First, I've read the other reviews and each had a kernel of truth (except for the one that gave it 5 out of 5 --- what planet are you living on?). There was both good and bad. Here are some of the good points I've captured from my stay:
1. Right on the beach -- Very good location!
2. Neighbors were fairly quiet
3. Dog friendly
4. The on-sight managers were very friendly
5. Not only located on the beach, but had a pool and a balcony overlooking both the pool and the beach
6. Close to the local boardwalk and carnival
But, there were also bad points about the manor. Here are the not-so-pleasant parts of our stay:
1. Room was dirty, smelly, moldy and all of the other ee's that you can think of.
2. Landlord stated that it had a small two burner stove (turned out to be a hot-plate).
3. One sink did not work and the shower was short with hot/cold tendencies
4. On the website, it said it had free WIFI. Well, it was one DSL wireless router in the manager's office. The connection was spotty at best and I think the internet pipe was very small (say around 768kps).
5. Parking was off-site.
6. Air-conditioners were old window units (very noisy)
7. Had cockroaches and wasps in our unit (dead ones now)!
8. Battery was missing from the smoke detector
9. EVERYONE staying there chained smoked! -- I hate smoke!
10. The lodging was pet friendly but, the beach was not.
11. The furniture was very old and had obvious ware.
I'm sorry, I place a high value on cleanliness and value. I will accept a lower cleanliness for a great value, but as it stands, I paid quite a bit to stay at this place. I expected more. I guess that is what you get when you travel with pets. Next time I will board our dog.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ocean front, pet-friendly motel. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Mermaid Manor Hotel Carolina Beach
- Mermaid Manor Carolina Beach