“Excellent vacation resort. We'll definitely be back!”

Brunswick Plantation Golf Resort
Nashville, Tennessee
“Excellent vacation resort. We'll definitely be back!”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We've just returned from the beautiful Brunswick Plantation Golf Resort. It has been a favorite family getaway for us for a couple years now. The staff and services there are outstanding. You're only minutes away from the best beaches anywhere in the world and can relax as this coastal region is the best kept secret in the USA. The golf course is always in top condition and offers a challenging but fair test for any level player. We have two young sons that were able to play along with dad and have the time of their lives. Beautiful lush, secluded fairways. Championship quality greens and tee boxes. All the amenities of the best club house and pro shop anywhere. The condo we stayed in was awesome. Very well appointed along with being clean and comfortable. The entire staff was courteous and helpful. Lots of great restaurants abound! From the world famous seafood of Calabash and Little River to some of the best Italian food this side of the Atlantic. This is where we look forward to finally kicking back and loving life in our favorite part of the world!

2 Thank Spryco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I wish I could give this a higher rating. Our room was very nice. We got a two bedroom condo. It looks as though it's a one bedroom condo with living area and full kitchen joined to an efficiency. We were pleased with the accommodations. I wasn't expecting the marriott, here, because we got a deal on orbitz for $100 a night for the whole two bedroom condo (btw, this was at least $50 less than booking through the hotel). Yes, the carpet is kind of gross. But it's a beach resort. I have never been to one that didn't have gross carpet. I don't know why they put carpet into beach condos in the first place. The kitchen was definitely fully stocked, even had measuring spoons. The sheets on the beds actually smelled clean, but I took the comforters off. They were disgusting. There were even cigarette burns on one.

Overall, the room was better than expected. But let's talk about customer service. My first contact with customer service was when booking. I called to get info about the rooms, see if housekeeping was included (it wasn't), the kitchen was stocked (it was) and towels were provided (yes, but bring your own, they're skimpy). The lady, I believe her name was Sonia, could not have been more bored talking to me. I swear, it was like I was the bane of her existence. She answered my questions rudely. I shrugged it off. I called back to see if nonsmoking rooms were guaranteed. They are not. Let me pause here. That is ridiculous and gross. What if you are allergic? Guess you can't come here. This same lady, Sonia, said I could arrive early to ensure I got a nonsmoking unit.

So, arrive early we did. Check in is at three. We arrived at two. They were so rude to me, sighing as they checked the computer, then rudely pointing to the sign that said check in was at three. Yes, I know. You told me to get here early. They actually told me that there was no way I was told this. They then tried to tell me I must have called orbitz to get my info. Noooooo. I called YOU to see if booking through the hotel would guarantee it. So, they huff and puff and say they have no way of knowing if I have a nonsmoking room. However, at that moment, another lady walks out and says yes, we do, and hits some buttons on the computer, and says yes, your unit is nonsmoking. Excellent.

We leave and come back. I arrived at approximately 2:55. I am aware check in is at three. So, I mill in the lobby for a few minutes. At least three other families arrived. The two laides working check in would huff each time someone asked, then make a big show of looking at the computer. Then tell the families check in was at three. Please note - they never got up from these computers. So, at three, the now six or so families line up. Remember, the workers NEVER got up. They miraculously have everyone's paperwork right next to them, printed, stapled, and ready to go. But it wasn't ready three minutes beforehand? One of the families looked at the clock, realized it was one minute till, and just didn't move. Their paperwork was right there the whole time. I realized at that point that this staff just wanted to be rude and in charge. By the time they allowed people to start checking in, there were close to ten families and couples lined up out the door. It was like the front desk staff took pleasure in making everyone wait. They would smile and just say "it's wasn't three" to everyone who pointed out that obviously, the paperwork had been there the whole time.

