“Unwelcoming; unappealing”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian
Montana-Florida
“Unwelcoming; unappealing”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Was YoHo's location something else in a previous incarnation? Clunky chairs that stuck to the terrazzo (?) floor, heavy wood trim elsewhere with a light Asian drape here and there. Strip mall bright. Our sushi order had an odd bent -- warm ground yellowtail (?) with crunchy something else - dried shrimp perhaps. Very fishy and not in a good way. All the sushi presentations for our party of 7 looked tired and dry. Our fried rice, $1 extra per serving, was not fried, but merely warmish steamed white rice with some dried out veg tossed in; terrible. Chicken in 2 preparations was of a mushy, steamed leftover texture, certainly not freshly seared; poor seasoning, too many sliced peppers in bland sauces. Miso soup was reported good, but the hot and sour was completely without flavor, unless you consider beef base an Asian flavor. Service was curt and ungracious; even with a nearly empty space, we were rushed and pushed from course to course. I don't want warm sushi and would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank MontyJack

Wendell, North Carolina
“Great place for sushi”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Only sushi place we could find that doesn't close between lunch and dinner. Stopped in after a trip to the ER so arrived around 3:30 and was seated right away. The food was very good. Nice variety of rolls and the ginger salad was good too. I'd stop in again when in the area. The buy one get one free all day every day also saved us some money!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank DLFriedel
lynchburg, va
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great!!!!”
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

The waiter was slow getting to our table considering he passed by it 5 times.... But it only took maybe 5-8 minutes to get our food ready. The Chicken LoMein was very tasty and filling. It's a nice big portion, good for dinner. If you haven't tried sushi, I suggest trying it here. Considering the preparation time, the food tasted great and fresh. Also the atmosphere is very calming and the seats are quite comfortable :) if you are in Cary and looking for a good meal, this is the place.

• Visited April 2013
United States
“3 of 4 stars (good, casual dining).”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

(see explanation of ratings below)

Very nice and creative makizushi. Other dishes are soaked in sauce.

Uncomfortable, bulky, wooden chairs.

Take a bottle of wine: corkage fee is just ten bucks.

About my ratings:

Only fine dining establishments can garner five stars. Until TripAdvisor realizes that a fast food joint cannot possibly be ranked equally with a $100 per person place, I need to draw the line somewhere. If we were only talking about the quality and presentation of the food, it would be a different story. But, as we know, TripAdvisor's rankings take into account the entire dining experience.

Therefore, I divide restaurants into three categories (and I wish TripAdvisor would do the same):

1) fast food and "fast-casual" (no table service )

2) casual and "polished casual" dining (table service)

3) fine dining (linen napkins, no plastic cups, no TV's in dining room, typically more expensive than casual dining)

Fine dining can earn a max of five stars. Casual dining can earn a max of four stars. Fast food can earn a max of three stars.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank HomoQuiScitOmnia
Apex, North Carolina
“Great food and variety”
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Went to YoHo last month for the first time and loved it. I can never get my wife and daughter to join me for Thai so this place was great since it had Thai, Japanese and Chinese on the menu. My green chili curry was very good - my wife had the hibachi chicken and my daughter had the Szechuan shimp and both loved their meals.

Was pleasantly surprised to find no wait on a Friday night.

• Visited February 2013

Been to YoHo Asian? Share your experiences!