“A Dump! Stay very far away!”
Review of Mermaid Manor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carolina Beach
Mermaid Manor
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I just got home from a three night stay at this dump! Do. Not. Stay. Here!!!! Fair warning, I stupidly did not read these reviews before I booked a room.

I cannot find one good thing to say about this place, period! Shabby, 1980's garage sale furniture, absolutely NO amenities whatsoever!! I have traveled across county several times with my dogs and have NEVER encountered such poor conditions for SO MUCH MONEY!!! When I checked in, someone had left two dogs in the room above mine and they barked non-stop the entire time I was there! Fortunatly, they checked out the next day, as I was planning on leaving and eating the money(forget any 24 hour notice, etc....they don't refund $$!). All dirty, old wooden floors, not even a small throw rug next to the bed!! The noise is UNBELIEVEABLE!!! I cannot express how very bad it was....three days of NO peace and quiet!!! The manager flies around(after drinking beers)and clomps and bangs with no regard to their tenants! Her husband, Dan, was looking for her on Sunday and wasn yelling down the hallway for her and said "where the f.... are you, Pat". This is the truth, anyone that was there would have heard him! I was shocked, offended and felt totally disrespected. This place is NOT cheap, mind you! They have no rules for noise or dogs left in rooms....a nightmare!

Also, NO MAID SERVICE....at all! I was shown where she keeps the broom so I could sweep the sand off my floor!!

This is NOT a safe area, drunks, homeless, etc and NO PARKING!!!! I had to park in a open dirt lot across the street and I own a collectible convertible!! As a single woman, I did not feel safe in ANY respect at this establishment! The lock on the door of your room is a joke, you could just push your way in!!! No security, plus a fire hazard...all wood and old as the hills...dusty, dirty...As in the other complaints....the pool was unusable my entire stay because they had not gotten their permit...I was not informed of this, either!!

Here is what you get(I paid $125 a night for a tiny room and miniscule bathroom): a couple of towels and a bar of Irish Spring soap....that's it, folks!!! No coffee for the ancient coffee pot, nothing! An old TV, remote barely worked and basic cable....oh, plus - no TV guide which was really fun trying to find the shows I wanted to watch!!! I mean, COME ON! We are all from out of town!

Also, as in previous reviews...dog friendly but NOT the beach!!!!! Why the heck do they think we are bringing our pets?!!? So the one day I took them out I got stopped by the beach police!!!

I just spent close to $400 to stay IN HELL!!! Stay away! I beg of you!

Room Tip: There are no "good" rooms!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank Judy C
There are newer reviews for Mermaid Manor

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We were last-minute shopping for a place to stay for ourselves as a couple, our 2-year-old, and our dog. Advertised as a "Pet-Friendy" place, we stopped, and were quite surprised by the charm of this place. We stayed in the ocean-front suite upstiars. There was a leaking sink in the bedroom/kitchen room, but other than that, the management were super to make sure we were happy, even pulled out an umbrella stroller for us if we decided to walk to the boardwalk more comfortably, and let us borrow a pail and shovel for our toddler to play with in the sand. The pool was crystal clear and inviting, and the view and breeze through the den window was nice, especially at night. The rocking chairs were a bonus on our porch.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Mermaid Inn for a quick get-a-way weekend March 30-April 1, 2012. We are pretty easy to please and were not expecting a "chain" experience. Yes, the decor includes older furniture and the kitchen didn't have a stove, just a hot plate but our two rooms (202) had an amazing view of the ocean from the living room and we could sit on a porch right outside our window. TV is not the reason we went so we didn't care about the TVs being old. The bed was a very comfy king with clean sheets and we were given towels, washcloths, hand towels and soap. The shower was old with regrouting and some people might find that a problem but we weren't expecting a modern tiled bath. We didn't have pets with us but didn't have any problems related to fleas or barking. We like the "real" beaches of North Carolina, not luxury cottages or high-end villas so we were very comfortable. The location is excellent and we walked to restuarants for dinner and of course Britt's Donuts for breakfast. The place is eclectic but we found it to be clean, interesting and the staff were friendly. All-in-all, a nice, quiet, beachy weekend.

