“Stop the train”

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Stop the train”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Do not go.
For weeks I had wanted to try out this intriguing restaurant built from two railway train cars. Today I had the opportunity to try it out with my daughter and husband. I had the fried chicken BLT, my daughter had the caesar salad, my husband had the benson burger. No one left happy. The fried chicken was tasteless. The caesar salad was drenched in salad dressing. The benson burger, well, my husband never turns down a good burger and half of his entree remained on the plate when we left. Was it the brunch menu? Is there lunch menu better? Maybe. All I know is that the service was spotty and we left very unhappy. Do not go.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Anchala

“A nice lunch”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stopped in for lunch before heading the airport. Cool looking place with the train cars.
Food and serve was good, not great. Asked our server some questions about the area and just got "I'm new here" and didnt try to find answers for us.

Seems like it would be a cool place for an evening cocktail as the outdoor dining area in front looked pretty cool.

• Visited September 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“Cool atmosphere with good food”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I really enjoyed my experience at the Southern Rail. We brought my family here to thank them for helping us move into our apartment and lathough we each got a sandwich, all six of us were very pleased with our food. The sandwiches are fantastic (especially the fried chicken sandwich) and fries were delicious. The atmosphere is nice and the building is really very cool. Parking was a bit of an issue but there are public parking lots throughout Carrboro that are free and easy to park in. I would definitley recommend the Southern Rail for a fairly inexpensive sit-down meal in Carrboro!

• Visited August 2013
Rockville, MD
“Cool place for simple food”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Ate at this combination of converted rail car and outside porch while visiting Carrboro, a very cool progressive town. Had the Steak Frites special--fries were nice and crisp, hanger steak juicy. Great selections of beer. Very accommodating service since we ate with two rambunctious kids. Would come back in a heartbeat. Simple food prepared well.

Visited August 2013
“Cool setup”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Good food and great drinks each time we have come for dinner. Service is a tad slow, but very friendly and it's nothing that would keep us from coming back again.

Visited July 2013