“NOT for picky people!”
Review of Mermaid Manor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carolina Beach
Mermaid Manor
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Let me start off by saying that my boyfriend and I are very laid back, go with the flow kind of people. We decided last minute to get away for Labor Day weekend, knowing it would be hard to find a hotel room and that we may have to settle. I'd researched Carolina Beach hotels before and came across the Mermaid Manor many times. We called and they had a room available, so we went ahead and booked, not really knowing what to expect. It's hard to miss the bright purple house at the beach! When we arrived, we had a bit of a difficult time finding the parking lot and the entrance is actually on the other main street of Carolina Beach, but not a big deal. Check in was easy, we were walked to our room. We were staying in one bedroom of their two bedroom suite, but the door between the two were locked. There was a queen bed, a twin bed, two refrigerators (one full size, one mini), a little kitchen with sink and a TV. While the bedding on the two beds did not match, they were in fact CLEAN linens. Our towels were clean as well. Yes, the floor was sandy - but we're at the beach people! The bathroom was just a toilet and a stall shower, no sink I imagine because we were sharing the two bedroom suite. Not a big deal since there was a sink in the main room. Yes, it would have been nice to have some hand soap to wash with. Next time we will bring our own. The shower was VERY small, but we are big people (I'm 5'10 and my bf is 6'2) but we made do. There wasn't any mold or mildew as previous reviewers have stated. It was as clean as could be given the age of the place. The a/c unit in the window worked fine for the duration of our stay and we were never warm inside our room. But with that said, we are at the beach, we don't spend much time in the room. We were really just looking for a place to sleep at night, so we weren't too concerned with the amenities. As far as we were concerned, this place provided us with a bed to sleep in at the end of the day and that's all we needed. This place is about as oceanfront as you can get. Yes, you have to walk across the sand dunes to get to the beach, but I'm pretty sure that's still considered oceanfront. Even if you rent a house or condo, there's still going to be a walkway to the beach. One last thing, this place is pet friendly! While we left our pets at home, others did not. Yes, we woke up to a barking dog one morning and other dogs barked during the day - we didn't mind. But if you don't want to deal with that, then don't stay here! This place certainly has charm, but like my title says, it is not for picky people. We will stay here again if need be.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jlk2683

Reviewed 20 August 2012

pictures that are posted most have been twenty five years ago!! our room was nothing like the pictures on the internet, false advertisement!! misleading!! nasty mold and mildew it is not clean at all, rusty hot plate is the stove, a big hole in the top of the shower , i was scared to death that something was gunna come out of it.
they did not give out any soap!! we were lucky to get toilet paper. the floors were falling in , what a rat hole!!!!!! but we were charged like we stayed at the ocean front hilton!!!!!! never ever again!!! we learned a lesson!!! ALWAYS READ THE REVIEWS BEFORE YOU PAY!!!!!! THE PERKINS!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank keith and sally p
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Once again I cant thank Pat and Dan for a great and wonderful vacation at the Mermaid Manor. You cant expect the Marriot Valet parking room service type vacation. This is more on the bed and breakfast type stay. Each stay Pat and Dan have consistantly catored to our needs multiple times. Our air conditioner didnt work and they replaced it immediately with a new one. They made my children feel like family and let them help with the pool or gave them keys for a suveniour. This is the first year I took my nieces and the convenience to everything is wonderful. Some of us could stay at the pool and others at the beach and only be 50 feet away from each other. Thank you again Pat and Dan for a wonderful stay at Mermaid Manor..sorry it took so long to thank you!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2012

They will over charge you. They charged my card double. They refuse to give me back full credit. They are very ugly and the place stinks. They had a dog in the next room barking.They have fleas.
The rooms are musky smealing. The floors are leaning so all the old furniture is leaning and nasty.
Just AWFUL and EXPENSIVE for a dump. NOT OCEANFRONT

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank JustMe252
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I read most of the reviews and agree with most for the same reasons . Weird room layout , out dated everything , no security , no parking , overall filthy so I won't repeat them . We booked at the last minute and wanted to take out small dogs . During the trip my dog lost her toy and I made the mistake of looking under the bed for it .... OMG it was so disgusting ! It looked like they had swept all the dirt under the bed when/if they clean , same thing under the sink cabinet.
When we booked we were told they had grill amenities , HA ! The grill is on the side of the house and sits on a piece of plywood in the sand. They gave us 5 pieces of charcoal to cook 5 pieces of chicken , needless to say my hubby stood there for almost an hour trying to cook the dang things.
Location was the only desirable aspect .
I won't ever stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone .

Room Tip: want a good room ? stay some place else
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank justagirlin_nc
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We had an overnight stay in one of the rooms at Mermaid Manor. While it was clean and had a good beach front location, I don't think I will be back. It is very awkardly designed - hardly any kitchen space or usage is possible. There is a sink in the living room, right next to the sleeper sofa - which is too close for comfort. The furnishings seemed well worn though clean. The rooms are extremely dark and claustrophoic. The beach front is only available for 2 rooms and ours was not one of them. There is a patio one cans it on but smoking is allowed on it, which made it undesirable to us. The beach front is extremely close which is a plus. One can bring pets too which might be a bonus if you want a vacation with them.

The owners were helpful and cheerful. However, I think even for the price it charges, I probably wouldn't be back even for one night stays as it seems kind of garish and tacky and not a relaxing place when on vacation.

We only chose the place because it was a last minute overnight stay and everything else was booked.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank sunshine_coffee
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I stayed at this cozy oceanside inn this past weekend, and was very pleased with my selection. The managers, Patty and Dan, went out of thier way to make sure I was comfortable and had all the information I needed on the area. Having a pool and the ocean right outside my backdoor was a huge plus!!! I would highly recommend it and will stay here again!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo