“Very Nice Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Blowing Rock, North Carolina
“Very Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is a really nice hotel. Definitely the best in central NC, but is not what I expected.
Here is what we found:
Facilities: Top Notch. Rooms are great and lobby area is over the top.
Food: Very good
Service/Staff: Good, but not great. One of my kids commented that the staff was "snooty" and I laughed and agreed. Is it asking too much to have friendly people in positions dealing with guests?
Location: Great

In summary, we had high hopes for this property. Being the only "5 star" hotel in North Carolina, the bar was set pretty high. Does it deserve 5 stars? Not based on our visit, but it is still a very nice hotel!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I am glad to learn of your positive experience with our facilities, food and beverage and décor. I regret that your interactions did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on having warm and gracious hospitality. We hope to have the opportunity to provide you a warm welcome on a return visit.

Jim Beley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Durham
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We frequent the Umstead either as part of a special dinner or a nice snack in the bar. The location is beautiful, the rooms and hotel service are 5 star. Unfortunately the bar/dining room menu needs an update and the restaurant and bar service a brush up in coordinating their service.

The bar menu has changed minimally in the 4+ years we've frequented the Umstead. I understand the benefit of not changing signature dishes but truffled shrimp on croissants- not so much. We ended up going lowbudget at Burger Fi across the street. Breakfast was okay and service was disorganized but always friendly. One wait staff introduced herself as our primary person who would take care of us and I'm not sure we ever saw her again-we were asked a few times by different people what we wanted to drink.

Also what were they thinking when they suggest that their guests use the Embassy Suites indoor pool? That's like staying at the Ritz and being sent to the Golden Corral for the breakfast buffet.

Absolutely gorgeous hotel but please bring Ann Goodnight back to completely rethink the menus (consider more healthy choices) and retool the waitstaff procedures. ( This was a problem this summer as well).
(One more thing- its time to retire the bath amenities in the rooms)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa B
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here several times now over the past 5 years. It is the best of the best (really nothing else like it) for the Triangle area. For a relaxing time away, this is the place to go. The food, drinks and service are always at excellent. For a unique food experience, have dinner at Herons. The three course menu option gives you just the right amount of flavor and food. Don't worry about the price it's worth the experience. The wine pairing is nice as well.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate your compliments of the property, food, beverage and service. We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Spur of the moment relaxation trip. Was only going to stay one night, but liked it so much, stayed a second night. ABSOLUTELY loved the room - had a Lake View Balcony Room. Beds super comfortable, and I'm already researching installing a lighting system like theirs at my home - had SO much fun turning the lights on and off! Housekeeping, I'm not really sure about. There were 3 of us, and getting additional toiletries was not easy. Wine glasses in the room were used the first night, but not replaced for the second night. Toiletries not refilled.

A little more information from reception would have been helpful. Didn't understand that parts of the spa are available without treatment - glad we discovered this early enough to take advantage! I agree with other reviews, the pretentiousness of some of the staff is WAY above what I find acceptable. The spa reception - "those facilities are only available to hotel guests"... didn't ask first if we were guests. The bar - asked for a pen, to charge to my room - "oh, you are hotel guests?"... this happened both nights, different waitresses.

I am in and out of the hotel a lot, felt a little silly having ALL 4 doors being opened for me. Dining options are too limited for us, and the menu not to our liking, but obviously that's a personal thing. For the area this hotel is in, I think it's a bit overpriced, but if the situation is right, we would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Wilson, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We have stayed at the Umstead a few times not and I would have to say its one of my favorite hotels I have ever stayed in. The service is amazing, the rooms are well decorated and comfortable. We brought our 2 young kids last time and they were not frowned upon which really bothers me about some nice places. Its like rich people don't have and don't like kids?? The Umstead was nothing like that. Ours kids were brought crayons and special treats and everyone was so freindly to them. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest! We are glad you and your children felt at home with us. That is our goal each and every time and it brings me great pleasure to know we achieved that with your family. We look forward to your return!

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Heron's restaurant is good if you like inflated menu prices for quail.
Too I was having dinner at the bar and there were two staff members-just talking because there weren't any patrons.
And the hotel staff that are there act obsequiously and with an affected air.

But on the positive side, the beds were excellent and the room was spot on.
And the Umstead is only 9 minutes from RDU.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank tobes303
Dear Guest,

I am glad you enjoyed an excellent overnight stay and found our location to be convenient for you. I regret that you were less than satisfied with your food and beverage experiences. Please accept my sincerest apologies and know that we'd welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

New York
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

I read good things about this hotel prior to coming and must say it exceeded my expectations. This hotel is on par with Four Seasons it is that good. Not a detail missed, service was excellent and the touch screen remote that controls all of the lighting etc was great. Will definitely stay here again when in Raleigh next, no brainer.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Your glowing review is humbling. Thank you for your feedback of our property and for being our guest. I am glad you enjoyed our EVOLVE system and that you would plan to return should your travels bring you to Raleigh again.

Jim Beley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cary
The Mayton Inn
The Carolina Inn
#3 of 18 in Chapel Hill
Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club
Hyatt House Raleigh North Hills

Been to The Umstead Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!