“One of the best hotels in the US..”

The Umstead Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Minnesota
“One of the best hotels in the US..”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I've stayed here overnight a couple of times before, but haven't had much time to really experience the hotel. Just came back from a two-night stay, and I have to say I think this is one of the top hotels in the US, comparable to and perhaps exceeding the best Four Seasons. Staff are friendly while unobtrusive, the food is great, rooms are huge and well-equipped, and the spa and fitness center are top-notch. I think the hotel and grounds are beautiful, and the whole experience just hangs together. While the Umstead has mostly a local/regional reputation because of its connection to SAS, its really one of the best places I've stayed anywhere. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Guest,

I am happy to hear you were able to return to spend a longer stay with us! Your review is generous and truly appreciated by the entire team. We value you as our guest and look forward to welcoming you back.

Jim Beley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Pasadena, Texas
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I travel often to the Raleigh Durham area have stayed at meny different hotels but have never found one that I would call excellent until this week.
The Umstead passed all expectations for value, service and overall experience. The Ritz could take a few lessons from the management team at the Umstead.
The normal room that I stayed in was 1st class with a very good bed, excellent lighting and nice batroom. The drapes actually kept all the light out which was a first in a hotel room.
My only recommendation for the room was that the air vent blew onto the desk where I was working.
The food and bar were excellent with good food and reasonable prices. I did not feel violated when presented with the check. definately something the Ritz could learn from.
If you stay at the Umstead, there is no need to leave to eat elsewhere. This is also a first for me when staying at a hotel for business.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the thoughtfulness of your recent review. We are grateful to have you as our guest and are honored that you had such a positive experience with our property and our wonderful associates. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The environment and setting is gorgeous. The staff is very friendly and accommodating, I felt like a VIP. They were able to rectify any problem without question. I would also suggest checking out the Company Mill Trail. You can walk there from the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you were able to enjoy Umstead State Park during your visit - a huge asset to our guests! We look forward to providing you with VIP service upon your return!

Port Washington, New York
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We were looking for,something a class nicer than a normal business hotel and found the umstead searching on line. This is a ferric hotel, every bit as nice and well run as a ritz carleton, for much less money. The people could not have been nicer. Be sure to ask,about the aaa discount.

Room Tip: Upgraded one level. Room was great.
Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am delighted you found us and we appreciate your business.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The Umstead is the best Hotel in North Carolina! It is relaxing, luxurious, elegant, and the stunning winner in all categories. The rooms are elegant, extremely spacious, and offer the peace and tranquillity of a fine home. Artwork floods every area. They even offer a guide to the Art. Heron's is a gourmet mecca with its own 'garden' for the freshest vegetables. In season,, the infinity pool offers a most relaxing space. This relatively small hotel has it all. Set in a wooded area, there is a special leisurely walk/path around the private lake. Serene and gorgeous! After many visits, we still are blown away by the quality, and beauty that is everywhere at this hotel. Five stars is not enough!

Room Tip: Lake-view King. Studio King is immense. The menu in the Bar has the same quality food as Heron's...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your glowing review and thank you for your time spent. It sounds like you had the opportunity to appreciate much of what The Umstead offers and I'm delighted to hear how pleased you were with your experience. We hope your travels bring you back to The Umstead soon!

Natick, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The Umstead Hotel and Spa is a hidden gem in Cary, North Carolina. This hotel has beautiful rooms with state-of-the-art technology. The lights, climate, etc were all controlled by a tablet in the room. The turndown service was like an old school high end hotel. I stayed here for a work event but I would definitely come back personally. Jessica, a concierge, was incredibly helpful with printing directions to several locations for me. She also recommended restaurants and what to order. She was lovely!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the recent review of your stay with us. I am glad you appreciated our EVOLVE energy managment system in our guest rooms as well as the personalized touches by our staff. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

I knew this was a 5 star hotel the moment I made my reservation. When I got there the setting was explicit. Like a getaway tucked away in the city. The amenities, the courtesy, the friendliness set the Umstead apart from any luxury hotel I ever stayed at. The other guests I spoke with were return customers and recommended so many things to me. There is a shopping plaza less than half a mile away, close to the airport yet you would never realize that at the hotel and spa. Room was fantastic! Control EVERYTHING in your room with a touchpad. Business center is complete. In room dining was awesome and just as great as the fine restaurants downstairs. Truly a great value and an experience I will never forget.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Your review is truly appreciated. You really understand The Umstead and its benefits and I'm delighted your experience was so positive. I am glad you were able to experience so much of the property during your stay. Thank you for being our guest.

Jim Beley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cary
The Mayton Inn
The Mayton Inn
#6 of 22 in Cary
Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Cary
DoubleTree by Hilton Raleigh - Cary
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh / Crabtree Valley
Hampton Inn and Suites Raleigh/Cary-I-40 (PNC Arena)

Been to The Umstead Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!