All reviews ocean front within walking distance manager brenda second home beach hotel a great place to stay girls weekend clean rooms enjoyed my stay amusement park family vacation boardwalk stove rates porch carnival fireworks
Reviewed 14 September 2015 via mobile

Here's what you need to know about Surfside Lodge-you get what you pay for. Being one of, if not THE cheapest, ocean front rental in Carolina Beach, you shouldn't expect much. The lodging is old and worn and not in a charming way. Our room was adequate, but actually reminded me of a bedroom in a college frat house. The people at the front desk and the housekeepers were all very friendly, and willing to help-but some of the clientele there seemed sketchy. Because the price is cheap, the staff are friendly, it is beach front and is within easy walking distance of restaurants and shops, I gave it an average and might possibly stay again...but wouldn't feel comfortable taking children.

The details:
There are three buildings, two of which are motels with room entrances from an outdoor walkway and one small two story building with indoor entrances to the rooms. All three buildings are old. We stayed on the second floor of the building with the interior entrances. Our building did not have an elevator and the first floor is only accessible by steps. I didn't see an elevator in the other two buildings either and they also seemed to be accessible only by steps. If you need a handicap friendly facility, you may want to double check as I am thinking this may not be the place for you.

Our room was one of the smallest rooms with a kitchenette (only cost $85/night on the weekend which includes tax). There was a small stove, a sink, a few cupboards and what appeared to be a quite new full size fridge. Also a small table and two dining room chairs squeezed into the room at the foot of the bed. The carpet looked pretty new in the bedroom and the paint looked newer (though there were scuffs on the walls from previous guests-part of the frat house feel).

As others have mentioned, the bathrooms are in need of TLC. We could tell there had been some (quickly and poorly done) patch work on bathroom floor. The bathroom was clean, but because the white tile is yellowed from age and because of the poor patchwork with grout splattered on the tiles, it made it look dirty. My wife wouldn't walk around barefoot in the bathroom. The shower did have great water pressure and both my wife and I had plenty of hot water whenever we showered, which was nice.

One concern I did have was the only way to lock the door was by the doorknob button. This may have been acceptable if the entrance to the building was locked at night, but it is not. Anyone can access the building and walk through the hallways at any hour. A deadbolt on the room door would have offered a greater sense of security, or at least a locking front and rear door to the building which guests could access only with a key.

Also, in our building, none of the rooms had balconies. There was only shared balconies on the beach side of the first and second floors accessible to anyone in the building. Because our room wasn't facing the ocean, it was nice to have access to this, but if I paid for an ocean front room, I might have expected a private balcony and has been upset. The other two buildings appeared to have balconies for the ocean front rooms. Be sure if you reserve an ocean front room it says private balcony.

Bottom line: If you are looking for a cheap get-away in an ocean front building and don't plan to spend much time in the room, this option will fit your needs. But if you are looking for a romantic stay, a child friendly facility, or need a room for more than sleeping and showering, this might not be the place for you.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeffs1126
Reviewed 13 September 2015 via mobile

Had the best time. Pool was still open and room was clean and comfortable. Older place at the beach but worked for us. Room had two queen beds a fridge, microwave, small apartment size stove and coffee maker. Beach access was right from the property. Will stay there again. Price was very affordable for weekend rates.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank CindyJ110
crown142, Owner at Surfside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2015

Thank you Cindy for writing a review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your next visit. Barry Eagle

Reviewed 18 August 2015

Besides being clean and in a great location (walking distance to dining and entertainment), the staff was very accommodating. Expedia overbooked their lodge, but the manager got us a nice room anyway.

Room Tip: Lesson learned for me was to call the hotel to confirm my room.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ronald T
crown142, Owner at Surfside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2015

So glad to read we were able to accommodate you. We appreciate your business and hope you will stay with us again in the near future. Barry Eagle

Reviewed 17 August 2015

I am currently staying at Surfside and I am impressed with the price of the room that is literally one minute from the beach. I am staying in an interior room and it is very small but its exactly what I wanted. Surprisingly, it had a full sized refrigerator and a stove! Clean is always my gauge for deciding whether to come back and I will definitely return. Staff was VERY accommodating and friendly. The night guard was making rounds to ensure safety of guests!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Delighted62

Thank you for the kind review. So glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Barry Eagle

Reviewed 14 August 2015

Our room was amazing. Had a full kitchen. Had lots of room to cook and wash dishes. Bathroom was great as well had enough room to do everything. Beds where nice. We slept great. The beach was a few steps away. The pool was nice and big and CLEAN. The room was very nice and CLEAN as well. My family had a great time. Cant wait to go back next year. If you are looking for a nice room for the family here is your place. We wont be going any where else. O and on thursday nights you can watch fireworks from your room. Hope you enjoy like we did.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Jason D
crown142, Owner at Surfside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2015

Thank you for the kind review. Glad to read you enjoyed your room and your stay. We look forward to your next stay and appreciate your business. Barry Eagle