“Manager does nothing to resolve issues!”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Baltimore, Maryland
“Manager does nothing to resolve issues!”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We also had issues similar to the ones a previous reviewer mentioned - the day we were there, almost all of the food & juice were gone by 9:00 - we were told by an employee that they didn't expect so many people & that they had fired the girl that usually does the breakfast.Numerous people approached them about the lack of food but nothing was done about it. We had reserved 5 rooms for 2 nights - over $1000.00 - yet there was no food for us and only one of our rooms was cleaned, nor did we receive any clean linens! Because we had teenagers, the Do Not Disturb sign was on the doors until 11:00, but after that we were gone until 10:30pm - plenty of time to go back & clean the rooms. We were told by front desk staff that the cleaners are there until 4:00, so we were confused as to why the rooms weren't cleaned. When we approached the manager - he told us he was the General Manager - he denied everything that we said. He said that there was plenty of food for breakfast & that the Do Not Disturb signs were on the doors all day, which they weren't- I removed them all before we went to the beach. He basically said that we were liars! His earlier comment about resolving issues is a bunch of bull - he could care less! He is only concerned about the bad reviews that he has been receiving on here. On a positive note, the staff at the hotel, with the exception of the manager, were wonderful - so very nice! They tried their best, but with such a negative manager at the helm, their hands were tied. We wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: It is not on the beach as several of the photos seem to suggest - it is several blocks from the beac...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Beth H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 June 2012

During our visit to Carolina Beach last week, we chose to book this Microtel as we have stayed in 3 previously and found each one to be "top-drawer" for value, friendly staffs, and overall cleanliness and appearence. Sadly, this one did not measure up 100% to our previous experiences. The room was very clean and well-decorated, yet smaller than other Microtels we have stayed with. The entire staff was helpful, cheery, and would gladly go out of their way to assist guests in any way possible. If you are a beach and sand lover, this motel is not for you as it is about 4 blocks to the beachfront on a very busy main road...the only road into Carolina Beach, in fact. However, it is convenient to great resturants and a short drive to the sand and sea, but the sound of the surf is far, far away. For a coastal property, one would think that the pool area would be top notch...not true!! I found the pool small for a motel this size and way, way short on lounge chairs. Sadly, all of the pool chairs, lounges, umbrellas, and tables had long since seen their better days--quite a while ago, in fact!! My afternoon poolside was not nearly as pleasent an experience as I had hoped for by any means!! Also, the rooms in this motel are on the small side and the bathroom desperately needed updating. (As in, how many years has it been since you entered a motel bathroom with a stand up sink, no counter top, and a medicine cabinet for a mirror?...if you are like me, it has to be 30 yrs at least!!...and that is what you shall find here!!). The desktop small mini-fridge was a plus, but the small microwave was not to be found nor were the in-room iron and ironing board I was promised when I called the motel after booking through Hotels.com. A fair Complimentary Continental Breakfast was offered, but there was far, far too small an area to accomodate more than 20 (at tops!!) diners. I will give high praise to the staff for keeping the coffee going 24/7 and the creamers and sugar fresh at all hours, which is a nice touch after dinner out.
I would stay here again due to the cleanliness of the room and the "we aim to please" staff, but will also search for comparitive hotels at Carolina, Kure, and Wrightsville Beach. I was highly disappointed that this particular Microtel was, in no way, on par with the others I have stayed in and be forewarned...this chain consists of privately-owned, franchised motels...so, what you get in VA may not be what you get in FL. All in all, this was, basically, a pleasent experience as we only stayed two nights and spent alot of this time with friends in the area before heading out to visit a Wilmington buddy. However, I would like to see this franchise owner take note of the small touches he could make to his business to improve it greatly for a relatively small amount of cash output...and he also owes his staff a kind pat on the back for making guests feel so comfortable!! If you wish to avoid the old, 1960's style beachfront "tourist courts" and the 2 or 3 very, very overpriced large resorts, this IS the motel to choose!! Enjoy Carolina, Kure, and Wrightsville Beaches...this is, indeed, a Pleasure-filled area!!

