“It's Clean, It's Cheap”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Candler
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“It's Clean, It's Cheap”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I came to the Asheville area for a dog show which was being held at the Crowne Plaza, but I didn't want to pay the high CP rate. This hotel is about 15 -20 minutes outside of Asheville in a fairly rural area. It's an exterior access property with the guest rooms in a separate building from the office/lobby.

When I'm traveling with my dog I always check the room out very carefully and although the room felt a little old it was very clean and housekeeping had been doing a good job. The microwave and refrigerator were also in good condition which is where lack of housekeeping attention often shows first.

The air conditioning worked well and they had a full cable channel assortment on the TV. There were several wi-fi networks to choose from, but they all seemed very slow to connect. The hotel is right next to I-40 but I found it to be quiet enough with the help from a little white noise from the air conditioning.

Although I didn't eat there, this hotel does offer both breakfast and dinner, which is a nice service as there wasn't much else nearby. The nearest restaurant was a Travel America truck plaza about 1/4 mile away.

Staff was very friendly and their pet surcharge was lower than other hotels closer in. Overall this is a basic Day's Inn, nothing fancy and reasonably priced.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
gmdiaw, Manager at Days Inn Asheville West, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for the dog show. I am pleased to know you found us to be a convenient location, close enough to downtown Asheville but at a much better price. Thank you for also complementing our excellent housekeeping, maintenance, quiet rooms, friendly service and small pet fee. We hope to be of service to you in future. Sincerely, Manager, Days Inn Asheville West

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My mother and I booked a last minute trip for the Memorial Day weekend and this Days Inn was the only available for our planned location. Positives included our room being clean and everything working fine including the AC, a clean pool and pool area (although should invest in more than 3 lounge chairs), a complimentary breakfast of basics, and friendly staff. Obviously it's not a Hilton, but there were a few things left to be desired.

Firstly, when we were given our keys and told to go to a separate building up the hill to the building with the rooms, we had a very difficult time finding our top floor room due to lack of signs of where the rooms are located in this labyrinth of a building and ended up carrying all of our luggage up to the third floor to find that we were on the wrong side of the building and had to walk all the way around and up more stairs. Wasn't impressed with the total lack of direction for guests to their rooms and to the pool.

Secondly, once we entered our room, my mother noticed that 3 out of 4 screws on the door lock were broken off and gone, which meant anyone could easily come in or break in ... And it's strength was indeed tested, and our anger was tested, when one of the cleaning ladies decided that she'd just walk into our room at 9 in the morning, without knocking, and without any regard for the customers' privacy. Luckily, that one little screw did its job and kept the lady from walking in on us getting dressed for the day.

Like the title says, you truly get what you pay for, especially service and courtesy wise.

• Stayed May 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Noisy, smelly room just opposite the ice machine that was in use all night long. Lumpy pillows gave me a neck-ache. On the other hand, Staff were friendly and helpful. Recommended a great place to eat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am pleased to know our front desk staff was friendly and helpful. I'm sorry to hear your room was uncomfortable. As mentioned in an earlier response, we have only 2 rooms across from the ice machine and we rent them last. We also use Days Inn brand standard Wynrest cluster fiber pillows to ensure comfort and am sorry to hear they were not to your satisfaction. Sincerely, Manager, Days Inn Asheville West