Room Tip: Ocenafront rooms on the second floor have a great view, not so much on the first floor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nc2njgirl
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Great place to stay, friendly people and fun environment. I would recommend the Mermaid Manor to others and can't wait to return.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Jgarnette
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My wife and I finally had a weekend away with no children and wanted to get away to the beach, our favorite, but wanted to take the dog. We booked a room online and wasn't expecting the Hilton but what we got was horrible. When we pulled up with nowhere to park by the way, it had been painted since the pictures on the website and looked like something from a Tim Burton movie. After going in the owners "living room" to check in we were told that we had to enter from the rear because they lived up front, we got our key walked thru a nasty alleyway to the rear where there was trash, rusty junk, unsafe walkways and a pool that looked like it should be condemed. Our "oceanfront" room looked out on a block wall and a nasty pool, if you could have seen thru the filthy windows. The door to our room was a louver door with a piece of plywood hinged on. The room stank of mildew, the place was dirty, our only heat was a small space heater the kept overheating and shutting off, the "kitchen" area was 1 huge refrigerator that took up the whole area, the only sink was in there, was not one in the bathroom, the only plug was an extension cord that just kinda hung there had to plug the coffee pot in on the nightstand. The bathroom was dark and dirty, the stand up shower was so small only a small child could have used it. Everything was old and outdated, I have seen nicer stuff thrown away on the side of the road. I used to be a truck driver and have had to stay in some bad places but this ranks right there with the worst of them. My poor wife was terrified of the place because of the filthy conditions, absolutley no kind of security, you could have pushed right thru the closet door that was posing as a room door. I don't see how anyone could give this place a decent review let alone some of of the ones I read here, must be the owners, it was terrible and I would rather sleep in a tent than stay there again. I could keep naming things that were wrong with this place but I think you get the idea. Run away.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Scott T
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We loved this place.Location couldn't be better.We walked to everything.It was clean and very peaceful'People were nice and they let one of our dogs stay without a pet fee.

Room Tip: We loved our 2 room on the oceanfront
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

OK let's start with the cons- The pictures people have posted are real- and one shows a shower- well I didn't take pics of ours, but it was WORSE than that one! For what we paid, I expected something different.
1. The kitchen IS IN the MASTER bedroom, and is a small counter, sink, microwave and a 2 burner hotplate that takes 30 min to boil water.
2. Cockroaches. We saw them in the daytime. I am confident in saying they do not employ a pest control company. Need I say more?
3. Dirty. Seriously. They never even sweep under furniture or in corners. They must just clean the centers of the rooms. It's a pet friendly motel, but seriously- there was fur on the floor, on the comforters, and the drawers were so fur-filled I couldn't use them.
4. Size. Wow. The bathroom was a very inconvenient pass through from the 'living area' to the bedroom, and 2 people CANNOT go through at the same time.
5. Decor- wow...like they went to several garage sales in 1985 and said 'I'll take it all!"
6. The remotes did not work- not programmed.
7. The shower was not labeled- took us a long time to get the right temp- and it sprayed everywhere.
8. Privacy? HA! Security? What a joke! Your 'front door' is a bedroom door with a key. Oh, and there are SLATS in the door that have been covered up with a board.
9. The 'kitchen' had 1 sauce pan, 1 skillet, and minimal mixmatched dishes, we had to take turns eating cereal and had to improvise for other things like a can opener, strainer, etc...we had 1 roll of TP. This is NOT the Hilton, or even Motel 8.
Ok, onto the GOOD stuff...
1. and Dan, the innkeepers are very nice people.
2. Very neat old building.
3. The pool was refreshing and clean!
4. The location and view are GREAT!! Wow, you can sit out on the back deck and watch the sun rise and the waves crash on the beach right over the dunes, and the pool under you...very cool.
5. Private boardwalk to the beach. Wow. Very close, LOVED that.
6. Bed. I can't speak for all the rooms, but our room had a great pillow top mattress that was CLEAN and the sheets even looked good. We slept great.
7. Cable.