Room Tip: We stayed near the one elevator and specifically called and asked for a first floor room. Also, we...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ACH1956
Metamora
Reviewed 21 June 2012

The Carolina Beach Microtel Inn and Suites was a great value for us. The hotel and rooms are cheery and very clean. The pool is very well maintained and a great place to kick back and relax. The breakfast is quite limited. The staff, especially Holly and Tracy are great. Our 4 nights was less than two on the beach of other high-priced hotels and is within a few blocks of the boardwalk and other local attractions.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank GAC194565
Smith Mountain Lake
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Hey, everybody, this is not the Hilton!!! This is a reasonably priced family motel. I have stayed here three times in the past year and found it to be exactly what I was looking for....a clean, comfortable place to sleep, with a decent breakfast to grab on my way out in the morning. I have delt directly with the manager on two occasions and found him to be friendly, courteous and accommodating. If you do not have to be oceanfront, you can't do any better than the Microtel when staying at Carolina Beach.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ticocharlieSML
tipp city
Reviewed 9 June 2012

i booked thru expedia, and from the pictures i thought it was beaCH side. when i got to the hotel it was not beach side. i was dissapointed by that and my girls were very upset. i looked at the room, and it was soooo clean, and smelled wonderful, like clean sheets.nice location, just not beach front. if i had to grade this hotel on staff alone, i would stay in a tent on the beach as long as i had this staff to go along with the tent. unfortunately the vacation was for my daughters, so we did move to another hotel that offered nothing but a beach view, for twice the price. But the staff at Microtel understood, i just wish kids understood that we were there for the beach not the room. Microtel was great,nothing but great things to say about it

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank angie c
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Our stay here was not good. The room was not clean, there were black hairs in our sheets and we had to ask for new ones. The breakfast was stale English muffins. We booked online and the front office charged us over the rate we were quoted and when I asked for the rate on the confirmation the manager treated us as if we were children and complained that we got too much of a deal. Very unprofessional. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again for free. If you are considering staying here don't, it is totally worth it to spend a few more dollars somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Ladybug22222
microtel, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
I am really not sure what is going on lately. I have had several people write reviews on this site saying I was rude to them when I have never even met them. I always say hello or good morning, so perhaps I actually met them but this guest never spoke to me about any issues at all. I don't know anything about hair on sheets, our breakfast is cereal, muffins, bagels and we even have waffles and only occasionally english muffins, all of which are never stale. They never asked me about a rate, nor was I ever rude to them. And we never ever change a rate on someone. If they were quoted a rate, all they need to do is show us the confirmation and it is honored just like that.

It is just crazy how these people just make things up. Now, I am not saying that they didn't have issues, only that if they did no one told me about it. I am the only general manager here so I don't know who they spoke to but it was definitely not me. So if they read this response I encourage them to call me and I will gladly talk to them about their issues. If they did actually tell someone else here about these issues and were treated badly, then I need to know about that because with all these crazy reviews maybe one of my employees is passing himself or herself off as the manager and upsetting all these people. If that is the case then I assure everyone it will be resolved immediately! But, to everyone who reads this, please........if you have an issue find me, I will take care of it. As I said before, if it is something within my control I will do whatever I can to resolve the issue.

Travellers are raving about these Carolina Beach hotels

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Nice front desk staff who were more than happy to give us ideas on what to do in the area. Me and my husband went here for a weekend away and it was so relaxing. Checkin was fast and smooth with no problems. Complimentary breakfast was ok but if you prefer something else there is a restaurant right next door and others on street. Close to beach and activities. If you have a chance visit the Acquarium which is awesome. We also took the ferry to southport so we could visit the light houses and for a nice drive. So much to do and so little time!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
#14 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Drifters Reef Hotel
Drifters Reef Hotel
#11 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach? Share your experiences!