I wish this was my last encounter with the staff. It wasn't. The next day, my sister was admitted to the hospital with seizures. She lives in Charleston, so my friend and I decided to scoot down there. Only problem was that her adult daughter was still at the beach, and had accidentally left her id in the room. She didn't have a key. The front desk was about as rude as possible, and there was just absolutely nothing they could (or rather, would) do to accommodate my emergency. I asked to leave a key in her name. Nope, needed id. I said I didn't care, no one would ask for it. She was like "oh, i don't want you to have a problem." I already have a problem, lady. After ten minutes of her having absolutely zero willingness to do ANYTHING, I said fine, we'll just hide a key. She will need to be able to access the resort. She has my name, and that will be good enough to get on the resort. Noooooooooo. I finally convinced her to at least give me a parking pass for her. She then very rudely informed me that I was responsible for this "guest" (and she was snotty about how she said guest), and any damages that she did. She is 21 or 22. I was highly offended that because of my friend's age, the staff assumed that she was out to wreck the room. She came as a favor to me, generously offering to help with the children. She is not the type of person to cause any damage. It was rude and uncalled for. And... if we can't get her the key, how are we supposed to get her the pass.... I went to the guard gate and basically begged for help. They could not have been nicer. This lady said, yes, what's her name, what's your room number. I also gave her my name and cell, just in case there was an issue. There wasn't. The security guards were fabulous.

I had two other encounters with the front desk staff. Once, i came to see if printers were available. She was too busy talking on the phone. There were two women there, laughing in the back. Yeah. Nobody bothered to help me. But i saw a coupon book, and it had what i needed. BTW, when I called, I was told the incorrect info. There is a charge to use the internet (?????) and the printer. What a rip off. My last encounter was when I needed a clean set of sheets. We are here for four nights. They acted like it was THE biggest inconvenience to check and see if any were available. Then, they suggested I just wash mine. Um. No. It clearly says I can exchange my sheets.

Now, let me just add it seems to only be the front desk. Maintenance had to swing by, and this gentleman was so nice as he unclogged our toilet. He was patient with my two little girls sword fighting nearby, and laughed and joked with them. It was such a pleasure after our other experiences.

I'm sure management might come on and say oh, this isn't' typical. It is. There is absolutely no other explanation. I talked with several other resort goers. One was a homeowner, apparently. She told me that yes, the staff is horrendous, and that they wish they'd never bought here, because they think people don't come back because of them. She's right. Despite the nice room, I don't see the point in coming back. If the staff is that rude to you for basic things, like checking in, what if I actually needed something?

Despite the cheap prices, go somewhere else. Oh, and housekeeping isn't included. That wasn't mentioned when we booked anywhere, or on the website that I saw. Just so you know. But they do leave a nice tip envelope for you. Oh, and the indoor pool was closed. They didn't say why, they were too busy to answer that question. When I inquired as to when it would open, their answer was "not today." Thanks.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank GingerG82
Abingdon, Virginia
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights in July. We selected Brunswick because the value they offered was unbeatable within such a short drive to the beach. Its almost impossible to find accommodations for less than a week at a time in the summer at the beach unless you stay at a chain hotel.

We selected a 1 bedroom condo unit. When we initially checked in and opened the door to the room, we found that the room had not been cleaned at all since the previous guest checked out. The beds were unmade and the pillows had stains on them that looked to be of hair coloring. We immediately went back and told the management. Ironically a condo OWNER was also in the office complaining of the same issue in their unit.

I have to give management credit here as they were genuinely distressed that the units were not cleaned. They promptly found us another vacant unit and gave us the keys to it. It was in much better shape and was obviously well maintained by the owners. The unit was very comfortable and modern and had all the amenities you need for a long term stay.

I only have 2 gripes about the unit itself. First of all, every unit has 2 double beds, not queen or king size beds at all. While a double is doable with 2 people, it did leave something to be desired in the comfort area. It makes no sense to me that they don't have a single rental unit with a larger bed. Most people who are renting a 1 bedroom are coming with 2 people. Secondly, if you have neighbors, especially upstairs from you, you will hear them very well. I would not recommend staying here if you are a light sleeper or at the very least I suggest you request a 3rd floor room.

