“5 Star without the pretense”

The Umstead Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Newbury, MA
“5 Star without the pretense”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

"Best in class" adequately describes this hotel from the reservations to the check-in, to the top notch customer service received throughout our stay. This was a perfect location for a girl's getaway weekend where we celebrated a surprise birthday for one of our friends. the hotel's restaurant, Heron's, helped us to host a surprise birthday brunch. Attentive service and the meals were tastefully prepared and presented. After brunch, 5 of us spent the afternoon at their heavenly spa, where they made every effort to accomodate appointments close together. A personal 'thumbs up' for the deluxe pedicure - amazing!

If you appreciate architectural design, the structure's stone façade and clean lines have a Frank Lloyd Wright feel. The interior has a relaxed feel about it, tastefully decorated with beautiful artwork and floral arrangements. Rooms are spacious and well appointed; our suite was comfortable enough to accomodate three adults without being overcrowded. The property is a naturalists haven, beautifully landscaped and nestled in a wooded area near the SAS campus, with a pond and walking trails. It is also conveniently close to RDU airport.

I've stayed at some of the best hotels in the country and this is definitely one of them. Kudos to the staff for a well run property.

1 Thank ciao07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
River Vale, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 April 2012 via mobile

This place is amazing. Everything was perfect, from the actual room, the jogging path, the restaurant to the politeness of the staff. It was simply fantastic. The most striking thing about this place is how helpful and polite the staff is. From check-in to the end of my stay The staff couldn't have been more helpful. A real pleasure, and I highly recommend it.

Stayed April 2012
Raleigh
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Beautiful and luxurious are the words that come to mind to describe my experience at The Umstead. The perfect place for a relaxing weekend getaway or, if business requires a visit to the RTP area, to unwind and relax after a busy day. The setting is so peaceful and natural, it almost feels like a country retreat.

Room Tip: spring for a lakeview room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank DDBRaleigh
New York City
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Conveniently close to the airport, nestled in the woods of Cary, NC just outside of Raleigh is the oasis known as the Umstead Spa. This hotel is the suburban, southern equivalent of the Peninsula and the Mandarin, but in a quaint, quiet, rolling environment. Most of the great amenities you find in the finest hotels are here, the rooms are spacious, the baths luxuriously massive, the details are ideal. One of the best nights of rest I've had in this fabulous bed, in addition to excellent service the restaurant and facilities are kept in top shape. My hotel driver was perfect, breakfast was stunning and the wine list was right up my alley: I'll be coming back.

Room Tip: I enjoyed a room overlooking the garden- which was soothing and beautiful.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank YaleDad
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I checked in today as we are considering this venue as an option for our company meeting in September and I cannot even begin to express how thrilled I am. From the time we checked in, we have rec’d nothing but outstanding service. Check in was quick and efficient. I went to the concierge desk to try to schedule a spa appointment and they were very good. The gift shop staff….amazing! We had a lunch meeting in the restaurant bar/lobby area and both the food and the service were great. We had dinner on the patio again tonight, on the bar side, and the food and service were outstanding! I happened to ask if an item was on the breakfast menu and he said no, but explained the menu, then without being asked, he brought me a breakfast menu! Last but not least we went and spontaneously asked for a tour of the spa and the relaxation room. We were gladly given a tour and the staff is clearly proud to work here. We even bought several spa products. We have to ship them home and I wanted to enjoy mine since it is my birthday this weekend. They sent me to the front desk to ask for a sample to take in my carry-on tomorrow. The guy at the front desk didn’t just send me to concierge where they have the product for the rooms, he personally walked over and got us the lotion and then called housekeeping and they brought us the gel.The pool area is calm, relaxing, and has cabanas. The grounds are impeccable and the property aligns a beautiful lake. Nice!!! Everyone here is professional, friendly, and demonstrates great teamwork. The rooms are spacious with double sinks, spa tubs, and closet spas. There is a great outdoor fireplace and the lounge/bar area is very comfortable. Outdoor dining is quiet with a great view and can be very romantic. Centraly located but without the hassel of a college campus. I am a regular traveler with discerning taste. I would return here by myself for a spa weekend as it is relaxing, safe, and secure. You cannot go wrong here and if you aren't happy, then you just aren't happy with life in general. :)

Room Tip: Room 316 is on the end and quiet but the complete opposite is overlooking the pool. It is a quiet ho...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Our stay at The Umstead Hotel and Spa will be remembered as one of the nicest places we have ever visited. From the time we stepped out of our car until we left four days later every detail was expertly attended to.

We stayed in a patio suite with our dog. The suite was spacious, well appointed and the hotel thoughtfully included a comfy bed and cute dog dish for Dana. The suite opened out to a beautiful herb garden and was so convenient for dog walks on the beautifully maintained 1/4 mile walking path or for my husband and my visits to the pool and spa.

With our dog in attendance we used the in room dining during our stay. The meals were delivered on time, wonderfully presented, and very delicious. The menu was somewhat limited however every item was very good.

The staff at The Umstead goes out of their way to be gracious and welcoming; we felt as though we had been coming to the hotel for years rather than it being our first visit .

The spa is world class and gave one of the best theraputic massages I have ever received.

To find a pet welcoming facility with this level of service is truly a gem. We look forward to our next visit to The Umstead Hotel and Spa

Room Tip: The patio Suite room was beautiful, quiet and secluded. If you are travveling with a dog the Patio...
1 Thank Appleway_Farm
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I was only here one night, but it was just an amazing hotel! I didn't get to the spa, but the fitness room was huge with elipticals, treadmills, free weights and Cybex equipment. Oh, and fitness balls. My room was just the standard, but it was gracious and lovely. And large! The bathroom was amazing, I even sent a photo to my husband. The only drawback for me was that they do allow pets – and there was a dog barking during the night. I don't typically sleep too well in hotels anyway, but that didn't help. I would suggest a higher floor if you go, as I expect anyone with a dog would need to be closer to ground level. Overall, though, just a beautiful place with great service.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cary
The Mayton Inn
The Mayton Inn
#6 of 22 in Cary
Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Cary
DoubleTree by Hilton Raleigh - Cary
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh / Crabtree Valley
Hampton Inn and Suites Raleigh/Cary-I-40 (PNC Arena)

Been to The Umstead Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!