“Our cottage was "bugged"”
Review of Sea Ranch Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carolina Beach
Sea Ranch Motel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Just returned home from the Family Fish Cottage at the Sea Ranch Motel. Our first visit to the area. Pictures of the cottage online seemed nice and quaint when viewed. The house was probably very nice once upon a time, however, it needs major upkeep and an exterminator. Upon arrival the front porch was okay. Nice swing. The plastic table needs to be cleaned, thoroughly. Not a good first impression. Entering the house, it smelled clean, looked clean. The entire house seems to tilt to the right and front. All of the doors, including the front door, close automatically (slam!) because of this. They have placed door stops on each door so that you can prop them open. The living area is spacious, plenty of chairs to sit on if you have a few families residing in the cottage. Two of the bedrooms are small with not much space for your belongings. They try to accommodate by placing a few small dressers. The entire floor in the back of the house from the bathrooms slopes down so that on your way back to the bedroom you getting a "running start". The house slope is the reason that we were told by the front desk that the tub does not drain fast at all. After you shower, you are standing in water and if you are second in line, guaranteed above the ankle - not to mention if three or four are in line. The soap scum never drains so your tub is quite filthy unless it is scrubbed again. We thought the drain could use some "declogger" because as the week went by, the water level got worse (with more and more sand), but they insisted this was not the problem.
Okay, now the "bugs". Upon awakening the first morning, there was a huge palmetto bug (roach) on the kitchen floor, another in the living room by the table. The second night, as we were leaving to go out, I turned the front porch light on and when I opened the door, another of these "bugs" crawled hurriedly from the front to the cottage door, inside. We were able to dispose of it. We could see baby palmettos on the lattice work beneath the house. There were also several incidents of little black bugs crawling in the both bathrooms in the middle of the night that would scatter once the light was turned on. Our last morning, another huge palmetto was in one of the bedrooms -- okay, enough, not sure how we survived it, repacked and washed everything once we got home - one family did find some of the black bugs in her things upon arrival. We made sure to sweep the floor and empty the trash every night but did not seem to help. All food was closed up and we did everything we could to discourage our visitors but it did not seem to avoid encounters. Extermination is desperately needed here.
We will never return to this place, it was atrocious. The cottage could be nice if attention was paid to it. The stove only had one working burner, the toaster oven dials were worn out and unreadable, and the sink must leak because there is a bucket underneath.
A great deal of attention is needed here (and exterminate)- clearly neglected and not worth the rent.
I felt compelled to warn others to stay away until things improve - if possible. Very disappointed despite the great beach and nice pool - will return to Cape Hatteras next year, even with an eroded beach, back to our more reliable rental. Never said this before after vacationing but glad to be home now...

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank sunnyoneMaryland

Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

My friends and I have been going to the Sea Ranch for 3 years! It is the best in value and location! It might not be the newest but it is family owned and operated, they welcome you with open arms! They are there to help you and give you recommendations of where to eat and shop while at Carolina Beach.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank NancyMde
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Although the Sea Ranch Motel isn't a new kid on the block, the location gives it extra stars. We had a room on the second floor of the older building which was clean but without many frills. There was a nice little private balcony with two rocking chairs which was mere yards from the crashing waves...the reason we came to the beach after all! The sunrises were spectacular and I could sit out in my pj's. Nice. One of the best things that happened was an absolutely epic nap I was able to catch with the sound of the waves in the background! I'd go back to the sea ranch in a minute!

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor or up so that you can see over the dune.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rainann
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My family has been staying at The Sea Ranch for over 20 years. This past Mother's Day weekend I invited three close friends to join me there. We stayed in the Fish Family Cottage for a week and had a very good time. The three of them loved to take a book and sit by the ocean while I preferred to lounge by the pool. Everyone did their own thing and then we went out for dinner each evening. Great food, great fun @ great friends!! They all said they were glad they went and can't wait until next years trip. See you all soon!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank SanFranFan82
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My husband and I used our tripadvisor and it totally paid off. We had not been on a vacation in 6 years, nor had we EVER been to Carolina Beach. Not only are the rates reasonable for the area and time, but the hotel is great. After reading my tripadvisor, there were no surprises. The hotel is older, but clean. We got a room on the 3rd floor with a kitchen. It was nice. My parents are going to go with us this year when we go back. I recommend it!! We also took our 3 year old daughter and I was totally comfortable with her in this room. She had a great time, too.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor boast a view of the ocean. If you are on the first floor, all you se...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Amy M
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I stayed at this motel and the room i stayed in was ok but the bathroom was dirty with mold and soap scum in the shower the was cloths and towels were stained and dirty as if they could be used to clean with and there were flea's in my room i had to leave so to everyone who is planning trips for this summer my advice to you is to find a better place to stay.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I stayed in this Motel with my two sisters for our annual "sisters' get-a-way". It was a very nice "no frills" motel. We had a balcony facing the ocean with a great view! Very quiet & private with easy access to the beach. The staff was very friendly & accomodating. We choose not to have our room cleaned since we were only there for a long weekend & they never bothered us. I would definitely return. There was an outdoor pool or two (I wasn't sure if both pools belonged to this motel) but we never used them.

Room Tip: Definitely request a room facing the ocean!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
#12 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Moran Motel
Moran Motel
#4 of 6 in Kure Beach

Been to Sea Ranch Motel? Share your experiences!