“Awesome!!!!!”

Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
“Awesome!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012 via mobile

We went to Caroilna Beach for our second wedding. We talked to a number of hotels in the area and visited prior to making arrangements. The Marriott by far was the most impressive, they helped setting up the arrangements, make sure everything went well that day. The hotel staff was unbelievable, if I had to complain about one thing it would be it had to end. We were treated with the utmost respect and dignity, and treated like royalty. I cannot thank the staff and hotel manager enough they turned what should of been a great day into a fabulous one.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

Let me start off by giving you some background, my wife and I are well-traveled. We vacationed multiple times a year and were very flexible before July 2011. In July we were blessed with twin girls. In short, its been exciting and challenging at the same time. We didn't think about traveling until they could feed themselves.
We were very apprehensive about traveling. We compromised with driving instead of flying and realized we needed a lot more hotel room than we usually were happy with.
I called the GM for the hotel a month prior to our visit. Jessika Medina was immediately responsive. She understood our situation and urged us to travel at night. She gave us the option of booking our suite one night before our arrival to ensure it would be ready when we got there at 7 AM. That was a good idea because the hotel sold out the night before. We would have waited until at least 1 PM had we not booked the room a day early. It was worth the extra money to have the room ready. Oh did I mention Marriott has a program called Tots Travel Too which offers pack and iplay cribs, outlet covers and other baby friendly amenities? Its free too!
The hotel was clean, the staff knew who we were. The buffet was amazing and the chef came by each morning to gauge our happiness with the food options.

The beach is accessible, clean and very family friendly. The pool was also perfect during the busy times at the beach. There is also an indoor pool for rainy days.

Michael and Will at the front desk were very helpful and helped us avert disaster a couple times.

Ann, Selene and Michelle at the Bistro made our lunches/breakfasts enjoyable with a personal touch.

The housekeeping staff said hi to us and checked on us each time we passed them in the hall.

In short, it was an awesome stay. Marriott really outdid themselves with this hotel. Everything was perfect and we definitely will make this an annual visit.

PS. Don't forget to try the waffles, they are worth the 6.5 drive.

Room Tip: South side of the building is quieter than the northside. Carnival is open with loud music on north...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Wake Forest, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Unfortunately, options in Carolina Beach are limited, so we chose to stay here at the Marriott. Having just stayed at the Blockade Runner in Wrightsville beach 2 weeks ago, I was expecting much more for the money. As other reviewers have stated, it is an average room, with average accommodations (one chair for 4 people!?), parties going on until 4:15 am. Our room was clean enough; surprised to find that not even continental breakfast is served, and coffee is only available from 5 am - 10 am. Overall, not worth it just to be ocean front.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MelanieD63
Dallas, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

Upon arrival it was clear that parking could easily become an issue. It's a fairly small (crammed) parking lot for the hotel size. But, as advertised, there was a pay parking lot close by. The pay lot wasn't paved or graveled for that matter, just dirt and grass.
I was greeted by a super friendly young lady at the front desk who promptly checked me in. They have a nice lobby area. Every staff member I encountered during my stay (5) was very friendly with the exception of a guy who appeared to be maintenance. He was too busy slamming doors.
The room was a typical two queen room with a comparably large restroom. Clean looking and well decorated, it was welcoming. Then came the balcony, wow. It was filthy. There were cigarette butts, lots of sand and crumbling concrete. So that was lousy.
That night, when I climbed in bed I climbed right back out. It was clear the sheets needed changing. The bed was full of sand, that is ridiculous. Now it's turning into a roach motel. The sheets were apparently not changed since the last guests were there.
The busyness around the hotel was cool until I tried to sleep. There is a noisy carnival next door and a loud bar/restaurant out front. Both kept going late into the night. Definitely not the hotel's fault, just be aware of the noise.
On the fourth floor, I certainly had to close the shades to sleep. They have a light pole next to the pool that shines right into the room. So much for letting the sunlight wake me.
Inside the hotel, they have those stupid annoying slamming doors. These are the ones that pull themselves closed. If you open it and just let go, it will slam shut. Inconsiderate guests next door kept my heart rate up. I just think hotels should do something so the doors can't slam shut.

For the price this place was bad. For a third of the price, it would be below average.
The dirt in the bed and extreme filth of the balcony was very surprising. This is a Marriott?

Room Tip: Rooms on the southern end may be quieter, the carnival runs right next to the northern side late int...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank gudguy
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012 via mobile

The reviews were mixed, but I had a great stay.

My room wads clean and comfortable, and I had an amazing view overlooking the ocean.

I had a car, so mobility wasn't an issue.

The front desk staff was very nice, and very helpful in terms of finding local places.

I was down there for a wedding, so I'm not sure if I'll be back, but I'd stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Love the location but I would think a Marriott hotel would care about its reputation. Even the cleaning is poor. Came in after rooms were cleaned and beds were made as if my 10 year old made them. Toilet and showers were not even touched. All it looked like was they took dirty towels and put clean ones with fresh toiletries and threw the sheets on bed. Hotel just feels unclean. Room has kitchenette but no plates or silverware. Sofa bed very uncomfortable. For the price we pay per night we should get a 5 star hotel not a 2 star motel. Marriott you need to see what is wrong with your hotel. Just because you maybe sold out often give your customers the experience of a nice Marriott hotel. Especially for the price you are charging us.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank DaliaEl
Morehead City, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012 via mobile

We booked this with Marriott points and truly, it was a 'wait and see' based on the reviews. Believe me, it was well worth it!! The views from our 4th floor balcony were great, and we especially enjoyed the fireworks on Thursday nite. The room, despite previous reviews, was spacious and clean. You are at the beach, so you will have sand in places... We thought the bathrooms were clean and we had plenty of towels for the four adults.
The pool is clean and not crowded. The staff was super friendly and always had a smile! if you want to spend the money, you can rent an umbrella and chairs for the beach. The area surrounding the facility has plenty of places to eat - we loved Old Salty's, Hurricane Alley and Bowman's Seafood for takeout. You have to go to Gulfstream Diner ( locals and cash only ) for breakfast/lunch.
If the Marriott had a tiki bar with drinks and snacks, it would be perfect!!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family