“A tale of two trips”
Review of Mermaid Manor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carolina Beach
Mermaid Manor
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed 5 August 2010

First, I've read the other reviews and each had a kernel of truth (except for the one that gave it 5 out of 5 --- what planet are you living on?). There was both good and bad. Here are some of the good points I've captured from my stay:

1. Right on the beach -- Very good location!
2. Neighbors were fairly quiet
3. Dog friendly
4. The on-sight managers were very friendly
5. Not only located on the beach, but had a pool and a balcony overlooking both the pool and the beach
6. Close to the local boardwalk and carnival

But, there were also bad points about the manor. Here are the not-so-pleasant parts of our stay:

1. Room was dirty, smelly, moldy and all of the other ee's that you can think of.
2. Landlord stated that it had a small two burner stove (turned out to be a hot-plate).
3. One sink did not work and the shower was short with hot/cold tendencies
4. On the website, it said it had free WIFI. Well, it was one DSL wireless router in the manager's office. The connection was spotty at best and I think the internet pipe was very small (say around 768kps).
5. Parking was off-site.
6. Air-conditioners were old window units (very noisy)
7. Had cockroaches and wasps in our unit (dead ones now)!
8. Battery was missing from the smoke detector
9. EVERYONE staying there chained smoked! -- I hate smoke!
10. The lodging was pet friendly but, the beach was not.
11. The furniture was very old and had obvious ware.

I'm sorry, I place a high value on cleanliness and value. I will accept a lower cleanliness for a great value, but as it stands, I paid quite a bit to stay at this place. I expected more. I guess that is what you get when you travel with pets. Next time I will board our dog.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank PelicanJoe

Reviewed 13 June 2010

The owners were so nice, everyone was nice the people who were doing work there and even down to the guy who cleaned the pool every morning! It was so relaxing,loved that porch! Everything was walking distance,great restaurant across the street! I can't wait to go back again! My dog even loved it!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2010

The location is great,, ,,only steps to the beach and maybe a block to the boardwalk, the owners were very nice people and seemed to really be concerned that we have a nice stay......
This is a pet friendly hotel which is why we booked here and that turned out nice as well,,,
We just had a single room , but it was very clean and the bathroom was clean as well,,,the room was not very big,,but we expected that,,, so no problem there,,we did look at some of the larger rooms while we were there and they too were very nice and clean.
so if your looking for a nice get away at a excellent location you cant go wrong with this place,,,we will defintely be back!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Our kids loved the oceanfront beach and pool. We loved having 2 rooms in our suite.Having the kitchen and grills was not only convienant ,but saved us money as well.Being so close to the boardwalk was a real plus without the noise . Very quiet and clean. Inn keepers couldn't have been any more helpful or nicer.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Today is Wednesday, suppose to stay until Sunday. I am looking for another place to stay NOW. I took pics of the "Molded" windows, NASTY refrigerator, floors, shower, sink, Entire place. Went to CVS, printed pictures, & went straight to the Chamber of Commerce. I also contacted the Environmental Health Dept. I suggest anyone with the same issues, please write to the Chamber of Commerce @ Carolina Beach. It needs to be closed down, & Bulldozed or burned down completely.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
13  Thank pookat
Reviewed 29 March 2010

I agree with all those who submitted negative reviews about hotel.
It was very nasty upon our arrival. The pictures on the Internet and
the owners description over the phone were all misleading. We could
hardly breathe while viewing the room; the bathroom had dirt in
shower, toilet nasty and the sink. The kitchen wa nasty and filthy!
The owner was not at all considerate of customer satisfaction and
doing what was right ethically! She did not provide a refund, which we
did not even stay at the hotel at ALL. It seems that this hotel is running
a scam to collect money from travelers. I will file a complaint to the
appropriate agency and will push on this issue until ALL hotels like this
one get their hotels in proper, inspectable order and clean immaculately
to ensure that the living conditions are 100% for a living being to be safe,
in a clean and healthy environment. The owner should be ashamed of
herself and know that God sees all the wrong we do and she shall reap
what she soes from God. You have treated and done so much wrong to
good people and God's people.

8  Thank SPBG738
Reviewed 20 March 2010

We Loved the Mermaid Manor. I understand it is under new management and I don't know how it was before our stay,but we will be back. They were working on the place while we were there and it is old,but my wife and I travel a good bit and this is on our we'll return list. Great location,very charming and very nice people.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple