Drifters Reef Hotel
US$175
US$171
Travelocity
  • Pool
Oceaneer Motel(Carolina Beach)(Great Value!)
US$191
Golden Sands(Carolina Beach)(Great Value!)
US$180
SeaWitch Motel(Carolina Beach)
TripAdvisor
All reviewslazy piraterestaurant next doorcorn holefront desk clerkmemorial day weekendchain hotelplace to stayextra towelswalking distance to everythinghousekeeping staffnice poollove this placepetvolleyballbedspreadrates
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We have stayed at the Drifter's Reef a few times now and have had a great experience every time- it is definitely the best place to stay on the beach! It is the perfect location, very close to restaurants and only a few blocks away from the beach and boardwalk area. Many of these reviews seem overly critical... our room has always been extremely clean and the staff is very friendly! (And these are both very important to us.) It is not a brand new or chain hotel- it is a family owned beach hotel which adds to the charm of staying at Carolina Beach. Every time we go we can tell that they are constantly making improvements and updates. Also it is very affordable, especially compared to other hotels in the area. We also love having the Lazy Pirate next door. It's so fun to go over there and listen to the live music and then be able to walk across the parking lot back to our room. They also have volleyball and corn-hole. While we have not brought our dog with us, I have asked about doing so and was told they have designated pet rooms. As far as I know they are the only place on Carolina Beach that has pet friendly rooms.

Overall this is a great hotel. We don't even consider staying anywhere else when we head to the beach! We love their great location, clean rooms, and affordable prices, and the kids love the pool! I definitely recommend this hotel to others traveling to Carolina Beach.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Don't expect somewhere to park. They let the bar park in the lot instead of the hotel guest. Hello use your heads. You park the bar in the over fill lots not your guest that is paying you money. They only gave us two towels and when I asked they told me to tell the maid when she came thru. I'm at the beach I'm not sitting around for your maI'd to tell her how to do her job. Horrible experience will never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank cablegirl81
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The front desk clerk - Amy, was fantastic. The room was dated, but very clean.
The mattress was horrible. Weekends, the restaurant next door, LOUD band on the weekends.
Sent 2 emails to the motel addressing the mattress, but they are not answering my complaint.

Room Tip: Until they replace the mattresses, I don't recommend.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Stan M
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Here we are, back again. No place feels like home like Drifter's Reef. We are so happy to come back to our VIP room, we call it. Everything is clean and comfortable and I enjoy the strong shower and hair dryer. I love to lay back and enjoy the cable TV or the free internet. When we're in the mood for the beach we can either walk down or drive. It's usually not hard to find a parking place. Maybe you would like the nice, clean, big pool too. When we're in the mood for eating out all we have to do is go to the Lazy Pirate next door. They have such great seafood, I love the scallops and you get a lot of food. We enjoy listening to the live music. We've even been known to dance, too. You won't find a better deal anywhere and you get a discount if you stay at the Drifter's Inn. LeeAnn is the manager at Drifter's Reef and she is the nicest person you will ever meet. She and her staff make sure you have everything you want and if you have any concerns or questions all you have to do is ask. We are treated like family and are called by our first name. Why not come out and have some fun and it not cost you a fortune either? Drifters Reef is our Place in the Sun.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Peggy S
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I’m giving them 5 starts not based on the quality of the motel but of our overall experience.

We’ve stayed there three times now and each time we’ve had a positive experience. The price is excellent, considering the location! You can walk to the beach and to all the bars and restaurants in the area. Now, while the rooms are not top of the line they are clean. Considering they are a dog friendly motel (which is hard to come by) and considering how many pets pass though those rooms, you can’t really have extremely expensive bedding and furniture in there as not everyone’s pets are well trained. So the bedding is simple and so is the décor, the floors are tile and that makes them easy to clean. You could definitely smell the Lysol in the room when you first enter but that only tells me that it was cleaned really well. You have to remember it’s important to eliminate the smells of the last pets in the room so the new ones don’t try and mark over them.

We actually picked this place because of the bar next door. Yes, the music can be a little loud but they only have it late on Saturday nights and it’s nice because you can enjoy the live entertainment and bar and walk over to your room and crash. I can understand if you are a light sleeper the noise may bother you. If you are used to fancy hotels then this might not be the place for you, it's low key and laid back and as a young couple with no kids( except our german shep) this was the perfect place to stay.

Most importantly and the main reason we go back there is the staff. Everyone we encountered loves animals and they’re extremely accommodating and friendly to pets. It is this welcoming attitude that keeps us returning. I hate going to places that seem annoyed with your pets. Every staff person we encountered was friendly and polite and that is hard to find.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple