“Disapointing”
Review of Sea Ranch Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carolina Beach
Sea Ranch Motel
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed 8 September 2007

We live in Raleigh and were looking for a quick getaway to the beach.
We had always stayed at Atlantic Towers, but they were booked, so we decided to try the Sea Ranch.

PROs:
1. Pools were clean and not too crowded. Hot tub was large, clean and not crowded.
2. All non-smoking rooms.
3. If you're looking for a cheap quick dive, this is the place.

CONS:
1. Pool closed at 9pm and didn't open up again until 9am. If you have to check out at 11am, there isn't much time to enjoy the pool.
2. Bathroom was filthy. Towels were stained and ripped.
3. Decor was old old old.
4. Not enough outlets. With their fridge and lamps, the only outlets free were in the bathroom. Bring surge protectors with you if you need CPAP machines and if you bring your laptops and charge cell phones. The power blipped several times while we were there. Wiring/
outlets looked old.
5. You had to plug in the mini fridge when you got there (and wait for it to get cold), and unplug it when you left.
6. They charge you 25 cents for each time you fill your ice bucket. Come on...
7. Lock on door was very very old, and flimsy. Had to slam door several times to make sure the door locked which I am sure the neighbors loved. Wound up carrying all valuables around with us since
there was no safe to lock them in.
8. Did not feel safe there. There are no private balconies, so if you get a room in front of some stairs, like we did, other people and especially kids are always running back and forth in front of your room to get over to their rooms. I felt like someone was going to bust through that flimsy lock at any moment. Couldn't leave drapes
open due to so many people passing back and forth. Felt like I was on
display in my 'vacation' getaway.
9. Maid walked IN without knocking and way before we checked out. Just turned the key and walked right in.
10. Since no smoking was allowed in the rooms, everyone was smoking outside on the porches in the rocking chairs. You could smell it at the outdoor pool area, the indoor pool. It was disgusting. I was trying to enjoy the pool and couldn't due to all the smoke.
11. There is no way to see the ocean from the 'ocean front' pool as they advertise. All you see is sand due and weeds.
12. Parking is horrid.

I will not go back. I just cannot believe this property is rated #2 in Carolina Beach. No way. Atlantic Towers, Marriott, Golden Sands are much nicer.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank heathercoolio

Reviewed 2 September 2007

Based on reviews here on Trip Advisor, we decided to try the Sea Ranch...and were very happy with the experience. No, it is not an upscale, high dollar motel with tons of amenities. What it is, though, is an affordable beach front motel close to everything and with enough amenities to make it a great value.

Since the purpose of a "beach trip" is to visit the beach, we did not spend lots of time in the motel....but the room was adequately sized and clean, the bathroom was a little small (particularly, as noted in several other reviews, the shower), but for the price, I don't think we could have had a better experience.

Also, the place has character....We have stayed in countless motels and can't remember anything about any of them....the Sea Ranch is different enough that we WILL remember it (with a smile). Great choice.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Toolman0701
Reviewed 11 August 2007

My family and I stayed there for the fourth of July. We had an oceanfront room with a kitchen. That was very nice and clean. The only thing that was bad was you had to climb 2 flights of stairs, but I needed the exercise. I really enjoyed the fact that they had 2 pools and we always went to the enclosed one. In all, I will stay at the Sea Ranch again. Nice place and cheap for the fourth. Oh, one thing they really need more parking places.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank beachgirl227
Reviewed 27 July 2007

We just wanted a place on the beach to take our two girls, ages 6 years and 10 months. Sea Ranch had two pools, which was a plus. We were told we were getting a poolside efficiency with two queens.
When we first arrived, we were thrilled. Both pools were nice and large, not too crowded, and both had a slide. The big pool had a huge hot tub beside it, very nice. All the rooms had "front porches" with rockers.
However, when we checked in , we found out that we had a queen and a pull-out sofa. That was a bit of a problem, as the pull-out blocked the whole room when out. We did have an efficiency, and it was poolside. The room itself was very old, dark, and a little smelly. Some updates had been done - bathroom, new sinks/paint, etc., but overall the room seemed to be in disrepair. The pull-out sofa was disgustingly old. We got the feeling that we were in the room that they rent LAST, (room 106) and the girl on the phone doing the reservation just didn't know it had a pull-out. Our kitchen was actually a seperate room, which was nice, and even included a booth-type table. The kitchen amenities were barely adequate. The shower (no tub) was the tiniest thing I have ever tried to bathe in. I am petite (5'2") and I could not wash my hair without bumping my elbows. Probably the worst thing in our room, besides the sofa, was that the floor was filthy. Our 10 month old crawled around, and within minutes her legs and hands were black. I cleaned the kitchen floor with Clorox wipes and my husband asked to have our room vaccuumed, which they did. Neither thing helped, I had to wash the black off her a few times a day. All our feet stayed black the whole time. The carpet didn't look old, but it was obviously very dirty. With a crawling baby, we also found things like popcorn kernels and grapes in the floor around the walls and edges of bed.
Again, I will say that based on what I saw, I think we had an unusual room, one they don't typically rent. The shape of it seemed different than all the others. We will probably not return, although overall the vacation was nice. I don't recommend our room, but rather the location and amenities, so luckily the weather was great and we used the pools a lot. The beach access was great too, and the front porch rockers were quaint. It was not a horrible place to stay, if you just need a place to crash after spending all day in the sun, then you just may love it.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2007

My fiance and I were looking for an affordable place to get away for a few days. I found the Sea Ranch on this website, and it seemed to get good enough reviews. The one thing we were having trouble with is finding a place that would rent to someone under 25. The Sea Ranch was the only one that I found that would accept those under 25--you only have to be 21 to rent! We were pleasantly surprised at the privacy that the Ranch gave us! The staff was very friendly. The housekeeping was great! The only gripe I have is that the shower was very small. Other than that, what a great stay! We will definitely be going back!

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank altanno
Reviewed 21 July 2007

This was our first trip to the Carolina Beach area. Sea Ranch was a good place to stay. It was close to the ocean. If you stay there, request at least a second floor room or you will have a view of sand dunes and nothing else. Place was quiet and very family orientated. Room was average. Nothing fancy or special, but definitely met our needs. Included coffee maker, pots, pans, disnes, silverware, toaster, etc. Very easy and convenient beach access. Awesome fireworks show on Thursday nights. If you're looking for fancy, this is not your place. If you're looking for affordability and a place to lay your little head, Sea Ranch is it. Room was clean. Bathroom was a little on the small side. Stand up shower only. We would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank mickeylove65
Reviewed 25 June 2007

We have been going to this motel since our son was a baby. We go back every year, and for the past 4 years we have had the same great room!! No, it's not a luxury motel, but really, how much time will you actually spend in the room itself?! I look forward every year to going back to the Sea Ranch Motel for it's peace and quiet atmosphere and the nice staff they have there. It's well worth the money!! Thanks Sea Ranch!!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family