“The Good and the not so good” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mermaid Manor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carolina Beach
Mermaid Manor
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Charlotte, North Carolina
“The Good and the not so good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

The good is the awesome oceanfront location, the large room size, and the fact that Mermaid Manor is pet friendly. The area is quiet and private as there is an empty lot on one side and a private residence on the other. Patty, the manager, is very helpful and friendly.
The not so good is that there is a definite need for some TLC in many areas. We had the 2 room suite upstairs that was ample sized and had a great view of the beach from the window but could be really wonderful with some simple updates.
The floor of the "kitchenette" could use some new, non slip tile as well as the shower area. The shower and toilet share the same area but the sink is in the bedroom. The sink looks to be at least a decade old as does the toilet seat. The king size bed is nice but the mattress is hard and needs replaced. The sheets were threadbare and quite frankly, I would not even donate them to charity. The bed pillows were flat and needed to be replaced. There are big ceiling fans but we did not run them as they were coated with dust. The bath towels were also rough and worn and needed to be replaced. Some of the window blinds could also be replaced. The "living room" furniture was old but in acceptable condition. Both TVs were old and had poor picture quality. The one in the bedroom should just be tossed. Over all the suite was very clean.
The outside area is cluttered to say the least. I realize that space is at a premium but there are tools,etc everywhere and looks like a garage sale. All of the pool furniture is old and non matching, but with the beach steps away there is really no reason to use that area. We enjoyed our stay but until some upgrades and updates are made I don't think we will return to this hotel. I would like to repeat though that this location is on the less crowded part of beach which we appreciated as we needed a quiet, relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: The upstairs 2 room suite was large and private with view of the ocean
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank liz0329

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel 8/15/14-8/17/14 and our rooms 206/208 were infested with BED BUGS!!

Unfortunately we did not notice until Sunday morning 8/17 when my friend woke up itching and had a bed bug on his back. We then pulled back the comforter and found blood streaks on the sheets along with 3 more adult bed bugs. We smashed one in a Kleenex to give to Patty the manager for proof. Later that day we found a bed bug in a book and air mattress which were items in room 206. Needless to say, after researching the issue i have found that the rooms had to have been REALLY bad for the bugs to be so prevelant and in the places we found them....oh yes including my pajama pants !! We spent 4 hours at the laundromat washing everything on HOT water and HIGH heat so that we wouldn't bring them into our homes.

The hotel was good and refunded the cost of the 2 nights, however we had several items which had to be thrown away (aprox $250). My biggest concern remaining is that I am a cancer patient and had 2 wigs (valued at $500) with me....both of these were in room 208 which I am terrified have been exposed to the bed bugs. I spoke to Katie the owner today who instead of showing any care, concern, ownership of the issue or even giving an apology.... made it seem that it was my fault my things were exposed because I should have noticed the issue and told them the first night!!! You have to love that kind of attitude!

My bigger concern for all future travelers is that you NOT be exposed and go through what we had to experience. The hotel has had the room treated with bug sprays by an exterminator. If you read on line it says the only sure fire treatment method is with heat.... Yes this can cost about 1-2k which is probably why they only chose to spray the room. Also.......we specifically told them the bugs were found in room 206 as well.....but they chose to only treat room 208!!

Beware!!

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in 206/208 they are BED BUG infested!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Pugluvr65
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

For the first time in a long time, I actually made the reservation before I read the reviews. Perhaps that's why, for the most part, I was pleasantly surprised. This is most definitely an old school beach hotel. The solid panelling is dark, but beautiful. The rooms are small, but the beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are clean. The shower has wonderful water pressure, which is a definite plus at the beach. Patty, the manager is very friendly and helpful.
In all, it was a great base camp for a spur of the moment summer weekend at the beach.

Room Tip: First floor rooms have no view of the ocean, but full access to the 2nd floor deck.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank NCMAja
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

After reading some of the other reviews before arriving at Mermaid Manor, I was a little apprehensive about what lay in store for us during our weekend stay. I was relieved, however, when I arrived and Patty, the manager, was very friendly and accommodating. I even brought one more person than I had originally told her and she brought out a little cot for us to have for the extra person. She is not racist as some others have said as one of the members of my party was Black and another Hispanic and we had no issues, she was just as friendly to them as anyone else. Parking is right across the street in a private lot so I'm not sure what everyone else's issue was with it. They will let you pull up right next to the building to load and unload even. Everything was clean including the porches and pool. There is convenient beach access and they have some toys and boogie boards for guests to borrow. My only gripe preventing a 5 star review is that the toilet in our suite was tiny. It seems like it was a toilet meant for a small child. I'm not a big guy, only 5'8" and 165 lbs and I had a hard time sitting on it to conduct my business. Other than that insignificant nuance, the Mermaid Manor is a cozy and convenient place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Brian J
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My family (husband, wife, 3 children) stayed in the upstairs suite. It had a beautiful king sized bed in one room with cable TV. The "main" room was a living room with a couch (folded out into double bed). It also had cable TV as well as a comfortable wicker chair and other furnishings true to vintage beach deco. The kitchenette is off to the side of living space in an open area style. It is not large but comfortable for what we needed. It has a full-size fridge/freezer. No oven but the two burner cook top was perfect and they also offer charcoal and gas grills to use free of charge and they supply the gas or charcoal. The bathroom is accessible as a pass-through style, connecting the bedroom to the living area. I also liked the separate key access to the bedroom as well as living area in the event you wanted to leave without disturbing anyone in the living room. Other than the updated bathroom floor, all other floors were hardwood plank, original to the home I believe. The walls and ceiling are beautifully vintage crafted wood style, true to time period as most beach homes were designed and is a wonderful insulation...the window units in the two rooms kept it so cool we had to turn them off several times!
The pool was perfect for our family and the view from the upstairs balcony to the beach was breathtaking. We could see the beach from our window. The balcony with rocking chairs is a "community" style which others staying can use. It is also a place fir anyone who smokes to use, as smoking is not allowed inside. Although we do not smoke,we had no problem with this (it's outdoor, so we never smelled smoke) and enjoyed meeting new people.
I saw complaints about the parking but you have to remember you are staying in a facility that's oceanfront. Of course you must cross the street to park. Another complaint I read was regarding the "old and dingy" interior. We did not see any moldy or broken items, nor did we find musty smells. If you are looking for somewhere that is brand new, this is not where you want to be. If you love antique, vintage, rustic, cozy, stepping back in time kinds of rentals, you will love it as much as we did! Although it is pet friendly we found no evidence of previous pets anywhere. The only drawback of our stay was the weak wifi signal, but free wifi is often weak.
we will most definitely use Mermaid Manor again!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Minor99
Siler City, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Lady who's in charge of the Motel at first was nice but then problematic. She doesn't let any visitors come visit you, she's a stalker (Very intimidating), Gives you all kinds of problems, racist, two face, etc.... I personally don't recommend people to stay there not even for a mimute. The building probably was made in the 1800s. The kitchen is Very Tiny about 3ft long. Not so clean. Awful. I rather stay in the car sleeping than staying in this Motel.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank krodas1117
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I've been here twice and have two more weekends booked. I can afford much more pricy accommodations, but I choose this place. Not a lot of bells and whistles, no room service, no restaurant...but management is friendly, I can bring my dog, its clean/ quiet, convenient, and I love that I dont have to deal with the issues that come with staying at a large chain hotel. Highly recommended! Pat and Dan are awesome.

• Stayed June 2014