“The Oceanfront location makes it Worth the Price in the Summer!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach

Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Raleigh, North Carolina
“The Oceanfront location makes it Worth the Price in the Summer!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

My family has been coming to this hotel for years, and it's because of it's proximity to the beach, that we keep coming back in the spring, summer (although it's hard to swallow that peak-season price!) and fall! But DON'T BE FOOLED: THE BEST ROOMS IN THE HOUSE ARE THE STANDARD KING ROOMS, BECAUSE THE BED FACES THE OCEAN! I've been to much more luxurious hotels and beaches, but none of them have had the views that these king rooms (don't get the whirlpool--it's configured differently) do! EVEN WITH KIDS, get the king room (if you have one or two kids) or get a king (for yourselves!) and an adjoining 2 Queen room for the kids, if you can swing it!

Room Tip: Suites have NO view in the bedroom area. If you don't need as much space, get the STANDARD KING...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank ameliaowens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
North Carlolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Courtyard for the third time in late July. When we arrived the desk staff were very courteous and got us checked quickly. I had requested a high floor when reserving and they had us on the 10th (top) floor which suited me fine for the ocean and beach view...but I wasn't sure if that would suit my wife and sure enough she wasn't too exited about being on the 10th floor and going on the patio. I turned around and told the clerk and in about one minute we had a room on the 6th floor which was the perfect compromise.
The room was very clean and neat..so we were set for a great vacation. On the next day we noticed the room was a little warm and called down to the desk. In a reasonable amount of time a very nice maintenance person showed up and diagnosed the AC. He said he was going to contact his supervisor and would be back. We thought we would be moving to another room which would have been okay but a bit of a hassle. In a few minutes the he came back with his supervisor and checked again. The supervisor said the unit wasn't working like it need to cool the room especially on a hot day and he was going to get us another unit and they left. In about 10 minutes they were back with a entire unit! They plugged it in and waited a few minutes and it never would "kick in" and blow enough cool air. He explained they had checked it out in the shop and it worked fine...but he was going to get us another one. So in about 10 minutes they bring another entire unit in and set it up and it worked great. This may seem like a long time to but it wasn't...plus there attitude and courtesy were great. For the rest of the week the room was nice and cool with no issues at all.
Another example of the Marriott's great customer service happened after we left. I had that feeling that I had forgotten something..it was the wall charger for my iphone and when I got home I called and they said they would check with housekeeping and if they found it they would mail it to me. To be honest I had to check again and it was seeming they didn't find it or couldn't locate it. At this point I emailed the General Manager and she said she replied she would personally check on it and give me a call. She did just that and ultimately the charger was found and mailed to me by Priority Mail.
I wish I could state the names of the 2 maintenance employees but I did not get them, however the General Manager's name is Jessika and they all made an impression on us and we feel like we were treated over and beyond during our stay.
Another comment I would make...I have read folks talking about there are not any good restaurants in Carolina Beach and some actually state they drove long distances to find a decent place to eat. Let me assure there are several great restaurants, too many to list, within easy walking distance and a ton more within a less than 5 minute car ride.
We can't wait until our next visit!

Room Tip: 3rd floor or higher and you will have a great view of the Atlantic Ocean
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank DutchFan
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed in a king size room. The furniture was arranged with the bed facing the window which we had never seen done before. This was a great idea because we had nice view of the ocean instead of the TV the entire time. We're not sure if all the rooms are this way but we will ask for the same room next time we go back. The hotel is next to a carnival which was loud at night but the location is great if you want a short walk for donuts in the morning. We went to the ocean for swimming but did not try the pools so cannot comment on those.

