“We had mixed feelings...and will likely not return”

Michael's Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We had been frozen at home by the polar vortex and so, with weekend temps forecasted in the 70s, we decided to get out town. To Carolina Beach we drove and, upon the recommendation of our hotel reservations clerk/bellman/concierge (there are no specialists in the off- season) we had dinner at Michael's. The atmosphere is typical of restaurants at the NC coast. It was clean, the staff was friendly and the smell of good seafood greeted us as we entered. They have a very nice selection of beer (domestic, imported and craft) and an extensive cocktail selection. It was Friday night, which is $10 entree night. There were about 10 entrees offered on the $10 list. When asked if these were standard portion entrees, our server indicated these were just a bit smaller than the regular portion. Well, in reality the flounder and grits we ordered was 80% grits, 15% veggies in cream sauce and 5% fish (blackened). It was disappointing - even for $10. The blackened seasoning was lost and overpowered by the cream sauce, and really the meal was only saved because my "other half" loves grits. I ordered the prime rib with a side of peeled shrimp. This was not a $10 entree but still the cut of meat was thin (It was supposed to be a 10 ounce cut). I enjoyed the beef and the shrimp, but the garlic mashed potatoes and veggies on the side were just so-so. Overall, for the price we paid, it was pretty good. Our server was very nice and attentive. She took good care of us without being there too much. Oh, and make sure you try their chowder. It is a recipe of their own that is quite good and has won awards.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We ate at Michaels the last time we went to Carolina Beach and it was pretty good. It was only lunch the last time and I just had the Steamed Peel n Eat Shrimp. THIS time, last week, we went for dinner and it was truly one of the worst meals I've ever tired to eat. Either they just don't care or there's a new chef (cook) or it has changed ownership because we couldn't even eat it.
We both ordered the Lobster Bisque for an appetizer and it didn't look right from the time she sat it down on the table. When I tasted it I couldn't believe they were calling it Lobster Bisque. It was like dirty dishwater with little chunk in it. I immediately pushed it aside and looked up a my husband who was doing the same thing. THAT was just the appetizer. When the entrée came, it looked innocent enough...until we tasted it. I had the steamed and peeled shrimp which was actually ok but I don't recall ordering the mashed potatoes (with shrimp????) or the corn on the cob (a cobette actually). The corn was not hot and far from tasty, I took one bite and pushed it aside, butter wouldn't even melt on it! I ate the shrimp and that concluded my dinner. My husband ordered the Black Sea Bass. He took one bite and knew immediately that it had been frozen for quite some time. I tasted it and agreed. I don't recall what side dishes he had but our plates were almost still full when we were finished. We did tell the waitress that the soup was edible and she just took it away but didn't hesitate to charge us $4.50 per bowl. Needless to say we will NEVER darken their doorway again!!! I'm very surprised at the "glowing" reviews other people have given this restaurant because we know what good seafood is and this place doesn't have it!

2  Thank KittyO897
Reviewed 18 December 2013

A large group of us were visiting the area and wanted a place that had seafood but also a great mix of other food options and we decided on Michaels. We totally hit the jackpot with this place! The seafood was the absolute freshest I've ever had. The atmosphere and the service was grade A in every way. I live about 4.5 hours away, and I would absolutely consider making a weekend trip back to Carolina Beach just to eat at Michaels! You have to eat here if you want some of the best seafood and food in town!

Reviewed 17 December 2013

What an amazing time we had at this restaurant. We did have a large group, about 8 of us. So we wanted a restaurant that served seafood as well as Steak/pasta entrees. Michael's had a full menu. AS we were waiting for our meals, the manager and cute kids came around the restaurant with various appetizers to taste...for FREE!!! By the time the meal came, I was stuffed!
Personally had the 1/2 crab legs and 1 lb of shrimp. Of course, crabs and shrimp does not travel well, so I was able to finish the delicious meal! The waiter was very accommodating with giving us individual receipts, sometimes in large groups that can be such a hassle. On my next trip I want to try the Clam chowder, I heard it was award winning.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We had dinner at Michael's 4 nights in row. The Snow Crab and peel and eat shrimp combo meal was excellent. The mixed seafood boil was tender, tasty and fresh. The seafood chowder was very tasty and loaded with goodies. I am from Cape Cod and love seafood. Michael's is right up there with best of the best seafood restaurants I have ever been to. We loved the cornbread instead of the usual rolls and butter. It is a bit pricey, but, ohhhh so good. Of the 4 nights we ate there we had excellent service 3 of the nights. Go early it gets very busy after 6 pm.