“Make Staying Here a Priority...”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Raleigh - Cary
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Ottawa, Canada
“Make Staying Here a Priority...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2010

We were in Raleigh to see the Montreal Canadiens play the Carolina Hurricanes at the RBC Center. I had done some research beforehand and had picked out an assortment of Hotels nearby that had good Reviews on TripAdvisor.

After picking up our tickets at the RBC Center, our next challenge was finding a hotel. Armed with a map and my list, we decided that perhaps the easiest to find would be the Holiday Inn on Dillard… and sure enough, we had no trouble finding the hotel.

We arrived at the Hotel without a Reservation, and I inquired about the possibility of getting a King Suite for the night. The nice lady at the front desk stated that there were rooms available… and that a Standard Room could be had for $ 99. I then proceeded to introduce myself and provide my Priority Club Membership, and the fact that I had done some online research with the Holiday Inn Website (thru ICHotels) and it had quoted a rate of $ 79 Senior Rate for a King Suite. It was explained to me that the internet rates and the walk-up rates usually differed, however as I was both a Priority Club and CAA Member that she would honour the $ 79 Senior Rate. Awesome!

Also as I was a Priority Club Member she gave us two complimentary drink tickets (House Wine or Beer) that could be used that evening in the Lounge.

We then proceeded to our nice King Suite on the 4th Floor… it featured two rooms, a front room which was set up as a Living Room with a sofa-bed, chair, tv, coffee table, work table, telephone and counter space that included a coffee maker, microwave, bar-fridge and sink. The second room, the Bedroom had a door that one could close for privacy, a king size bed, telephone and a tv. The adjoining Bathroom was clean and well appointed.

The whole suite offered wireless internet, and although the tvs were a little on the old side, they did receive a good assortment of channels.

After checking in, we relaxed in our room for awhile… and once the Lounge and Café Sage were open (according to the Hotel Guide) we decided to wander down to the Lobby area and check them out. It was fairly early when we arrived, and as the Lounge had just opened we were the only visitors… I understand though that it is a favourite spot for business travellers for cocktails after the work day.

But we did receive a friendly greeting and enjoyed a beer and a glass of wine. Sitting in the lounge area off the Lobby was quite comfortable… great seating and a big fireplace.

We also peeped in the door of the pool area that is right off the Lobby as well… we didn’t have time to use the facilities, but they looked great.

After finishing up our drinks we asked the Front Desk to call us a cab so we could get to the RBC Center… this was the only downfall of the whole trip to Raleigh (and it wasn’t the fault of the Hotel). But the cab driver took us the long way round most definitely to get to the Arena… it cost us $ 25 with tip (the return trip on the otherhand with a different company from the Arena to the Hotel cost us just $ 15 with tip). My recommendation therefore is to make sure you get a price estimate from the driver BEFORE you get in.

We had a great time at the Hockey Game (I have written a separate Review for the RBC Center).

And we returned to the Hotel around 10:30 PM. By this time the Lounge was closed, so we just went straight up to our room… but not before stopping at the FREE Refreshment counter in the Lobby. I enjoyed a complimentary coffee and a chocolate chip cookie before retiring for the night. My partner chose to check out the Vending Machine, and brought back a variety of drinks which we could consume on the road trip the next day (Gatorade – Snapple – Starbucks Frappuccino).

We slept comfortably… although I would say that the pillows were a tad stiff… would be nice if they offered an assortment of choices (soft – medium – firm). But overall we found everything to our liking, and a restful sleep.

The next morning upon waking, we found a copy of the local newspaper at our door (another Priority Club perk) along with a copy of our Invoice. Everything was as expected… so Check Out was a breeze.

Holiday Inn does not usually include complimentary Breakfast with their overnight accommodations, but from what we saw from passing thru the Lobby the Café had a lot of choices to choose from for those wanting to eat here. We did though want for hot beverages for the road (Tea & Coffee)… so we presented our two travel mugs for filling. That was quickly accomplished… and the Hotel person who did so even pointed out that they had taken care to put an extra tea bag into my large mug (just to ensure that the tea wasn’t too weak). When we inquired as to cost… we told it was FREE. Now I am not sure if this is the norm, or perhaps they were in the Christmas spirit (afterall it was December 24th) either way, we thanked them and tipped for the service.

All-in-all we had a wonderful stay at this Holiday Inn… and found the accommodations great and the staff marvellous (especially Delores who was on the Front Desk when we arrived and throughout the evening). I was very pleased with this Hotel, and how friendly and helpful everyone was. We had such a fabulous time visiting Raleigh because of the people we met, that we have decided that we will return again… chances are good that we will stay at this same hotel when we do.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wine-4-2
CaryHI, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Raleigh - Cary, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
Dear Wine-4-2,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a detailed review of your stay. I am thrilled that you enjoyed great customer service and comfortable accommodations at the Holiday Inn! During your next stay, contact the front desk to take advantage our complimentary pillow menu to find the one that's right for you - soft, firm, feather...all are available to ensure a great night's sleep! We look forward to seeing you again when you return to the Raleigh/Cary area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
long island ny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2009

Booked a suite online, arrived with 3 small children at 11pm after a 13hr car ride to find we were in a standard room with two full size beds? Went to the front desk where I was informed they could not change my reservation I had to call Holiday Inn direct. I gave up after 15 minutes on hold. I booked this hotel due to the website stating they have a breakfast buffet and kids eat free. Went down for breakfast and was informed they only have the breakfast buffet when the hotel is crowded and the "continental" breakfast which consisted of stale muffins was $6.95 a person. Woke up at 7 am to the cell phone ringing every 5 minutes in the room next door. Paper thin walls. I am not a fussy person but found myself very annoyed with this hotel.

Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank kikkib
va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2009

We spent Thanksgiving with family and the Holiday Inn was near the I-40 and two shopping centers. I went out for Black Friday shopping and was at the stores in five minutes. The room was clean and the front desk staff was friendly. The indoor pool was a hit with my children. Kids under 12 eat free in the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank 3kidsva
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn & Suites during your visit to Cary! We are glad that you enjoyed friendly service during your stay with us over the Thanksgiving holiday. We look forward to seeing you again!
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2009

I stayed here for one night in October, 2009. I had a King Room/junior suite; I entered from the hall into a living room set-up that had a sofa and chair with tv on a dresser/table. There was also a counter top with sink, microwave, and coffee maker. The bedroom was in the back and had a door so you could close it off from the rest of the room. I think this hotel was probably built in the late '90's and the decor has been re-done since then (in a red and black motif), but the bathrooms have not, nor have the televisions been updated. There were two in my room and both were the old 27". It would be a nice touch to come in and change out these to some flat screens.

The front desk staff was very welcoming, and the gentleman recognized me as I left for dinner and asked if everything was okay with my room. I found everything to be very clean.

If you are planning to sleep late, I might suggest an odd-numbered room. My room (216) was directly over the lobby and looked out onto the front portico and the airport shuttle or some other vehicle beeped its horn quite often that morning. I heard it as early as 6:30 am, but I needed to be up so it didn't bother me- it's just an observation.

There is quite a bit of "big box" shopping and a variety of restaurant choices very close to the hotel (half-mile or less). The hotel is also close to US 1/ 440 Belt line and I-40. The RDU airport is 10-15 minutes if you don't hit traffic.

The indoor pool is off of the lobby. I did not use the fitness room. I had breakfast as part of a business event and it was set up as a buffet, but I am not sure if that is the normal set-up or not.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank wkmoon
Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Cary! I'm so glad you were able to enjoy all the amenities of our suite rooms, along with friendly service and a convenient location to lots of shopping. We agree that flat-screen TVs will be a great addition to our newly-renovated rooms - some rooms already have upgraded TVs, but look for all rooms to have brand new flat-screens in 2011!
RoanokeVa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

room very satisfactory- bed comfortable- staff efficient
TV needs to be updated[suggest a plasma] , some channels very blurry
breakfast not included - but did get a voucher for comp. wine/beer
lots of stores, food choices nearby

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoanokeVaSherylL
St. Louis, MO, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2009

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites in Cary, NC twice this last week. I was met with superb service and a very nice hotel. The rooms were very nice. The breakfast was better than expected. This location is super as it is close to US1 and I-40.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Wingate, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2009

This hotel was found by accident, and turned out to be a real gem! The staff was wonderful, the rooms were spacious and clean! There is a nice bar and restaurant in the hotel, and it is surrounded by shopping and dining choices. Plus, the price was VERY reasonable. We will stay there again!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your great comments about the Holiday Inn & Suites Cary! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We are so glad that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cary
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Cary
BEST WESTERN PLUS Cary Inn - NC State
DoubleTree by Hilton Raleigh - Cary
SpringHill Suites Raleigh Cary
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Raleigh
Hampton Inn and Suites Raleigh/Cary-I-40 (PNC Arena)

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Raleigh - Cary? Share your experiences!