“Excellent Family Vacation Experience - Wish I was still there”

Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We spent a week in June at the Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach for our family vacation. We loved it!!!! We were on the 9th floor and our room was extremely nice, very clean, and the beds were really comfortable. All of the rooms are oceanfront and the view from the balcony was amazing. We had excellent service from the housekeeping staff everyday and the entire hotel staff was always very friendly and helpful. Their breakfast buffet was magnificent. The saltwater pools were great and the hotel grounds are beautifully landscaped. This hotel is convenient to everything in Carolina Beach and we took it all in. We visited the Aquarium, rented jet skis, walked with the kids to the amusement park, walked to Britts for donuts, took the ferry to South Port, rented our beach umbrellas and chairs at the hotel, and watched magnificent fireworks from our balcony. It was absolutely one of the best and most relaxing vacations we have ever had. I have stayed at many ocean front beach properties over the years and this hotel is by far my favorite. My sincere thanks to the staff of this hotel for making our stay so memorable and enjoyable. We can't wait to book our reservations for another vacation stay...we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We asked to be on the boardwalk side of the hotel and our request was granted. We enjoyed seeing eve...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sharon J

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I've stayed at this hotel several times over the years, this time for the first time in the summer.

Pros-
-Right in front of beach
-EVERY room faces the ocean, beautiful sunrises, watch the waves from your balcony!
-The downstairs public areas are well-maintained. We saw plenty of dedicated, hard-working personnel keeping up with the inevitable messes that large beach crowds drag in. Kiddos to them! (I wish the sleeping room housekeeping group was as adequately well-staffed and conscientious!)
-For a modest $20-25 fee, you can arrange to have 2 beach chairs and umbrella waiting for you on the beach. For us, this was money well-spent (even though we had our own in the car)!
-Walking distance to easily a dozen different kinds of restaurants, amusements, etc. We weren't there at a peak time so we had no problem parking. If you come at a crowded time, parking could be a real pain as the lot is too small. But, at least when you eventually get to park, realize that you can walk to most places you need to go.
-Mini-fridges in every room- made it easy to bring breakfast and sandwich stuff with us.
-We arrived early in the day, prepared to spend all afternoon on the beach, so we were able to use the advice on this site to ask for a room on the opposite side of the boardwalk- high up but not too high. They were able to accomodate us and called our cell when the room was ready. We had no problems with noise whatsoever (and I'm very picky about this).
-Afternoons, the sun moves behind the hotel and the pool is in the shade. I know sunbathers would list this a con, but for us (we didn't care), it meant the crowds thin out at the pool in the afternoon and you can swim and relax in relative peace.
-Free wifi throughout the property

Cons-
-Room housekeeping- I've never seen or experienced such lackluster room cleaning at any Marriott property and I'm a meeting planner so I travel all the time. My advice- bring your own extra towels, an extra roll of tp, and a trashbag and plan to have all the toiletries you need. That way, if your room isn't serviced/poorly serviced, you're prepared and can just go about enjoying your vacation and not relying on the hotel. How sad is it that at a Marriott property, charging what they charge, that I'm actually giving this advice?
-NOT an actual criticism of the hotel- but prospective guests might want to know- the actual beach itself is SMALL. The distance at low tide from the dunes to the water is small compared to other NC beaches. The hotel is very close to several public parking lots/public beach access. The beach is small to begin with and you're also in a high traffic area. For us, renting the beach chairs meant we had a spot on the beach and so it was no problem. But be aware of this.
-The hotel is NO SMOKING but guests do smoke on their balcony. If I could have figured out which room, I would have said something to mgmt. I'm not sure what they would do. But it's incredibly annoying to choose a no smoking property and be sitting on your balcony not smelling the fresh ocean breeze but instead some a##hat who can't go somewhere else to smoke.
-local surfing lessons are offered right in front of hotel. Could be a pro or con for you. If you're really wanting to swim in the ocean, these crowds of classes fill up the space in front of the hotel. If you don't care about that, it's fun to just sit and watch people attempt to surf.

The most important thing I can say is, after you book your room, just forget that you're coming to a Marriott property. The high levels of service, attention to detail and predictability loyal Marriott visitors might expect, will probably fall short at this particular property. Just remember you are staying right on the beach and that should help to counter balance this.

