“Better then expected lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Southern Rail

Southern Rail
Ranked #43 of 74 Restaurants in Carrboro
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Pittsboro, North Carolina
“Better then expected lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

My girlfriend and I stopped in because it had a nice little patio area. We both had the Little Christy, which was a veggie sandwich with basil pesto that we added grilled chicken too! And when I say grilled chicken, it had the grill marks. Oh my, the flavor was awesome and they toasted the sourdough, the sweet tater fries were nice and crisp! Will be back again, service was great!

• Visited April 2014

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Disappointing.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

On a recent Saturday visit to the area, we chose Southern Rail to have lunch. We didn't realize they only offered brunch on Saturdays and since we had an an early breakfast, brunch was not what we wanted -- so I'll take the blame for not realizing it was a brunch menu. But....my son-in-law wanted a beer -- they were out of both that he ordered (and they were on the menu). To their credit, they served the beer on the house. From there, it was downhill. We asked our waitress if it was possible to order something more lunch-like. She checked with the kitchen and they sent word that they didn't have ingredients -- it was 12:45 and this menu concluded at 2:00. How could they not have ingredients??? I specifically asked if the spinach salad was entrée size -- at an $8 price tag. She said yes -- it was the size of a house salad. The rest ordered burgers and they all were disappointed -- to the point my daughter wondered if she would get sick later. Too bad -- the atmosphere is fun and attractive. Maybe they are more interested in being a bar instead of a restaurant. I doubt we will return. We spent way too much money for such poor quality food.

• Visited March 2014
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Vintage train cars and train station restaurant in downtown Carrboro.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

First warm day of Spring and came for lunch on their patio. Recommend their BBQ sandwich with tater tots. Lots of beer on tap to select from.

• Visited March 2014
Charlotte
“Interesting, but don't expect much.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Carrboro is a cool little town, and the Southern Rail initially appears to have great promise to fit in as a cool place to eat and drink, having the converted rail cars and all. The 4 of us had been eager to try it out, but we wished we'd had lower expectations. The service was very bland, a low interest in the diners, more interest in hanging with co-workers. The food was so-so, only one of us especially enjoyed their meal. We tried the black bean burger, an omelet, and huevos rancheros (the latter being the best). Also had a bloody mary - one of the worst ever had. Dashed hopes, but there are other good options in the area.

• Visited November 2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Stop the train”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Do not go.
For weeks I had wanted to try out this intriguing restaurant built from two railway train cars. Today I had the opportunity to try it out with my daughter and husband. I had the fried chicken BLT, my daughter had the caesar salad, my husband had the benson burger. No one left happy. The fried chicken was tasteless. The caesar salad was drenched in salad dressing. The benson burger, well, my husband never turns down a good burger and half of his entree remained on the plate when we left. Was it the brunch menu? Is there lunch menu better? Maybe. All I know is that the service was spotty and we left very unhappy. Do not go.

• Visited September 2013