“Great time...Peaceful place”
Review of Mermaid Manor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carolina Beach
Mermaid Manor
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I had a terrific time @ Mermaid Manor. The managers Patty & her husband were great. She always asked us when we ran into her if there was anything we needed. They did not bother you or knock on your door. We like that it is a quiet place...not a party place. Thanks Patty for a wonderful time. We hope to come back sometime. I love that it is just a brief walk to the beach and the boardwalk.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Ever stay at a friends place, and think, wow, they really want us to be comfortable? Well, this is it. There are ups and downs with the place, but I'm going to say that my family had a great time, we felt very comfortable. The managers were super helpful with us, but weren't intrusive at all.
I saw some reviews about cleanliness coming into question, and I can't see where this was a problem at all. The place is old, which shouldnt be mistaken for not clean. We had to switch rooms after our first night (which we knew in advance) and I will say I preferred our first room a little better, it just felt a little more like us. I had an issue with the second room, and Patty and her husband were super helpful to get it taken care of, so very friendly.
At first I was a little nervous, to not have the "by the books" way about things, but all in all I think it added to the comfort of our stay. Oh and the linens, awesome quality!!
Now, we are not a smoking family, so my biggest complaint was smoking allowed on the porches, and that was because a man with a cigar was planted right beside the door as we were moving our things in, and that smell lingers for me, and with the rain mixed in with the stale ash odor, ew. But you can tell the inside of the rooms had not been smoked in, which was a giant plus.
The first room had a pull out sofa, which my kids said was very comfortable, however the futon in the second room wasn't as pleasant for them to sleep on. Again, all of this just adds to the quirkiness of the place, I always felt like I was getting to stay at a friends house, not a hotel.
The first room was oceanfront, but honestly, the window opened to the shared porch, so we left it shut, so we didnt really feel like we lost out when we had to trade to a non oceanfront room.
LOCATION!!! oh my goodness, it was the best we've stayed at in carolina beach yet. so close to the boardwalk, but far enough away to not hear any of it (0.2 miles i do believe) Also, right over the dunes to the ocean, and the walkway was kept nice and clean. Speaking of clean, the pool was also wonderful.
Will we stay again? I think so, however, it felt like it was a little pricey to stay at my" friends house", but then again, it is peak season!!!

Room Tip: I didn't get to see the rooms on the lower floor, but if you are a morning person, the rooms on...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Just finished a week of bliss on the ocean! Mermaid Manor was my capsule away from the reality of "the grind". My ocean view room allowed me to enjoy the ocean even when I wasn't outside and the rocking chair deck was large enough for me to feel like I "had my own space" even when other guests were on it with me. Mermaid Manor has a "step back in time" feel of an old manor; with beautifully stained old worn pine planks from ceiling to floor...
The Manor hosts, Patty and her husband were warm and inviting...letting me know where all the best local places to eat were and giving me just enough info to help me navigate through the week...without invading my space.
It would be a great place to write that novel....
This place delivers a big bang for the buck....I loved it and I will be back!

Room Tip: I love the upstairs...but the whole place is charming!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Me and my kids had a terrible time they false advertised there are no 2 bedroom suites no stoves in the rooms the managers stayed drunk and lastly they are racist please don't waste your money please do your homework

• Stayed: June 2013
8  Thank cutelissa
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Why anyone, who has any experience vacationing at a beach, complains about Mermaid Manor, mystifies me. Yes, it is rustic. Mermaid Manor is ocean front even though there is a sand dune--sand dunes are a component of a healthy beach. Towels, sheets, soap, toilet paper, microwave, and mini refrigerator are provided and they are clean and fresh. One guest's review complained that she and her family/teen-agers were ousted due to creating a disturbance. My response to that is: no sympathy--there was a family staying above me that had two very large teen-age "boys" who sounded like a herd of elephants as they tromped around above my head, moved furniture, opened futons (or were they dropped barbells?), etc. until midnight, not to mention that the volume on the TV seemed to be turned as high as possible. (So entitled, rude, and inconsiderate...who were these people?) I complained the next day and that was the end of that. It was amazing how quiet they could be when necessary. I never heard any noise from any other unit as other guests were aware of their surroundings and considerate. Yes, guests have to walk across the street to park their cars. It is not far at all! There is a space next to the building where guests can conveniently unload when registering and load up when leaving. Good restaurants are very close. I loved the casual atmosphere. The managers were attentive and responsive. A great time! Best of all--I was able to bring my black lab.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank EED5
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I rented this room for 1 night. Told the lady at the desk that it was 4 of us. We was kicked out in the middle of the night because my teenage son and his friends came to the room. I was told she didn't rent the room to them. The lady was extremely drunk and causing a ruckus. I gathered our things and left. She began leaving drunk threatening voice mails on my phone. I couldn't even get a refund for the room!

• Stayed: June 2013
7  Thank Us123we
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Remember when you went to the beach as a child? If you are looking for what going to the beach used to be like you've come to the right place. No big chain, ultra modern put ons. This is a family run business. Come on in, throw your gear outback. Track too much sand in your room? There's the broom. Sure the place is older, but that is what gives it it's charm! My room was first floor, on the small side, but hey, the real action is outside. We are at the beach. Lots of towels, clean linen, soap, AND toilet paper. There is an old bookcase in the hallway filled with reading material. Lots of rockers for porch time. Swimming pool was very clean, lots of chairs, and even bicycles. Out the back door, across the boardwalk, and BEACH. Would I stay there again? Yes! Parking is across the street, but you can unload your stuff practically at the door if need be. Pets are allowed and Gibby's across the way will allow them to dine with you on the back terrace. You can eat outback overlooking the boat docks. If you want, you can ride up to Fort Fisher info center, here your dog, on 6 foot leash, can go out with you to the water.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple