“Wonderful stay over the holidays”

Residence Inn Raleigh Cary
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
“Wonderful stay over the holidays”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My husband and I were flooded out of our house over Christmas so we went to the Residence Inn while our condo was drying out. They allowed us to bring in a live tree so we got 4' tree to decorate. The two room suite was spacious and the full kitchen came in handy on Christmas morning when the hotel changed their plans on everyone and served a continental breakfast instead. Our only complaint is that we were only given one day's notice that the hotel would not be serving the full breakfast on Christmas Day. I was disappointed that there was not some sort of compensation in our room rate. Otherwise, this was a great experience and we plan to return.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 3rd floor to avoid noise from rooms above.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at this property. I figured I would try the property again as I didn't have a great experience the first time (summer 2013). Well, exact same issues (possibly worse) this time.

First, until I looked at the other reviews, I never even knew that they had a pass they could give me to the fitness complex across the street - they never mentioned it either time. Second, the service and food are as they were last time I was here. Let's discuss the service first. I arrived and not one person was behind the desk for several minutes. I called out three different times over the counter, but no response. Eventually a guy strolled from the food area. He didn't say sorry that he was away, etc. He was neither personable nor cordial. Never said thank you for being an Elite member or thank you for staying at their property. Totally no personality either...which didn't help. Note, this was the same level of service I received the last time I stayed....thinking that was a fluke.....evidently not.

Let's leave the poor service alone and move on to the food. I thought I would check out the food and see if it had gotten better since last time. You guessed it.....NOPE! It was BBQ night....your thinking great, I love BBQ....think again! So, there was a pan of mashed potatoes, actually they were not that bad, and a pan of BBQ chicken - which was nasty and had more gristle then meat. That was it....absolutely NOTHING else and nothing to drink. They had the breakfast orange juice/cranberry machine there with cups next to it, but of course there was not orange or cranberry juice available as the mixes were empty. I guess the water was good enough for anyone else that happened to show up.

Typically there is some soda, beer, wine, etc....but absolutely nothing out for anyone. At this point, I am thinking....why do they bother? If you have kids and are reading this, for both dinner and breakfast, you will find that you will need to go feed the family again somewhere else....stay elsewhere or find another Residence Inn.

One last thing. After taxes, the hotel will be over $200. Definitely not a bargain and NOT a good value.

So I will lump my one "okay" into my summary. First, the room is nice, I am not really looking for anything to be wrong with the room (maybe there will be an update if I do :-)). Second, I am appalled that this is a Marriott property. I travel for business weekly so I stay at Marriott's a LOT. I don't expect to have 5 Star resort service, but I do expect to be welcomed where I am staying.

This hotel is definitely on my DO NOT STAY AT list and if you are reading this, I would urge you to not stay at this property either....or you could and then say to yourself after you check in....why didn't I listen to the review? :-)

(EDIT) I stopped down to take a picture of the nice spread of drinks and food. As you can see by the picture, they put out some ice tea....WOW, they went all out. I tried to take a picture of the gristly chicken, but the lady jumped in front of my camera and told me that I couldn't take pictures. I just think they didn't want to have evidence of the chicken (that was meant to be a joke :-))

Happy Travels Everyone!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank C2StingRay
Usa, Japan
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here in summer. It's not the Ritz but then again you are not paying the high price.

Rooms are kept clean, beds decent and by in large property is quiet.

It is in a decent nice South Cary location with easy access to highways (64/I40)/Raleigh, downtown Cary. Plenty of restaurants within driving distance.

Treat yourself to a pass to Lifetime Fitness across the street. Two-level facility is world class with basketball, racquetball, climbing wall, indoor/outdoor pool and hundreds of cardio and exercise equipment

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 300nitesayear
Eagleville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights during a recent trip to NC. Everything was as advertised, and the location was perfect. Adjacent to a great walking trail, and plenty of restaurants, shopping nearby. Super clean and Breakfast buffet staff was great.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We choose 2 two room suites for a family get together at the Residence Inn because the RI is the only hotel in Cary that gives complimentary day passes to LifeTime Fitness for each room, each day of your stay. If you've never been to LifeTime, you'll see that it's a vacation in itself.Pools, slides, classes, rock-climbing wall, etc...
You have to ask for the passes at the front desk (check that this is still an agreement before you book!)
The hotel staff was fabulous. Rooms were great. Beautiful full kitchen. Great location. Great breakfasts. DVD players available at front desk for room usage (no charge).
Really, don't see how it could have been better.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Samantha M
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights during a house hunting trip. Central to everything in Cary, with easy access to all other areas. Staff was more than helpful with our many requests. Room was clean. Very minor (squeaky interior door) maintenance was handled immediately. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank gt8059a
Gettysburg
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Very difficult to find. Front desk staff was less than attentive. Room quality was not up to the typical Residence Inn standard. Very unimpressive. low quality furnishings used in the interior of hotel and hotel rooms. This hotel needs a make over. The complimentary access to the very upscale fitness club next door was a positive and helped to offset the negatives of the physical plant.

Room Tip: pick a different hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business