“Quiet and Dog Friendly”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Quiet and Dog Friendly”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We enjoyed walking our dog along the river as she did not like the big waves of the ocean! When we went on a weekday afternoon it was quiet, not crowded and clean. There were a few people fishing but we were able to walk, see some little crabs, and enjoy the breeze. There is no "beach" though and there is no swimming allowed.

3 Thank Jessica Y

Boone, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Safe, Friendly, Comfortable, and Serene”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I spent two days and two nights in the campground at Carolina Beach State Park, and didn't even begging to scratch the surface of everything the park has to offer. The park is neat and well kept, and the staff are friendly and readily available. During the park's open hours, the staff is always out taking care of trash and recycling, cleaning the camp sites, and taking care of preventive maintenance. The atmosphere in the campground is fun, laid back, and respectful, with everyone interacting and sitting around their campfires, but going to bed fairly early. The gate being locked from 10pm-8am (summer months) has both advantages and disadvantages - it's good that no one can come in unauthorized at night, but it also means you can't chicken out during the Storm of the Century and go get a hotel after 10pm... Or, you may not have time to fully experience the evening activities going on at the boardwalk at Carolina Beach, or have a late supper at a nice restaurant, and to catch a sunrise on the waterway, you have to have spent the night in the campground. However, if you plan to disconnect, and do your own cooking, it's perfect. The bathhouses are immaculate and modern, with plenty of hot water (as long as you don't go right before supper time!) I traveled by myself, and always felt safe. There are miles of trails, educational opportunities with rangers, and many other activities I did not have time to explore, but I feel that one could stay in the park for at least a week and never have to leave, provided you have enough food. It's a great place to go to completely disconnect from the modern world, for sure.

6 Thank Nadene98
Missouri
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Aquarium and park are a must visit”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The role the park played in the Civil War was very interesting. The aquarium was also very nice and interesting. We had a great time on the beach and exploring the entire area.

Visited April 2014
Oak Island, NC
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Great place to walk the pups”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The park located on the Cape Fear River has numerous trails, a marina for your boat, places for your camper and primitive camp sites too. Rest rooms are available and there is adequate parking for visitors and boat trailers. Lots of nice trails and it is fun to explore the woods with a pup or two in tow. You will see many families, bikers and runner throughout the park and it is a great place to spend a couple of hours walking the trails.

Visited May 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“***BEWARE OF PACKS OF THEIVES AT CAROLINA BEACH***”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I took the family down to Carolina Beach Yesterday for the fist time. It was amazing and beautiful until we were robbed then the whole trip quickly turned into an emotional disaster. It wasn't until I slept on it that it all made perfect sense what had happened and how. I started remembering the faces of the groups of the same people I kept noticing everywhere we went that were standing or sitting strangely close to us in their two dollar shoes, dirty pants and shirts and smoking their cheap cigarette just watching us. It all makes sense to me now. Given, they only stole a cell phone - right under our noses without us noticing, but my I feel my understanding of the matter now should be made available for every respectable, honest citizen who steps foot on Carolina beach, because the place is packed with packs of dirtbag thieves sitting in packs of two or three watching your every move, following you from place to place, even standing on the beach waiting for you to slip up by leaving a a bag unattended, etc.

Outside of the shop where we bought some flip flops, shorts and sunglasses I noticed a group - an overweight burly red haired man, and overweight dirty haired woman and another younger person sitting smoking their cigarettes watching into the store, positioned where they could see who paid the clerk with cash is my presumption. After leaving the store we walked down toward the beach and stood for a minute at the sidewalk. Next thing I noticed was the same pack of rats sitting an a bench a few feet way watching us. They had followed us.

Once on the beach, I noticed an older, thin Hispanic looking fellow with shoulder length grayish black hair and a Charles Bronson Mustache standing smoking cigarette after cigarette with a scraggly looking woman. They had walked up with nothing more than a dirty blanket they threw on the beach, even though they never once sat on it. They were both wearing long pants and t shirts and I I noticed the man had two dollar white sneakers with two straps on them and no laces. I noticed he was watching us with an eagle eye every time I looked back. Just standing there smoking one after another. After showering off at the public shower there we started walking down the boardwalk and went into another shop. When I looked out the same two were, sitting on a bench outside watching us in the store. It hadn't been 10 minutes since we left the beach. Waiting for us to make a mistake I presume. We were there for a few hours and I noticed this pair were positioned at no less than three other locations smoking their cigarettes just watching people.

Another group I noticed that followed us on at least one occasion were two younger guys with long brown 80's rocker, surfer hair doos. They were probably 25 years of age, fully dressed in long jeans, tennis shoes and tee shirts. One wore a head band around his long hair. I noticed them when we walked down the isle between the shops sitting on a bench. They seemed out of place fully clothed. When we got to the boardwalk area by the restroom 3 minutes later I turned and looked around at the sites and noticed they had repositioned onto another bench within 20 feet of us, just sitting there hanging out. They no doubt followed us down through the shops area.

We walked back up to a shop that sells the crabs with painted shells and has an outdoor table where you can t shirts 2 for a dollar and key chains with names on them. My spouse browsed through these shirts for about 10 minutes and had set her phone down next to here water bottle. We walked in to pay and came back out. She grabbed her water bottle, but her phone had been stolen all within less than 2 minute time. One of the rat packs had scored a new phone for the day.

The rest of the night was a disaster.

I noticed there were no video cameras on poles or in shops and I never saw any police officers trolling the area. This paired with the free shower for the rat packs to take advantage of makes for a nice set up for homeless rat packs waiting to rob tourists blind.

My warning: BEWARE OF PACKS OF FULLY CLOTHED, DIRTY PACKS OF THIEVING RATS AT CAROLINA BEACH THAT POSITION THEMSELVES IN SITE OF THE CASH REGISTER AND ON THE BEACH WITH NO INTENTION OF HAVING FUN IN SUN! YOU WILL NOTICE THEM FOLLOWING YOU FROM PLACE TO PLACE THROUGH THE COURSE OF THE DAY WATCHING YOU AND WAITING FOR YOU TO SCREW UP.

15 Thank Gary B