Golden Sands
US$144
Hotels.com
US$192
Courtyard
Drifters Reef Hotel(Carolina Beach)
US$163
Surfside Lodge(Carolina Beach)
US$175
US$171
  • Pool
Oceaneer Motel(Carolina Beach)(Great Value!)
US$191
Moran Motel(Kure Beach)(Great Value!)
  • Pool
SeaWitch Motel(Carolina Beach)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsindoor pooltiki bar and restaurantnorth towerroom was cleanattached restaurantolder buildingnew buildingplace to staykure beach piersmall balconybeachfront hoteltwo queen bedsocean viewget awaywonderful hotelfridge and microwavecoffee maker
Reviewed 11 June 2010

Rooms and grounds were clean. Needed to replace the towels as they were discoloured. But overall decent.

1  Thank bekadawn1
Reviewed 9 May 2010

Considering all the hotels in the Carolina Beach area it's one of the better ones. It's an ok place to stay. The property was very clean both inside and outside with a very pleasant front desk staff. There's a onsite restuarant and bar with decent prices. If you're just wanting to get away to a very quiet beach this is definately the one.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Cruiser4Lyfe
Reviewed 19 April 2010

We LOVE the Golden Sands. We stay there at least 3 times a year, and have done so for the last 6 years. We started staying there when they had only one building, now there are two. We prefer the new building; the rooms are bigger and the bathrooms are nicer, but the rooms in the old building are good as well, just a little smaller and less modern. All the rooms are oceanfront and the rates are very reasonable. Our son loves the indoor and outdoor pools, and the Ocean Grill and Tiki Bar that are on-site are wonderful. It's great to lay on the beach, then walk up to the Tiki Bar in your swimsuit to get a yummy lunch and a drink; the bartenders and locals at the Tiki Bar are always friendly and a lot of fun. Then the Ocean Grill is great for dinner. The staff of Golden Sands are always very friendly and accommodating. We have stayed at the Courtyard when the Golden Sands was full, and it wasn't nearly as nice of a place to stay, and was way more expensive! Golden Sands is an independent hotel so you won't get the corporate perks you get from staying at a chain, but it's a great place that we always look forward to visiting.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank idratherbeonvacay
Reviewed 5 April 2010

My husband & I stayed here last summer and enjoyed our visit, so I returned alone (4/2-4/4 2010) just to listen to waves, eat some good seafood, and catch up on some reading. The room we had in July '09 was in what must have been the "newer" building because the one they put me in this time needed some updating. It was a smoking room, so it really, really reeked (somewhat expected) but it had many other issues. There was a nasty ring in the toliet, visible sand in the carpet, and the bathroom countertop had cigarette burns all over. The coffee maker's hot plate was completely rusted (com'on people--you can get these for less than 10 bucks at Wally) and the carafe leaked from the ring each time I poured. So, each morning I made a "coffee mess" just trying to get a cup-o-joe. Housekeeping promptly made it to my room when I stepped out and made the bed & freshened towels, but left the coffee mess, the ring in the toliet and the sand in the floor. When I got chilly, I pulled out a blanket from the bottom drawer and was appalled to see at least 15 cigarette burns in it and it was at least 20 years old--apparent from the balled up consistency of the fabric and the separating piping. The bed was so horribly hard that I woke up every hour, all night long. The pillows were actually comfy, but didn't make up for the "dirty" overall feel. It is nice to have a microwave and fridge in the room, and the view was awesome. The balcony was very narrow and I had to put pillows (ah, those comfy pillows) under me to see over the railing and either sit sideways or with my feet up in the chair to avoid the storm door tracking. The staff (lobby) were okay when I checked in, but my visiting stepdaughter said they seemed bothered when she inquired how to get to my room. It's nice to have such great beach access and the tiki bar and pier are nice to have on sight, so, overall, I would recommend a "newer" room and a better rate, or another hotel all together.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank RVer1
Reviewed 15 March 2010

My husband and I have visited Golden Sands many times over the past 10 years. We have never had a problem with the rooms or the staff. It is wonderfully convenient to have the restaurant and tiki bar on site! Which, by the way, has great food and entertainment! Thank you, Golden Sands. We will be back soon!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family