The final negative point is the house cleaning staff. Aside from the initial room being unclean, the housekeeping staff seemed to be very lax overall. Trash bags would sit outside of rooms for hours during the day. In 5 days, our room was not serviced one time. I was not expecting full service, but I was expecting trash service and fresh towels at least once in 5 days.

As far as the positives go, the resort overall is very pretty and well maintained. If you like golf, you will have all you can handle. The beach (Sunset) is only a 10 minute drive and the shopping of Myrtle beach is 15. The price for what you get can not be beat.

Bottom line, if you are not staying a week, don't have to be right on the beach, or are just looking to take a vacation without breaking the bank, Brunswick Plantation can not be beat. Just be aware that in some areas, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor if you are a light sleeper. If they don't bring you towels, there are clea...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ecpux
Manager030, General Manager at Brunswick Plantation Golf Resort, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
Thank you for your review. Our basic rate does not include daily maid service. This service can be purchased for a nominal fee. The vast majority of our guests appreciate this option. They prefer to keep their cost down and do their own daily light cleaning. All rates include departure cleaning.
Manager
North Carolina
Reviewed 3 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here from July 1st through 3rd for an anniversary getaway trip. We stayed in The Commons II section and had a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom condo, which included a full kitchen, dining room, living room, and balcony with patio furniture. The condo was very spacious and clean and includes dishes/utensils/pots & pans, etc. The bedroom included 2 double beds -- would be nice to offer rooms with a queen or king sized bed instead, but this is a minor detail. Our condo was on the 3rd floor, and there aren't any elevators, so keep that in mind when booking a reservation. We are young, so we didn't mind climbing 3 flights of stairs, but not everyone is capable of that.
There was a pool available but we did not have time to use it during our stay because we chose to spend the day at Sunset Beach instead (which is a VERY nice beach!). From what I could see, the pool was large and had plenty of chairs. This resort also has a golf course, but we did not use that either.
We definitely enjoyed our stay and wished we could have stayed longer. Brunswick is an awesome value for what it offers! It is away from the busy atmosphere of Myrtle Beach, but yet it's close enough to drive to all that Myrtle has to offer. We will definitely be returning!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rachael517
Cape Carteret, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I had heard many good things about Brunswick Plantation and finally decided to try it. It exceeded my expectations and proved to be a great choice. The accommodations were excellent and well thought out. Everything you need is there. The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. The suite we stayed in was immaculate and very comfortable.

The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. All you would expect of southern hospitality. Myrtle Beach and all of its attractions are just a a short drive away. The golfing is world class and just steps away from your private deck or patio. Can't wait to go again!

Room Tip: Get a suite! They are pet friendly!
2 Thank Review4youNC
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 June 2011

My parents, Husband and myself took a small weekend vacation to Calabash NC. We wanted something out of the way of all the crowds but still close enough to drive to North Myrtle BEach. Brunswick Plantaion and Golf Resort was a steal fro $100 a night for a 2 bedroom condo. It was a gated golf community condos were surround by custom built homes and it was very nice and quiet. The condo was sterial but very nice with kitchen dinning room and family room 2 large bathrooms and bedrooms. Plenty of storage space to put everything away neatly, washer and dryer, ironing board, dishes microwave and mini fridge in second bedroom. The beds were full size and very firm. It was about a 20 minute drive to North Myrtle beach and about 10 minutes to Ocean Isle BEach. All in all we were very pleased and will be back again.

3 Thank Kaliryan
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 June 2011

My wife and I stayed and the accomodations were outstanding. All the amenities were available including a pool, jacuzzi, and weight room. It is close to Sunset Beach. Not the crowded beach at Myrtle Beach but a nice, fairly secluded beach. The golf course was challenging and in great condition. Greens were especially nice. Smooth and a good speed. Overall an excellent facility and will be part of our future trips to the Myrtle Beach area!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank golfergus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calabash
Ocean Isle Inn
Holiday Inn Express N. Myrtle Beach-Little River
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 3 in Shallotte

Been to Brunswick Plantation Golf Resort? Share your experiences!