“Two Night Stay at Carolina Beach....”
Review of Golden Sands

Golden Sands
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We liked the view overlooking the beach & ocean. We also liked the fact that they have a Tiki Bar and we could sit on the pier. Most places with pools smell of Chlorine, not Golden Sands, the aroma of cleanliness greets its guests. There wasn't a sheet for the pull-out couch. At the Tiki Bar, they only offered 6 alcohol drinks, which happened to be overpriced.

Room Tip: All the rooms are overlooking the ocean. A person has a choice between a smoking or non-smoking room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CarolClarkeReed
There are newer reviews for Golden Sands

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I recently stayed at Golden Sands as I do every year because it can't be beat. Rooms have new decor + bed's & mattresses & my back didn't hurt next morning which is amazing. Staff always the best. Right on the beach & I'm a balcony sitter. View & access to beach is wonderful. I can't say enough nice thing's about Golden Sand's. The best of the best.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Anng27025
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed for a week and we loved it. Our only complaint is the pull out couch in our room was pretty gross other then that we had a blast. Housekeeping took really good care of our room everyday. We have been coming here for the past five or six years and we always have good experiences. Looking forward to our next trip soon.

Room Tip: Great for kids
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank April P
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed here for the second time this week. The staff was polite the room was clean. The view from the fourth floor was very good but we could see the roof of the pool if you look down from the balcony. We arrived before check-in around 12:00 and did not want to pay to park at public beach access so asked the staff in the office if we could park in the lot until check-in. We were surprised when the clerk stated our room was ready and we could check-in if we wanted. The room had two queen beds a sofa and a fridge which were clean. The bed and sofa were comfortable. The room was a little small which we knew as we had stayed hear before. This place is a great value close to anything you could want or need the Tiki bar and Ocean Grill are next to the hotel and we liked both. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: I think the south building view would be better. We could see the pool roof from the balcony no big...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank George M
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I typically rent a condo down the street from Golden Sands but due to major renovations (through May) my condo stay would have been noisy, dusty and unpleasant. The condo front desk hostess recommended Golden Sands or Courtyard Marriott. I'd stayed at the Marriott and decided to give Golden Sands a try because of the many favorable recommendations. Excellent decision! The front desk host/hostesses, manager and housekeeping were very welcoming and accommodating. Traveling solo, I was booked into a king bedroom, North Tower, 7th floor. There were a couple bus loads of high school students coming in during my stay and were booked on the 5th floor. Being aware of my need for relaxation the front desk recommended a 7th floor end room. I enjoyed an excellent north view of the city, from the hallway window, as well as amazing oceanfront seascapes from my balcony. My four night stay was very comfortable with furnishings and amenities very close to those provided by the Marriott. Actually, the in room refrigerator was larger and colder than the typical hotel refrigerator. This was a pleasant surprise! I'm headed back in June and have already made reservations for the same room. Oh, may I mention that the week was unusually cold, rainy and windy but it didn't matter. I had so much to be thankful for and a wonderful, comfortable room in which to ponder my blessings.

Room Tip: North Tower is newer and well maintained. Easy access to pool and beach area.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Lori K
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed here this past weekend Feb 14-16th. The hotel looked like it had been updated, we had a large room with a great view. We were here for a soccer tournament and asked for late check out on Sunday. While I understand that they don't usually do that especially since it is probably crowded during the summer, we were denied and the hotel was half full at the most. I counted 17 cars in the lot at 0730 in the morning on Sunday. The gal behind the desk asked what room we were in and turned to look at the computer screen and said a large crowd was coming in , on a Sunday mind you , and taking the entire floor we were on. Needless to say we didn't believe that story as she just looked at the screen didn't actually do anything but that screen said the entire 5 th floor was booked .That message must have been scrolling across the screen! This soccer tournament happens every year at the same time and we will be coming back next year but we will definitely stay elsewhere next time. Driving home to Norfolk dirty from playing soccer was not really comfortable. Check in isn't until 3 so I do believe had they extended us that courtesy that 1 room could have been done in time. The entire team had asked where we stayed and we spoke favorably of the hotel until this. So they probably lost a lot of potential guests.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luvsummer82
goldensandsmotel, General Manager at Golden Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for staying with us we are sorry that you did not believe that we had a group coming
in as we did for the whole week .Our computers has symbols on each room that shows a reservation coming in so all we have to do is glaze at it and it was not hard to know we had that whole building block with a group coming .We try our best to accommidate everyone the best we can as we do when a soccer group comes in.Our check in time is 2:00pm not 3:00 as it has always been we are sorry you thought that.We hope you come back to see us as every customer is important to us.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed at Golden Sands for my birthday last summer. The pro is that it is right on the beach. Hotel is clean considering the sand that probably comes in and out. The indoor pool is loud and small. (Not sure why it is indoor in North Carolina when it is on the beach.) The room was clean, but very minimal. The carpet was like indoor/outdoor carpeting. One con is that we had a problem parking two cars in their small lot. We had to move the car around from a lot across the street and pay a fee for the extra car even though there weren't enough spaces. So the convenience of being right on the beach makes this a value, but I still felt it was expensive for what we got.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank trumps4travel
goldensandsmotel, General Manager at Golden Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

We really appreciate your business and we are really sorry if you did not realize we also had a outdoor pool.We provide the indoor pool for cooler days and a lot of people just do not like being in the sun at the outdoor pool.We hope you come back to see us as we have just got through updating all our rooms with new carpet, mattresses,paint and the north building all new furniture.We have also replaced all TV's to flat screen again thank you for your business.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carolina Beach
#14 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Blockade Runner Beach Resort
#1 of 9 in Wrightsville Beach

Been to Golden Sands? Share your experiences!