“Really good family place for the price”

Lighthouse View Oceanfront Lodging
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We are still here - have been since Aug. 13 and leaving tomorrow, Aug 18 - and it has been a really good, cheap vacation. Came with hubby, 15 year old daughter, and friend of daughter's and took a 1st floor 1 br suite w/ a little alcove with a bunk bed for the girls. In addition to the br (with king bed and our own little tv/dvd player) and alcove, there's a full bath with tub; a well-stocked kitchen with dishwasher, coffeemaker, microwave, full fridge/freezer, sink, stove, and table for four; a living room with couch, love seat, coffee/side tables w/ lamps, and CRT/tube tv (21"?) and dvd player; and a porch with a couple chairs and place to hang towels & leave your wet sandy things. The place is clean, but it's not fancy.

As a first-floor suite, there's no view of the ocean, but it's also cheaper. We didn't mind it because you don't have to drag your luggage up far and it's quick access to the beach and pool/hot tub. It took me no more than 3 min to run from the beach back to the apt and back to grab a couple beers for me and the hubby. However, we had someone upstairs doing P90X or something every morning in their living room, so you do hear people above you if they are jumping around rhymically at 9am each morning while you are enjoying reading and coffee in the living room. The other drawback of the 1st floor is that all the sand from the 2nd and 3rd floors ends up shaking down upon you on the porch if people are walking around up there and it's hard to keep clean. I would probably pick a 3rd floor place next time despite the price diff and lesser convenience of three flights of steps.

Other nice thing about the place is that they provide all linens (except beach towels), and you can trade them out every morning as needed. There's also a laundry room, but we never had a need to use it. There's also some grills, a fish-cleaning table for the fishermen out there, showers to rinse off, and a lot of cute cats who will come running if they hear the hose from the fish cleaning table turn on.

One thing that I didn't like was the pillows - I woke up with a stiff neck every night. The bed was great, though. I'd just recommend you bring your own favorite pillow. Also, since we were on the first floor and the bedroom is on the street-facing end, we heard the people who were leaving early one morning dragging their suitcases, etc. No traffic noise, though. I just got myself earplugs and it was all good.
I would definitely recommend this if you are budget-conscious and have a family. You really can't beat having the beach, a pool, and jacuzzi right at your door, and there's decent places to eat nearby. It's not going to be a Nag's Head/Hilton Head kind of place, but it's a cheap and nice getaway.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Summer-of-sixty-9

Reviewed 21 July 2011

My wife, one year old daughter and I stayed in a non-ocean front hotel room (it says distant sound view, but all I could see was the Comfort Inn). No matter the room in the hotel you will have stairs with no elevator. We were on the first flight up, along with the benefit of facing the parking lot instead of the ocean, so steps/distance to the room was not big deal for me.

The room was clean and spacious. The pool was great and right by the beach access, which was great with a one year old. I felt like the website led me to believe it was an oceanfront pool, meaning you could see the ocean while you swim, which wasn't the case. They have a hot tub, but I couldn't have imagined using it in 90 degree weather, though some did. The property is pretty close to the edge of town, which also means it is on the edge of the beach, which seemed to result in a less congested beach, which was great! Hatteras is well known for fishing, so in the evening the beach was full of people fishing. No long peaceful walks in the sunset in this area.

The beds slept well, but left my wife and I with a bit of a back ache the next day. The staff was courtious and helpful with all needs. We took a pamphlet with us to consider returning to a bigger room/cottage for a longer stay. I would recommend this place to those who are not deterred by surf fishing (keep in mind...big fish feed on small fish...eek) and are looking for budget, yet decent quality at the same time.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DylCarFin
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Nothing outstanding in a positive or negative sense. I felt it was acceptable for the price.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 25 June 2011

This was a great surprise. Went with a friend and we both loved it. It's very clean and right on the beach, with a pool. Has mini frig, microwave, and coffee pot in just the regular rooms. The people are very nice and helpful. Plan to be back in September.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2011

I have been fortunate to graduate to The "Cottage on the Dunes". Even if you are used to a 5 Star Hotel, perhaps it is time to try a true Island experience! Leave all of your electronics at home except for a basic cell phone.Enjoy the friendly staff who go out of their way to supply you with all of the necessary things. There are even laundry facilities. The Ocean is a few steps away, and can be seen from many of the rooms. I have stayed there in the spring for up to 3 weeks, and will stay in no other place on the Island for peace and true relaxation( if you allow yourself this luxury) I am sure that in prime time it is busier and a place full of energy. I have had the oppportunity to stay in a 5 Star Hotel, during a very busy time, and it was very loud even through the night. Even if you think that you NEED that flat screen TV, an, iron and board, a choice of pillows, and any thing else that you find in a hotel, try this beautiful area with a gorgeous beach and dunes!

Room Tip: Reserve early, ask which rooms have the best view.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Ida3877
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We came back again this summer! This year we stayed in one of the 2 bedroom villas #224. The view was great and I really enjoyed the short jaunt to the beach over the boardwalk. Accommodations were nice and clean, the master bed slept great (king size), as well as the 2nd bedroom bed. However, the bunk beds in the hall are more geared to younger children not the young adults I had in tow. I missed the washer and dryer we had last year in the Storm Cottage, however the laundry exchange makes it easy to trade in for fresh towels. Overall our weeks stay was wonderful, very relaxing. The beach is so clean and beautiful - lots of waves. I enjoy watching all the surfers. I certainly would recommend Lighthouse View for those who are looking for a quiet and peaceful vacation not one crowded with commercialization. The main complaint we have is they need to extend the hours on the swimming pool - 5:00 pm is just too early!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 5GeorgiaTravelers
Reviewed 15 May 2011

If you're looking for a luxury hotel... this ain't it!, nor is ANYWHERE else on the lower OBX. Folks this is small town USA with sand! Everything on the island gets the full brunt of natures fury. Therefore Lighthouse View is thoroughly sandblasted and weatherworn, as is every other beachfront room for 50 miles. My wife and I have returned there for the past three years, and will return again. The rooms are clean, the beachfront view is terrific, and the prices are more than fair. If you want five-star wine-and-cheese island accomidations, go to HHI, If you want to relax, fish, surf, & eat, Lighthouse View is a great location to base an OBX vacation.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ABMResto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
#2 of 6 in Buxton
Cape Hatteras Motel
Cape Hatteras Motel
#4 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Lighthouse View Oceanfront Lodging? Share your experiences!