Room Tip: 8th floor, opposite side of boardwalk, away from elevators/ice machine was perfectly quiet and no pr...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rohugh
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Front desk was very nice.
Good location.
Room needed some updating. Stain on lamp shade. Wallpaper peeling.
One day we got 3 conditioners and no shampoo. Another day no shampoo and two more conditioners.
There is no lotion given.
Bath tub was not cleaned for two days. Black sand stayed in tub.
Bed lights not plugged in. Empty water bottle behind the end table.
Filthy under bed.
Hand towels given at pool. And always out of them. People waited in line for towels.
Very, very noisy if staying across from cleaning supply rooms. They start banging the doors early every few minutes-in and out. And we heard all the latest weekend gossip as the cleaning ladies talked in the hall in the morning.
This Courtyard needs to take a refresher course from Marriott.

Room Tip: Not near cleaning supply rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This was our first time to Carolina Beach and while others warned me that I would most likely prefer Wrightsville Beach I had points so we went for a visit over the Memorial Day weekend. At first I had a reservation for 3 nights but ended up changing it to just one night.
Upon check-in I asked for a room on the quiet side of things and realized as we were placed we were only 3 rooms away from the "Boardwalk" side of the property. I heard music coming from the Boardwalk until around 1am, at least that was when I finally fell asleep.
There was a wedding party in the hotel so maybe they placed me away from that group but it was NOT the quiet side of the building as far as the "Boardwalk" goes.
The property overall was in good shape. Nice lobby with a sundae bar when we checked in. The restaurant/cafe was nice- the food wasn't bad. We had the breakfast buffet and I agree it is priced a little high, thankfully my kids are under 4 so they were free.
We got there on Friday and noticed the beach was roped off- come to find out they were setting off fireworks there later that evening. Would have been nice for the hotel staff to let us know upon check-in.
Our room- the room upon first look seemed nice and clean. However on closer inspection the floors were not vacuumed and were filthy! One end the carpet was bubbling up and wasn't flat. The fridge was dirty from the previous guest.
The bathrooms were in good shape and fairly clean- no complaints.
I'm a Marriott Silver Elite and in my profile I ask for extra towels and pillows- there were 3 towels TOTAL in our bathroom. There were 4 of us so we had to go downstairs to ask for extra.
My problem with the property on the beach is the chair rental company sets up and takes up the entire space in front of the hotel. We were only there for a day so it didn't make sense to rent chairs so we had to walk down a bit to get a spot because the ENTIRE space was taken up by the chairs. Perhaps if we were there a bit longer and would have rented chairs I wouldn't have minded but I was a little annoyed at having to drag all the kids stuff even further and nobody was sitting in any of the chairs down there. It looks like they just set up every morning and even the chairs that aren't reserved are left out and taking up space..
I also wasn't a fan of Carolina Beach. Britts donuts is the only redeeming quality of the beach. The boardwalk is so NOT a boardwalk! All of the food shops are so overpriced considering how rundown the area is. But thats a post for another time!

Room Tip: Away from the Boardwalk side!
2  Thank Ry42013
Reviewed 26 May 2013

This courtyard is right on the beach in Carolina Beach. The hotel is showing some wear, carpets stained and wallpaper peeling but overall is a nice place. The outdoor pool area is nice and you just walk down the boardwalk to the beach.

Room Tip: All rooms face the beach so no worries!
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Could not have had a better stay. The hotel staff was the best, always had a smile or greeting from anyone we encountered, if not an inquiry as to how our stay was going. The front desk staff was the best, lots of info on local eateries, etc. The rooms were clean and well kept. Read several complaints about stained carpets and such, but this is a beachfront property, and a family hotel....all part of the deal. You will pay a higher price for this property, but the location is perfect, and you are staying at a full service hotel. View from the rooms is great!

Room Tip: Elevators are quite busy, the only suggestion to offer would be requesting a room near the end of th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Best hotel in the area by far. We stayed for two days over a weekend and couldn't have been happier. The hotel has an excellent breakfast and café inside. There is an indoor and outdoor pool the children really appreciated. This hotel's board walk to the beach actually connects to the Carolina Beach board walk and provides convenient access to near by restaurants and beach bars. The hotel maintains a service inside for umbrellas and chairs as well as surf lessons (highly recommended fun). Our room was exceptionally clean and quiet. Thanks again so very much to the staff, you guys were all so very accommodating!! We look forward to our next stay!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carolina Beach
The Savannah Inn
The Savannah Inn
#3 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville ...
#2 of 9 in Wrightsville Beach
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
#13 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach? Share your experiences!