Travellers are raving about these Candler hotels

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The rooms have one large window that runs along the outdoor walkway, and we booked ours for the "Mountain Views", but instead the very noisy automatic ice machine, and vending area was located directly across (less than 10 ft away - as you can see from the photos) from our beds. We were woken up every hour, all night long, every night we stayed by others getting ice and teenagers shaking the vending machines. This area was lit up by florescent lights, so our room was bright all night long. The curtains were very dark, which blocked most of it, but they can't stop the light coming in from the top and around the edges. The walls were paper thin as well and I could hear the children in the room above us running around, and our neighbors screaming in Spanish. The rooms smelled nice, and the beds were really comfy, but due to the noise we left early and stayed on a friends couch for the rest of our trip. My husband mentioned the breakfast and lunch was really good. If you stay here, definitely don't stay outside of the vending area, and ask for a top floor room.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room that is not near the ice machine
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
gmdiaw, Manager at Days Inn Asheville West, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am sorry to hear you did not get the mountain view you requested. I wasn't able to find a Jennifer K registered to the room in the picture or the request for a mountain view on any reservation assigned to that room. The room was probably registered under a different name and if booked online through a 3rd party travel agent, requests are not always communicated to the hotel and cannot always be guaranteed if not available. I will say that we have only 2 rooms out of 115 rooms on the property that are across from the ice machine and those would be the last ones sold for that room type. I am pleased to know that you found the room to be clean and smelling nice with comfy beds and that the drapes efficiently shut out the exterior lighting. I am sorry to hear you were disturbed by other guests and strongly encourage all future guests to report their concerns to the front desk so we can resolve them immediately and you can have a comfortable stay. I hope you will give us another chance to serve you. Sincerely, Manager, Days Inn Asheville West
Somerset, Kentucky
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I reserved two handicap accessible rooms online.
When I did not receive confirmation, I called and talked with the manager (who was very cordial, understanding and helpful). She made reservations for me (at the same rate) and sent me an email confirmation (which I could not open and emailed her back stating same... never heard back from her).

The morning of the stay, I received a phone call from the manager stating that she no longer had two handicap accessible (HA) rooms. I immediately called the second party, who was traveling separately and would arrive prior to us... and asked them to "play dumb" and insist upon the original reserved room. Everything went fine... we also received our handicap accessible (HA) room. All handicap parking places were occupied with vehicles without required permits. The rooms were not really handicap accessible (HA), either, however. Rooms were very small, no room whatsoever for a walker or wheelchair to get through. The only HA accessory were grab bars for the commode and shower. Vanity area and bathroom were too small to maneuver in, even without a walker, cane or wheelchair!

On the good side... the motel was quiet (remote location) and the rooms were clean.

Upon checking out, the rates were increased about $21 above what was quoted/ confirmed.
I did not notice this until after leaving the premises, when checking the receipt.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
gmdiaw, Manager at Days Inn Asheville West, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. I do remember you calling me saying you did not receive confirmations from your online booking and it was my pleasure to book your rooms directly at the hotel. I'm sorry you weren't able to open the confirmation I sent, they are standard PDF files generated by our property management system. I have not found your e-mail indicating you could not open the confirmation and apologize if I overlooked it. I personally did not call to say your handicapped rooms were not available. My desk clerk however mentioned that at check-in, she advised either you or your other party (the 1st to arrive) that the handicapped rooms were not near each other and she'd be happy to change one to a non-handicapped room if proximity was preferred, which is what was chosen. So one of your rooms was not a handicapped room. All of our handicapped rooms are ADA compliant. I'm sorry to hear they were too small to meet your needs. I am pleased to know you found the rooms to be quiet and clean. I also checked your folios and you were charged a senior discount rate of $49.46 + tax per room, which is what I quoted you and there were no additional charges. Please contact me at 828-667-9321 if you would like to clarify your charges. Once again, I'm sorry your stay was less than satisfactory and hope to hear from you. Respectfully, Manager, Days Inn Asheville West
Also consider these accommodations in or near Candler
Red Roof Inn Asheville West
Red Roof Inn Asheville West
#36 of 65 in Asheville
WoodSpring Suites Asheville
WoodSpring Suites Asheville
#48 of 65 in Asheville
Quality Inn West of Asheville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville West (Biltmore Estate)
Sleep Inn West
Sleep Inn West
#16 of 65 in Asheville
Holiday Inn-Asheville Biltmore West

Been to Days Inn Asheville West? Share your experiences!