“Clean..good stop for an overnight, not for a vacation.”
Review of Asheville West KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Candler
Asheville West KOA
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We stayed at this KOA for 4 days this past week. Without a doubt, if you're in a tent, pop up or hybrid, the interstate noise is annoying. Sorta like if you we're camping at a highway Rest Area. If you're in a motor home or a hard side travel trailer, with the a/c on, then it probably isn't an issue...we camped in a hybrid travel trailer and sleeping can be troublesome even with the fan on high. All the sites are pull thru, and there's only about 20.

The bathroom and showers are VERY clean, and that's what was important to us. We used this campground as a base camp to go off and do some business and see some sites. The office seems to have varying hours, so if you forgot something at dinner time, or want extra chocolate for your S'mores, get it during the day, or at the Dollar General down the road..they're open later and are probably cheaper anyway.

It's an easy on/ off of the Blue Ridge Parkway, about 15+ miles or so..and easy on/off of the interstate.

The Kamping Kabins are all in a small cluster with a pavilion to cook your meals on an electric stove top..don't think you're off in a quiet secluded honeymoon spot all by yourself cuz you're not. Perfect if you're traveling with a group of friends and want to be all together.

The first night we had a visitor who parked their vehicle on what little uncut/mowed grass there is between the sites..we were told the next day that the owner gets "kinda upset" when he
sees this...We're talking about 2 car tires on sparse grass covered soil. Being a paying customer, I was more "upset" by the uncut long grass around our little fire pit, so I guess we're even.

Would I stay here again? Probably not..

Room Tip: If you're looking for a quiet/remote/mountain view Kamping Kabin, this isn't your place. Bu...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank NO2Diver

Reviewed 25 May 2013

This is a fine campground. The staff are so friendly and helpful and could not have done more to make us feel at home including advising on some motor cycle routes for us to try. Very clean and a few activities kie ice cream social. I do not think I would bring my grandkids here though. Not too much for them to do. Seems more of an adult campground and the other campers were nice as weel. great location but lots of highway noise. Noise was drowned out when a/c was on. All in all not a bad place to stay for adults.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a 40 ft MH. Staff were very nice and friendly. They offered a pancake breakfast and ice cream social with donations going to kids camp ( for kids fighting cancer). They staff here goes out of their way to meet your needs. The only problem is its a little tight getting in and out with a large MH. We would love to stay here again if in the area. Great atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 21 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here one night after a visit to Asheville, NC. We arrived after dark and left by 9 or 10 the next morning so I really didn't see much. They left an info packet at the desk for us since we arrived after hours and provided us with a number to reach them if necessary.
We stayed in a tent so I don't know anything about the cabins. The campsite was plenty big enough, had water and electric hookups, small fire ring, and a picnic table. I chose not to put my tent in the area provided for it due to all the berries from the trees and instead placed my tent closer to my car so there were a lot of gravels.....no one's fault, just how it is.....the tent site was nice and shaded and I'm sure would be great earlier in the year....I just didn't want to clean to my tent.
I was actually closer to the bathrooms than it appeared on the map...which was great. The bathroom/showers were clean enough....just as clean as anything I found in state parks if not cleaner.

It's less than 5 minutes from the interstate so it's convenient. You can hear the interstate but I didn't find it too loud....possibly though because it was drown out by the crickets, jar flies, frogs, etc. which were particularly loud that night and made for great sleeping. I'm doubt you could hear the interstate in an RV or cabin though.

Also there's a dollar store and truck stop nearby as well as a gas station or two if you happen to need anything. I think I saw a Hardee's too but I'm not sure.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 77hollyb
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We stayed in one of the cabins on the camp ground- it was a great stay. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Stayed in a kamping kabin which was conveniently located next to the office and shower/bathroom facilities, which were very clean, considering campground was full for the weekend. My stay here was fine, as always with KOA. The only issue I had was that because all of the kabins were full for the weekend, the trash cans were overflowing. I'm sure that this is nothing unusual for a crowded weekend, so management should have expected this. Except for myself, everyone checked out on Sunday. By Sunday nite the trash cans were still overflowing because they had not been emptied. On Monday morning, it was obvious that overnite, an animal had raided the cans and left the area in quite a mess. I would stay here again. Great location and rates.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We stayed for five nights. The Campground was very clean and staff friendly. It is right off of I40 and although their was traffic noise with the door closed it was not a problem. I definitely would stay their again. It was very convenient in visiting Asheville and the Cherokee areas.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family