Room Tip: Ask for king room with bed facing ocean
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank DisneyTravel
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

My family came here for a vacation. As a whole, I would say that Carolina Beach offers a place to sit on the beach and that is all. There are very few attractive restaurants and activities within 10 miles of this hotel. There is an indoor and outdoor pool, which many children enjoy during their stay. The beach is crowded and there is no food or beverage service on the beach. The beach chairs are not included in your stay. They cost $25 a day. The staff is friendly, but at times pushing the boundaries. I found myself in several lengthy conversations when I really just wanted to get back to my room and relax or get to the beach (and I consider myself someone who loves meeting new people). The sheets barely fit our bed and were stretched out, so we had trouble keeping them on the mattress. The comforter had an odor that made it seem like it had not been washed in a while. We drove into Wrightsville Beach both nights for dinner, which I would highly suggest if you are looking for some nice places to eat a meal. All in all, I would not return for a vacation to this beach or to this hotel.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Sarah I
Richard G, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hello Sarah,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry that you were not pleased with the restaurant options that you were presented with. If you'd like a list of some very good restaurants in the area, I'd be glad to send that to you for your next stay. The beach chair rentals are not provided by the hotel, but I will share your comments with the vendor. In addition, I will surely forward your valuable feedback about the hotel to my staff and housekeeping department. Thanks again for staying with us.

Libertyville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I'll get to the point: All the staff was great. Access to the beach was awesome and 2 pools were good. Rooms are average but the view was great. Only complaint was the bistro. Had to wait 1 hour for lunch (only 2 person at the counter). The hotel is in a great location...close to other restaurants. We will go back if at Carolina Beach.

Stayed July 2014
Durham, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Carolina Beach in general is o.k., and there is nothing special about this property either. No trashcans when you drive up, which is interesting since I would guess that 99% of patrons drive to this property long distance. The reception area is nice enough. The front desk staff and housekeeping staff are nice and responsive. The food is fine enough, especially the breakfast buffet (in terms of price for the quality). Access to the beach is very quick. The pools are o.k only (cloudy, not well maintained, and the indoor pool area was hot, humid, and smelled like chlorine). My daughters complained that both pools were somewhat cloudy. The property was only minimally maintained (sand, trash, wear and tear) as were the rooms. Our bathroom tile had grime in the grout and water rust stains throughout. Our comforter was stained with a big brown stain and the carpet was in terrible condition. Mercifully, no bugs. Just had a dingy feel to it. Will not be returning to this property or Carolina Beach again. However, staff was great.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
3 Thank Fiend
Richard G, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Hello,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. Please accept our sincere apologies for the pool conditions and other wear and tear that you mentioned. Your feedback is valuable and I will be sure to forward your concerns with the proper departments. Also, thank you for the kind words about our staff as I will share your praise with them as well.
Please give us another chance in the future as I can assure you will have a better experience.

Freeport, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I am a regular Marriott guest and of all the Marriotts, any brand, that I have stayed at...this is the worst. My son-in-law booked 5 of us as a special surprise at this hotel in a 2 bedroom suite. In reality, it's a 1 bedroom with a pull out couch. My daughter, her husband , and my other daughter and I shared the bedroom, while my grandson had to sleep on the couch, which nobody wanted to make up for him.
The rug on the floor is stained and disgusting. We had to ask for enough towels, soap etc for 5 people as they had the room set for two.
My son in law had to get here after a day at work ,drive through thunderstorms and then he was told that he couldn't park his car here. He had to go find public parking blocks away and feed the meter.
At the present time I am handicapped and this is all very stressful for me. I asked for a rollaway and was told that there are only 6 for the entire hotel with 144 rooms and they were already being used. Having to share a bed with my daughter is extremely uncomfortable as I have to be able to have my leg cushioned and raised and this is now impossible.
Michael at the front desk was extremely flip and not at all helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank LOGOAWAY
Richard G, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Hello,

Thank you for visiting our hotel and sharing your experience. I apologize that the suite was not accommodating for your family. The inconvenience of additional parking is sometimes a challenge during our busy summer months also. Your feedback is valuable, though, and I will be sure to share it with my management team and staff. Hopefully, you will give us another chance in the future. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact me directly.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carolina Beach
Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Blockade Runner Beach Resort
#1 of 9 in Wrightsville Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,916 reviews

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach? Share your experiences!