The Umstead Hotel and Spa
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Arena Suites(Raleigh)
View Hotel
All reviewsherons restaurantfour seasonsturn down servicelake viewluxury hotelumstead state parksteam roomsoaking tubsmall lakesas campusroom servicenorth carolinarooms are beautifulbar loungeseparate showerin room diningbottled water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have stayed at The Umstead at least 10 times in the past couple of years, always on business. It is truly a 5-star hotel. The service is impecable. The moment you enter the hotel, you are greeted by your name with many to assist you. The rooms are a good size and offer a tremendously comfortable bed and a large, marble bathroom with hugh soaking tub and separate shower. If you reserve a room with a balcony, you have a great view of the pond and gorgeous setting. There are great walking paths as well as jogging trails from 2, 5, 10 km dependent on the route. The grounds are impeccably maintained and offer tranquilty after a long day.

I usually opt for room service which is fantastic. Always delivered on time, they provide a comfortable, formal set up in your room. If you choose the restaurant, you are in for a treat. Although very expensive, the flavors are unique. The bar area offers a slightly smaller menu. Grab a glass of wine and sit out on the back balcony near the fire- great atmosphere.

I ordered breakfast via room service every morning. The lovely attendant would see my room number and recall my order from the previous morning (by memory). She was amazing.

The room prices are very competitive for business travelers with expense guidelines. For the quality of hotel, I find them to be quite low. This quality of hotel could certainly charge much higher rates.

The one good thing about traveling to RTP for 16 hour work days is The Umstead.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you sharing your experience from the perspective of a business traveler. It is always wonderful to learn of how our travelers utilize the property and I'm glad you find calm and serenity by staying with us. We hope your work or pleasure travels bring you back to the Raleigh/Durham market so we can welcome you back again!

With Best Regards,

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel. Great service. There are a few things that I did not like to give it five stars. Food is very expensive and too "creative". I love creative food but it should also be tasty. I did not find any good and healthy salad and appetizer. Main course isn't impressive either. We were also promised by American Express a nice view and an upgrade but it never happened. I would ask hotel management to replace pool chairs that don't recline. Everyone by the pool found them uncomfortable. Pool was too crowded. Also there is no nice waiting area in the spa. After visiting Las Vegas spas it is disappointing. Please add nice and relaxing waiting area with fruits and refreshments. I am not sure that we will come back to stay at this property.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

This was our girls get away. It was a nice stay. The rooms were very nice spacious and comfortable. The bed felt like heaven. The spa was nice, I enjoyed the amenities. The staff was very nice. It was a little noises for a fancy hotel. Overall it was a nice stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for selecting The Umstead Hotel and Spa for your girlfriend getaway experience. I'm glad you enjoyed a memorable experience with us.

With Best Regards,

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

My business colleague suggested I stay here for a business trip. I am so happy she recommended this. A beautiful property, very exquisite rooms, and the restaurant was wonderful. Service is 5 star quality. I am going to return for a non-business purpose some day. Do not miss this if you are in Raleigh area.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I would personally be delighted to welcome you back! Often our business guests decide that returning as a leisure guest is a must to explore the dining, spa and amenities we offer. I hope you are able to visit us again soon.

With best regards,

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in. It came as a surprise because I was on a business trip and did not expect this level of elegance and comfort in a suburban office park type setting fairly close to the RDU airport. But everything about this hotel struck me as top notch, from the entry way to the spacious and very modern rooms that hit a high mark for comfort. The food was excellent, and the gym was also very good. Its a treat to stay here, and I hope that I have another opportunity.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I enjoyed reading your surprise and delight with The Umstead Hotel and Spa. We pride ourselves in being a beacon of comfort and hospitality. I hope the next time you stay with us you'll have time to explore the spa and more of our amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back!

With best regards,