“Not A Good Place To Stay!!!!”
Review of Mermaid Manor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carolina Beach
Mermaid Manor
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Lady who's in charge of the Motel at first was nice but then problematic. She doesn't let any visitors come visit you, she's a stalker (Very intimidating), Gives you all kinds of problems, racist, two face, etc.... I personally don't recommend people to stay there not even for a mimute. The building probably was made in the 1800s. The kitchen is Very Tiny about 3ft long. Not so clean. Awful. I rather stay in the car sleeping than staying in this Motel.

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank krodas1117

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I've been here twice and have two more weekends booked. I can afford much more pricy accommodations, but I choose this place. Not a lot of bells and whistles, no room service, no restaurant...but management is friendly, I can bring my dog, its clean/ quiet, convenient, and I love that I dont have to deal with the issues that come with staying at a large chain hotel. Highly recommended! Pat and Dan are awesome.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Well, I'd like to first start by saying, if you are looking for all the finer things in life then perhaps you should either stay home or find another place. This is an older home that has been converted to a motel. The location is perfect and my husband and I found it on a whim when he and I decided at the last minute to get away. Our first night was perfect, nice and quiet.. The inn-keepers were very welcoming. As far as being alcoholics I think those reviews are nonsense!! Again, this place is a bed and breakfast (without the breakfast lol) style place. Not a corporate chain ran by people who punch a time card. This is their home! What they do at their home is none of our business as long as they do their job and attend to the guests then I see no problem. I've seen on here that they didn't have soap.. well who travels without soap? really? Did you ask for soap when you realized you didnt have any? I'm sure it was an oversight because that was the first thing I noticed when I walked in my room was soap. The room was clean when we got there, clean linens, towels everything! It's not the Hilton people, it's an older house.. as far as the pictures I've seen posted on here, I didn't see anything of those sorts while I was there.
Now, for my only complaint, I understand it is a pet friendly facility, I knew that going in to it because it specifically states that. However, I would suggest that it be limited to 1 dog and that the dog not be left alone while they are staying. There were 2 different guests in 2 rooms surrounding us and they each had 2 dogs.. During the house's busier part of the evening (other guests coming and going) those dogs barked for 4 hours straight.. One set would stop and the others would start. It was rather annoying but I'm pretty sure if I had complained about it that it would have been taken care of as best as possible. But I'm really not a complaining person. All and all we had a great stay and we will be going back!! Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: We had the King suite.. it was nice, had a kitchen, living room with a pull out, and king sized bed...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DandB-Massey
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Firstly, there is a reason that this place is #11 of 15 in places to stay at Carolina Beach. We arrived late in the evening due to car trouble. When my fiancé checked in he said the smell of dog feces and alcohol was strong. I personally saw the owner/manager stumble onto the front porch after he checked in. I won't say she was drunk because personally I can't vouch for anything more than I saw but based in his account and previous reviews I can take a guess. I CAN however vouch for the fact that the parking is not just across the street but across the street and beyond another parking lot and while it wasn't a LONG walk, it certainly was not convenient. The walkway behind the house/hotel was littered with trash and junk - a complete eyesore and not stuff guests should see on their way into a supposed "relaxing atmosphere". I could overlook the "homey" atmosphere of the walk to our first floor "single room" but was sorely disappointed at the appearance of our room compared to pictures on the website. Firstly, it was obvious that the foundation itself seems to be collapsing as the slant from one side of the room to the other is marked. The furniture was in terrible shape, gouges in the dresser and an eyesore with an old school TV. The ceiling fan light did not work although the ceiling fan was pretty. Unfortunately it was about the nicest thing in the room. We were told there was a fridge in the room but there was not one. The room is TINY with a bathroom that has a door that adjoins to the room next door - kinda creepy and paint was scratched and peeling on the doorframes, etc. There were painted green ceramic shells on the back of the toilet with chipping paint - not attractive. The standup shower was nothing like pictures on the site (maybe these are the upstairs rooms?) with a clear plastic curtain that barely stretched across the entrance of the shower. There is a window unit for air conditioning. There is also only a thin door to the outside hallway with NO security latch. There was no security latch on the adjoining door either. I could have probably sucked it up and stayed given how late it was, however there were other serious concerns - there was a noticeable hole in the comforter of our bed and stains on the circa 1960 bedspread (someone else posted and complained about this same bedspread on another complaint site). The pillows were completely flat. We still may have stayed as we were exhausted but then we noticed the BUGS that crawled across the bed. We decided immediately we had to leave and found another hotel down the road that was more expensive but NO BUGS. I understand that this is a 1950s hotel/house and the knotty pine walls and ceiling were beautiful. It could be a gem but instead it is a neglected dump. It's a joke that they advertise a honeymoon suite. Poor honeymoon couples who think they are headed to paradise - this is NOT it. The following day we addresed our issues with the owner who, when my fiancé tried to explain became belligerent and stated "OH, here we go again, let's hear it!" And when he began to tick off the issues she refused a refund and hung up on him. Had she even offered to refund the second night I doubt if even be writing this review. I have pictures of everything I have stated here as proof including a video of one of the bugs. I don't know who wrote the positive reviews but their standards must be ALOT lower than ours - and we were really only looking for the basics. I suspect the good reviews were not posted by anyone who stayed in the downstairs single rooms - and perhaps even by the owners themselves. Seems that the last reviews were from last year - also odd. Again, this place could be a gem but it's obvious the owners do not care. We were refused a refund and have had to dispute it on our card. Bottom line DO YOUR HOMEWORK - there are complaints on other sites, all you have to do is search. This is not new management as the site suggests - the innkeepers are the very same that are in other reviews and complaints from other sites. If you want a relaxing weekend and care about your accommodations do not stay at this house of horrors!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ami B
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I had a terrific time @ Mermaid Manor. The managers Patty & her husband were great. She always asked us when we ran into her if there was anything we needed. They did not bother you or knock on your door. We like that it is a quiet place...not a party place. Thanks Patty for a wonderful time. We hope to come back sometime. I love that it is just a brief walk to the beach and the boardwalk.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Ever stay at a friends place, and think, wow, they really want us to be comfortable? Well, this is it. There are ups and downs with the place, but I'm going to say that my family had a great time, we felt very comfortable. The managers were super helpful with us, but weren't intrusive at all.
I saw some reviews about cleanliness coming into question, and I can't see where this was a problem at all. The place is old, which shouldnt be mistaken for not clean. We had to switch rooms after our first night (which we knew in advance) and I will say I preferred our first room a little better, it just felt a little more like us. I had an issue with the second room, and Patty and her husband were super helpful to get it taken care of, so very friendly.
At first I was a little nervous, to not have the "by the books" way about things, but all in all I think it added to the comfort of our stay. Oh and the linens, awesome quality!!
Now, we are not a smoking family, so my biggest complaint was smoking allowed on the porches, and that was because a man with a cigar was planted right beside the door as we were moving our things in, and that smell lingers for me, and with the rain mixed in with the stale ash odor, ew. But you can tell the inside of the rooms had not been smoked in, which was a giant plus.
The first room had a pull out sofa, which my kids said was very comfortable, however the futon in the second room wasn't as pleasant for them to sleep on. Again, all of this just adds to the quirkiness of the place, I always felt like I was getting to stay at a friends house, not a hotel.
The first room was oceanfront, but honestly, the window opened to the shared porch, so we left it shut, so we didnt really feel like we lost out when we had to trade to a non oceanfront room.
LOCATION!!! oh my goodness, it was the best we've stayed at in carolina beach yet. so close to the boardwalk, but far enough away to not hear any of it (0.2 miles i do believe) Also, right over the dunes to the ocean, and the walkway was kept nice and clean. Speaking of clean, the pool was also wonderful.
Will we stay again? I think so, however, it felt like it was a little pricey to stay at my" friends house", but then again, it is peak season!!!

Room Tip: I didn't get to see the rooms on the lower floor, but if you are a morning person, the rooms on...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Just finished a week of bliss on the ocean! Mermaid Manor was my capsule away from the reality of "the grind". My ocean view room allowed me to enjoy the ocean even when I wasn't outside and the rocking chair deck was large enough for me to feel like I "had my own space" even when other guests were on it with me. Mermaid Manor has a "step back in time" feel of an old manor; with beautifully stained old worn pine planks from ceiling to floor...
The Manor hosts, Patty and her husband were warm and inviting...letting me know where all the best local places to eat were and giving me just enough info to help me navigate through the week...without invading my space.
It would be a great place to write that novel....
This place delivers a big bang for the buck....I loved it and I will be back!

Room Tip: I love the upstairs...but the whole place is charming!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo