“Hidden gem”

The Umstead Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The Umstead Hotel and Spa is a hidden gem in Cary, North Carolina. This hotel has beautiful rooms with state-of-the-art technology. The lights, climate, etc were all controlled by a tablet in the room. The turndown service was like an old school high end hotel. I stayed here for a work event but I would definitely come back personally. Jessica, a concierge, was incredibly helpful with printing directions to several locations for me. She also recommended restaurants and what to order. She was lovely!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the recent review of your stay with us. I am glad you appreciated our EVOLVE energy managment system in our guest rooms as well as the personalized touches by our staff. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

I knew this was a 5 star hotel the moment I made my reservation. When I got there the setting was explicit. Like a getaway tucked away in the city. The amenities, the courtesy, the friendliness set the Umstead apart from any luxury hotel I ever stayed at. The other guests I spoke with were return customers and recommended so many things to me. There is a shopping plaza less than half a mile away, close to the airport yet you would never realize that at the hotel and spa. Room was fantastic! Control EVERYTHING in your room with a touchpad. Business center is complete. In room dining was awesome and just as great as the fine restaurants downstairs. Truly a great value and an experience I will never forget.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Your review is truly appreciated. You really understand The Umstead and its benefits and I'm delighted your experience was so positive. I am glad you were able to experience so much of the property during your stay. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I didn't have high expectations for our stay in Cary, NC, but was pleasantly surprised by the Umstead. It's a beautiful hotel, situated on a small lake, with a nice walking path surrounding it, that has benches where you can sit and enjoy the scenery. The fall colors added to the beauty. Inside, the hotel is beautiful. Be sure to wander down the hallway past the restaurant to view some unusual art work.
The bar is full of comfortable seating areas in 3 connecting rooms and also has an outdoor patio where you can eat (also over-looking the lake.) We ate dinner a couple times in the bar, very good menu-be sure to try the squash soup if you go in the autumn, it was delicious. We had very slow service for one dinner with a group of 8, but another dinner with just the 2 of us, was served very promptly. We did not eat in the dining room where breakfast is served. Breakfast was expensive, but you can also do room service.
The beds and pillows are awesome! The bathroom is very nice. Turndown service, complete with chocolates, though we didn't get it the first night and the second night, they came at 9:30, we were already back in the room, so we passed.
I don't think any of the rooms would suffer from road noise, it seems tucked away pretty well and surrounded by trees, though it is not far off the highway.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel have balconies. Our room was very quiet, we never heard anyone in th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear you had a restful night sleep with us during your recent stay. I appreciate all of your comments as they give us the opportunity to learn and grow. We are constantly striving to provide memorable experiences for our guesst and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Checked into Umstead on Saturday. The room was gorgeous and staff was very attentive. I was taken here as a nice little getaway for the night even though I live about an hour away. My boyfriend booked us a couples massage. I've had many massages in my life, but this was my first couples massage. It was a Swedish massage, I think it was pretty weak. I'm used to more intense deep tissue and the masseuse didn't focus on my back and neck like I asked. So if the review were solely on the massage it'd be a 2.

Right before our dinner reservation at Herons my guy asked me to marry him right outside of the bar area on the terrace in front of outdoor fireplace. Very romantic, I said yes.

Dinner at Herons was such a great experience, Devon was our server and was phenomenal. I can't speak highly enough of the food and service. I love that Herons grows some of its own food and has deals with many local farmers for a great deal more of its food. The menu changes seasonally. It is pricy, but worth it for very special occasions. Dinner was 5 stars.

A few small quirks with the room, about half the tv channels didn't work. It looked to be all the HD channels not working. I felt the bath products not to be very high quality. We had a room on 2nd floor with extra large patio. Unfortunately we couldn't be out there often or even leave our door open, despite the perfect weather because the person in the next room was a chain smoker. If we're there for more than one night I would have asked to switch. We called ahead to ask their pet policy. Although they say pets are welcome, they charge $200 to let them stay. This fee isn't a deposit, you don't get it back at the end of the stay. This was informed to us before we got there, and we found boarding for our pup with a friend for the night.

The cons were minimal, I'm pretty sure the Umstead couldn't make the person in the next room stop smoking. TV was only watched for a short time. I wish I found the massage more enjoyable considering the price was shockingly high. The pros were the plush, there was an abundance of Keurig K-cup, the bed was comfy. It was a great night and very romantic to get engaged. We luckily got an extra hour of sleep due to the time change, so we got to spend some time lounging in the room before we checked out.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We spent a night at the Umstead to celebrate my daughter's 30th birthday. We enjoyed the spa experience so much as part of the stay that it was extremely rewarding to see the happiness on her face. I couldn't have thought of a better setting for her special day. The grounds are relaxing and beautiful, the room spacious and containing every amenity we could imagine. We had a lake front room with balcony which added to the serenity. I recommend staying for a special occasion- we were so touched by the champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries waiting for our arrival. In this day and time, to have turn-down service was an especially appreciated touch. The spa--that alone makes it worth a trip. The staff went above and beyond to help us to be comfortable and special throughout a three-hour treatment. Jeff and Natasha are amazing! They instinctively respected our level of relaxation and checked with us consistently to assure our comfort. Combine that with the cleanest shower, sauna, & whirlpool facilities, & you have the epitome of a great experience. There were many spaces to take a break or just to talk, & the relaxation area outdoors was private and inviting with lap blankets and space which happened to be free of intrusion. All in all, I have to say the room, the spa, the beautiful ambiance, & the attentive staff who provided items before we realized we wanted it made for a memorable birthday visit for my daughter and I. We hope to return for other, longer occasions in the future. The Umstead is the best of the best in my opinion considering I have stayed in hotels in Hawaii and California, across the south and from New York City to Georgia. I'm so glad there are still hotels which have the style and respect that were known in the past, but are nearly impossible to find today.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thorough review of your stay. I am glad you were able to take full advantage of our newly expanded spa while you were here. We are proud of the facility and of our staff who truly are the pulse of the place. We hope to welcome you back to the property for future celebrations or just because!

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Attended a wedding weekend at the Umstead Hotel and this was our first visit. It will not be our last. The service was fantastic. Staff was polite, attentive, helpful. The room was beautiful and well appointed. Wedding was gorgeous and set outdoors. I love this hotel and can't wait to return for a spa trip. You feel miles away from anyone even though you are in Cary. One of my favorite hotels!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I'm glad you've been introduced to The Umstead! Thank you for being our guest and for sharing your positive review of the experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have been going to The Ulmstead for massages for the past three or four years (I live local). PROS: As far as the staff, they are excellent - very accommodating, top notch. The facility is clean, warm, inviting, and absolutely what you would expect from a four star hotel spa. Anything you ask for, they will accommodate and make it happen. CONS: Price is, as expected, high. Because of that, you expect the best. The therapists are very good. Each one has a different method, so be sure to try different people to find your favorites. What is an absolute rip-off is the 75 minute massage - DO NOT GET THE 75 MINUTE! I have gotten this on numerous occasions and what I found is this. All other facilities I have been to, you get a 75 minute massage! Here, however, if you spend a lot extra for the 75 minute versus the 50 minute, what you are actually getting is around 60 minutes. Completely wrong and a lot of money for 10 more minutes. Several times now, I had worn my watch. Not on purpose, just had it (except last time was on purpose because I "caught on"). My massage was scheduled for 1:30 - I was still in the downstairs holding room waiting at 1:30 p.m. My therapist didn't get me until 1:35. We then rode up the elevator, went to the room, etc. By the time I was on the table and he started it was about 1:43 p.m. I had my robe on and was headed back to the room for water at 2:45 p.m. Again, this was not the first time it happened. The 50 minute massage is always a 50 minute massage. Stay with that. It will not disappoint.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Ann27539

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from The Umstead Spa. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the facility and staff. I regret to hear your disappointment in some aspects of your service interaction. We look forward to serving you again in the future and exceeding your expectations.

Jim Beley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cary
The Mayton Inn
The Mayton Inn
#7 of 22 in Cary
Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle
Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Raleigh - Cary
Hyatt House Raleigh North Hills
Hampton Inn and Suites Raleigh/Cary-I-40 (PNC Arena)

Been to The Umstead Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!