/freezer, sink, stove, and table for four; a living room with couch, love seat, coffee/side tables w/ lamps, and CRT/tube tv (21"?) and dvd player; and a porch with a couple chairs and place to hang towels & leave your wet sandy things. The place is clean, but it's not fancy.
As a first-floor suite, there's no view of the ocean, but it's also cheaper. We didn't mind it because you don't have to drag your luggage up far and it's quick access to the beach and pool/hot tub. It took me no more than 3 min to run from the beach back to the apt and back to grab a couple beers for me and the hubby. However, we had someone upstairs doing P90X or something every morning in their living room, so you do hear people above you if they are jumping around rhymically at 9am each morning while you are enjoying reading and coffee in the living room. The other drawback of the 1st floor is that all the sand from the 2nd and 3rd floors ends up shaking down upon you on the porch if people are walking around up there and it's hard to keep clean. I would probably pick a 3rd floor place next time despite the price diff and lesser convenience of three flights of steps.
Other nice thing about the place is that they provide all linens (except beach towels), and you can trade them out every morning as needed. There's also a laundry room, but we never had a need to use it. There's also some grills, a fish-cleaning table for the fishermen out there, showers to rinse off, and a lot of cute cats who will come running if they hear the hose from the fish cleaning table turn on.
One thing that I didn't like was the pillows - I woke up with a stiff neck every night. The bed was great, though. I'd just recommend you bring your own favorite pillow. Also, since we were on the first floor and the bedroom is on the street-facing end, we heard the people who were leaving early one morning dragging their suitcases, etc. No traffic noise, though. I just got myself earplugs and it was all good.
I would definitely recommend this if you are budget-conscious and have a family. You really can't beat having the beach, a pool, and jacuzzi right at your door, and there's decent places to eat nearby. It's not going to be a Nag's Head/Hilton Head kind of place, but it's a cheap and nice getaway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nowhere will you find a more delightful combination of beautiful vacation rentals seashore wonders, and southern hospitality, all within the shadow of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse than at Lighthouse View Oceanfront Lodging. Located on the oceanside village of Buxton, North Carolina, our beachfront campus offers some of the best views on Hatteras Island!Many of our guests have made us their annual retreat of choice because we have everything you could need for a great Hatteras vacation: convenient Cape Hatteras lodging, great in-room amenities, a location that couldn’t be any closer to the beach and sound, exceptional surf fishing, a host of exciting water sports, and, of course, the majestic Cape Hatteras Lighthouse for a fun sightseeing opportunity.We offer a wide variety of Buxton vacation rentals, from motel rooms to efficiencies to beach cottages. Whether you’re planning a quiet getaway for two, a fishing or water sports escape, or a full-blown multi-family and friend Cape Hatteras beach vacation, we can make it all happen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Lighthouse View Oceanfront Lodging reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lighthouse View Oceanfront Lodging Hotel Buxton
- Lighthouse View Oceanfront Lodging Buxton, Hatteras Island, NC
- Lighthouse View Hotel Buxton
- Light House View Motel