“Much better than expected (feared)!”

Drifters Reef Hotel
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed 3 November 2013

A lot of reviewers on tripadvisor have been very critical of this motel and so it was with quite a lot of trepidation I entered my room. Luckily the room wasnt nearly as bad as I had feared. Bed was clean (appeared to be at least), floor carpet seemed clean as well and nothing to remark with regards to the bathroom either. Obviously this place isnt the Hilton and you get what you pay for. The bathroom was very basic and quite old but fully functional. We had some problems with a leaky toilet but this problem was taken care of by the staff in a friendly and professional way (we moved rooms). Another complaint in a lot of the reviews here was a smell of cigarettes in the room. I could not smell anything myself but there were a lot of smokers (outside) on the premises and so I cant say if some of the other rooms did smell of smoke. A lot of people seemed to have dogs as well and, although I couldnt smell anything of this either in my room, this could perhaps be the case in other rooms (I love dogs but there is no getting away from the fact that they do smell). The door lock seemed very fragile and a good kick would most likely enable someone to gain access to the room so I did not keep any valuables.

All in all I found this place to be an ok place to stay at for the cost-conscious traveller for a few days. For longer stays I would probably find something newer though.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank jamesmac32
driftersreef, Manager at Drifters Reef Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you so much for your review. I am glad our staff was able to assist you in moving rooms. Cleanliness if very important to us, thank you for noticing that the rooms are kept neat and clean. All of our rooms are non-smoking and we do everything we can to enforce that. We love dogs as well and offer specific rooms that are pet friendly! Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I was concerned by some of the reviews, but booked our trip anyway because of the cost & location. The rooms and property is well cared for and clean. All employees were courteous and helpful. The restaurant/bar was terrific...lots of great music and food. We had our 12 year old grandson who enjoyed sitting on the porch watching us dancing! We watched the football game on Sunday and it was terrific! Don't hesitate staying here unless you are a "goody-2-shoes"...remember this isn't the Hilton and doesn't cost as much as the Hilton either!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank kmkelly_1998

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves on being an affordable, family-oriented and run hotel and hope you will stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Hi,
We are very welcomed at trying new things, but this place was nothing good of nothing!
Everyone who stayed there smoked, Oh yes every guest except us of course!
Harley Davidson motorcycles racing their motors all day and night. Screaming kids, where where their parents. I was awoken at 4:40am to 2 women (drunk) with a 6 yr old walking outside.
The 6 yr old called 911 (come on) 2 adults and he still did it. Bad parenting!
Our Shower had no showerhead! The room was musty smelling upon arrival!
I would have to say if you are going to stay somewhere to save money it would be safer to stay further from the beach and get a cheaper rate, but a nicer motel or hotel!
We left after 2 days and went to the Hilton garden hotel in Wilmington. It was amazing, You Do Get what you Pay for! We will never go back to the Drifters Reef in Carolina Beach and will tell all of our friends about our horrible experience. I loved the restaurant. Even outdoor bands on summer weekends!! Great job Lazy Pirate Restaruant!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor rooom away from the pool and the pet rooms! Who takes their dog on vacation anyw...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank fromhardtoplease
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I booked a pet friendly room for me and my 2 girls (age 10 and 6)! We had the BEST time at this hotel!! First the pet friendly rooms are tiled so when we walked in it was spotless! The bedspreads you can tell get washed after every guest which I loved as well!! We headed to their "Salt water" pool and relaxed.... it is close to the road, so you do hear some traffic until you let your mind go while on vacation. The staff was very friendly to me, my daughters and my dog! I would suggest bringing some hangers while staying here though, there is no towel racks or little hooks to hang wet towels/swimming suits in room. The Lazy Pirate restaurant next door has some of the best food and on Tuesdays kids eat free! If you are looking for a comfortable affordable clean place to stay, this is your place. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel with room service and beach view this isnt your place. This is a family owned and operated hotel that I will be bringing my family back too!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Dreamtask
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Arrived 8/4 and checked out 8/6. Travelling with our 8 mo old puppy. Front desk staff was very friendly and the lobby was clean but could have used some updating. The room was a non-smoking, 2 full size beds, small frig, TV and basic bath. The floors are ceramic which was nice and the place smelled very clean upon our entering. I always travel with room deotorizers (its my little quirk). Removed the bed cover as I do not believe most hotels clean from one guest to another. The shower was clean but stained. There is a pool on property which was clean and some nice seating. There is also a nice area in which you can walk your dog. Since we knew we would not be spending a lot of time in the room this place was just fine. If you travel with children FYI there is no kitchen which means no place to really make sandwiches. There is a bar/restaurant beside the motel which can be a bit loud at night but we were so tired it did not keep us up. We would probably stay here again as we just needed a place to sleep at night.

Room Tip: Stayed on 1st floor which was nice since had a dog. Stay away from the bar/restaurant.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gracie l
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Been to lots of motels in this condition but for this price they were right on the beach. It was at least 6 blocks from the neach. The front desk lady was rude and in a terrible mood, and I went to the front desk 3 times on 3 separate days and she was rude every time. The door knob on the exterior door was an interior door knob with NO dead bolt and a flimsy chain. No security at all. The two interior doors had holes punched and kicked in them. The bedding had cigarette holes in them and the room was non-smoking yet smelled like smoke. It was a deluxe suite that slept 6 yet had two full beds and a gross pull out couch. Two adults of normal size do not fit on full size beds. They also gave us 3 towels, total. Never anywhere to park because of the bar next door. Terrible stay, terrible hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Candy S
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We went to Carolina Beach for a few days of vacation and were looking for a place we could bring our 75lb dog. This place was basic, but clean and within walking distance to all the local attractions. It isn't 5- star, but the prices are very reasonable and we were happy overall!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple