“Not too Bad!!”

Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed 10 August 2009

My stepdad is pretty frugal; he booked this motel for a weekend get-away for my mom, my sister and me. I was really nervous after reading the reviews about staying here. It wasn't as bad as some people say. The rooms were ok. Not spectacular. The beds were uncomfortable. The bathroom was small but functional. The air conditioner was great. The pool was clean and really nice when we wanted a break from the beach. You can't beat the location. A couple steps to the beach and a block or so from the boardwalk. Everyone was really nice. It was pretty reasonable for the price considering the location! Over all I really enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Surfside Lodge Oceanfront

Reviewed 23 July 2009

I don't care what anyone says, I thought Surfside was just fine. Now I didn't say it was a five star hotel, but it wasn't a roach motel either. The experience was fun, the price was low and I could see and hear the beach from the balcony. Me and my boyfriend went on Valentines Day and it was so beautiful. I would go again!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 July 2009

Well our stay was not what we expected. the room smelled like mildew and it was not clean. we tried to get our money back, put they wouldn't give it back,they said no refunds!!!! So we stayed away from the room as much as possible and went fishing... also it suppose to be a family astomphere, well they were people banging on our door and window at 3 am in the morin drunk!!!! needless to say we will not stay here anymore...

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2009

This lodge is the worst place my family and I have ever stayed! The rooms are DISCUSTING!!!! The bathroom was very nasty. I did not let my kids walk around in the rooms without their shoes.The rooms are not worth the money. We will never stay there again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2009

I don't see why people are saying this is such a bad hotel. When my mother and I stayed here, the service was great. We arrived on a Tuesday morning and booked one night. I believe we had poolside room 11. We didn't have much of a view, but we were on a budget and couldn't afford the upper rooms. The pool was empty most of the time, except for two or three families. It was just a few steps to the beach, and that was good. Sure, there was no telephone but we had cell phones. The bathroom was small, but worked. There wasn't much water pressure in the showers, but it wasn't much better than what you would have gotten at another hotel. Surfside is within walking distance of the boardwalk shops and concerts. In all, i think this was a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2008

Me and my mom took my 5 year old son for one night, so we wanted somewhere cheap to stay, well we got it. We had planned on sleeping in the SUV and we wished we would have. We all only got 2 hours of sleep cause the bed was like sleeping on 2 by 4 boards and there was dust everywhere. No telephone or alarm clock. The small balcony door was held shut by a wooden stick. The pool had loud vulgar mouthed teenagers drinking and smoking something other than cigarettes. Not a place to have my son and I'm usually not very picky at all. I hate that we spent our money on this so we could have a shower and access to the beach and pool.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2007

If you are sitting at home, contemplating a romantic, spontaneous trip to the beach, do NOT book a room here. Heck, if you are planning a quick, cheap trip with the boys, do NOT book a room. In fact, if you relate best to Pigpen of Charlie Brown lore, even YOU do NOT want to stay here. This was the most despicable motel I have ever seen (in my United States motel stays). It is overpriced for a smelly, unclean, un-inspiring "beachfront" motel. The "beachfront" view includes a parking lot and no private balcony. We actually left at 6am in the morning to get the heck out of there. In general, don't go to Carolina Beach. There are more beautiful, clean beaches. We will never return unless we are celebrating the closing of the Surfside Motel.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)