“Hotel just okay but right on the beach”

Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Alexandria, Virginia
“Hotel just okay but right on the beach”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

Pluses: All units are ocean front. Fairly soundproof--could not hear above or next to me. Free Internet .

Cons: The room had dust and the sliding glass door and windows were filthy when I went into the room. Had to get them to clean the window--why wouldn't I see the ocean when I'm in an oceanfront room? Indoor pool and hot tub appeared dirty. Saw no one clean the outdoor pool while I was there. They have events here such as conference and weddings so the parking lot fills up.

I expected more for a Marriott.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Devon11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

Eighth floor ... all rooms are ocean front ... the higher the better view. Very courteous and helpful staff. Tyler gives excellent dining recomendations and Steve is a superb bartender/starbucks server. Jogging on the beach is wonderful, check the sunrise & moonrise times ... excellent! Good surf fishing, view of dolphins frollicing in the waves, etc. To be honest, there is not high class quisine on the island ... but what is here is fun. If you want the best ... drive 25 minutes north and there are a host of offerings ... top notch. We were here NOV 2011 for Veterans Day weekend and there were two weddings at the hotel. Given the maxed out occupancy, management should have arranged to have plussed up the staff at the starbucks facility. They were overwhelmed in spite of each of these people being excellent. I fault the hotel management for that lack of foresight ... but I still am very positive in my accolades for this hotel. It is an excellent location ... rooms are all in good order ... and, typical of Marriott Courtyard & Residence Inn class locations ... a good deal for the money. I want to emphasize the top quality of the personnel that a typical guest will encounter ... that is where you will gain a lasting imprerssion of your stay. Here they are all what one would want ... I just hope management learns to listen to jumior staff observations. Take that advice in strong account. You'll go from very good to top-notch in short order.

Room Tip: stay away from elevator doors ... the "beep" is too loud and can be heard plainly in nearb...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Al R
Cary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

I stayed in a beach front room which was dirty! Had stained carpets, dirt and dead bugs all over the room. If you want to stay here check your room on arrival before committing to it.

Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank LZmd
Beachy005, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns in regards to your recent stay with us. I am very concerned about the items that you mentioned as cleanliness is our top priority. Additionally, our rooms are professionally exterminated on a regular basis in order to stop any kind of pest issues before they arise. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further regarding this matter as I want to make sure that all potential issues of this nature are corrected going forward. Thank you again and I hope we can speak soon!

Will Lear
Assistant General Manager
(910) 458-2030
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

My best friend was getting married in Carolina Beach. And if you don't know a lot about this area - there really are not many hotels to stay at, and a lot of the nicer ones are quite pricey - especially in the summer. Most people rent houses. Besides the price, I cannot complain about this hotel. The plus for this hotel is: right on the beach, the suite is a large room, walking distance to restaurants and bars, and overall a very clean hotel. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank HL24
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

I can't rate the hotel on its rooms, cleanliness, restaurant, or even the view since they claimed they didn't have my reservation. Even though I'm a platinum Marriott Rewards member, the desk clerk couldn't get me a room, or suggest another hotel, or call a cab, or even apologize. Instead, I went to the Holiday Inn in Wilmington, where I have no status, but the desk clerk there clearly understands the concept of service (read my review for more info).

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank LayniMSN
Beachy005, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give your comments regarding your recent visit to Carolina Beach. I would like to take a moment to appologize for the service that you experienced while trying to check in. Your event is certainly not a standard occurance as we take customer service very seriously. I wanted to also let you know that we received the letter that you sent to the hotel and our Director of Sales has sent you a response in return. If you have not already received this, please be on the lookout for it. Again, I'm very sorry for the inconvienience that you experienced and hope that you will visit us again in the future.
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

OK ... I'm not sure what a Courtyard is doing here on Carolina Beach, but it's nice. It's right on the beach and I enjoyed my stay.

The staff here is great. I'm a Plantinum Premier with Marriott and truthfully, this hotel treated me better than most full service Marriotts. That was impressive.

The rooms are nice and and pretty large. Every room has a view of ocean and a balcony. There is a large pool and a restaurant with a pretty good breakfast. You won't find the amenities of a Marriott resort (like towels, poolside bar, etc), but the hotel and rooms are pretty close.

The bed is good and the air conditioning works well. The hotel and the rooms were clean.

I would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure if you're in the Carolina Beach area (and depending on where your business is in Wilmington, it might be a good evening escape for a Wilmington business trip).

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

What an awesome experience. I stayed here mainly for business reasons, but was able to sneak in some personal pleasure as well. As a Marriott Gold Member, my husband and I were upgraded to a corner oceanfront 2 bedroom suite. The two rooms were huge and well appointed with furniture and amenities like a refrigerator, coffeemaker and microwave. The free Wi-Fi was fast. The desk was a large workable surface with plenty of light. The TVs were large flat screens in both the living and sleeping area. The bedroom was separated from the living area by a divided bathroom. The sink area had a door to the bedroom and then the shower and toilet area had another door. This allowed for my husband to sleep in because he could not hear me getting ready in the morning. There was a closet in the living area, as well as in the bedroom which also allowed for less noise in the morning. The lobby was newly renovated -- very modern & chic. Free coffee is offered from 6-10 AM, as well as a variety of free newspapers. It was fantastic to have a Starbucks in the hotel as well. The beach is very close and really nice-- the views were fantastic. The hotel is right next to the Boardwalk (which was a disappointment because everything was closed during the week after Labor Day). There are several great restaurants within walking distance (Deck House & Havana were our favorites). Parking is free and convenient. My only complaints were that the entrance is hard to find – it is a little street next to a yellow house (there are no street signs) and the beach towels are very small.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business