“Best Spa in the Carolinas”

The Umstead Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Best Spa in the Carolinas”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

What an incredible escape! I spent a day relaxing and soaking up the rejuvenating luxury of the Umstead Spa. I had a marvelous facial, massage and scrub. My masseur was excellent and very courteous (wanted to be sure I had adequate privacy and felt comfortable at all times). The facilities are gorgeous, and the pools are lovely. It was not crowded at all during my visit, and I really appreciated having the day to swim and sunbathe before and after my treatments. There are nice small touches, too, as one would expect from such a top-notch resort:.complimentary sunscreen, spa snacks, bottles of cold water in a tin bucket. I can't wait to return for an overnight stay at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for being a guest of our Spa. We tell everyone to come during the week when they can enjoy the outdoor pool as it truly seals the deal in making it an escape! As an overnight guest you get to use the spa facilities complimentary too! We look forward to welcoming you back for an overnight trip!

Jim Beley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Elizabeth City, NC
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My husband and I recently spent one night at The Umstead to celebrate our 33rd wedding anniversary. We were delighted with the size of our room, the quality amenities, the wonderful bedding, the cleanliness, and the really wonderful service throughout the hotel. We had drinks at the bar (very stylish, but my Manhattan was not first rate), the chef's tasting menu and wine pairing dinner at Heron's (an exceptional, but very pricey experience!), and breakfast at Heron's the following morning (we had to wait quite a while to be served, even though the restaurant was far from full; the food was good, but not exceptional; the service was exceptional). The grounds are exquisite, with a large lake with fountain, expansive decking with chairs and tables, and a large swimming pool. We did not have enough time to avail ourselves with any of the spa services, but many staying here did. A wonderful stay for us!

Room Tip: Ask to have a room overlooking the lake/pool area.
Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your recent 33rd wedding anniversary and thank you for spending it with us! Thank you for your constructive review. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back for many more special occasions.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The Bottom Line:
The Umstead offers 5-star service and amenities. The rooms are superb and the spa experience that we had was excellent. The food served at the bar and lounge is very good but.... the pool simply can't handle the load of people.

Our stay at the Umstead bordered on being perfect. As mentioned above, the only problem that we encountered was the pool. Unless you secured a free lounger at the crack of dawn or had a team-rotation strategy to maintain one... forget about getting any access. Also, the ratio of umbrellas to loungers is about 1:3 so you'd better have good sun protection. So... we went and spent our afternoon in the small spa pool which was excellent.

Perhaps it was just a very busy weekend but the staff did nothing to remedy the situation and appeared to be more concerned with ensuring that guests ordering drinks remained undisturbed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KernT28
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive score and constructive review. We appreciate your concerns and I apologize for the difficult time you had at the outdoor pool. As you can imagine, we do have a high number of guests utilizing the pool on the weekends, however I regret that we were not able to service you to a satisfactory level. I hope to be given the opportunity to exceed your expectations on a return visit!

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I live local and have read about the Umstead since the Goodnights began development.
My experience is only with the bar/lounge service which was poor.
Arrived Saturday evening to have drinks with friends who were staying there. They had drinks when we arrived so my date and I decided to order a bottle of wine to share. Four trips back and 20 minutes after we ordered our wine we still didn't have our bottle of wine. Waiter didn't seem to care and was unenthusiastic about overcoming this problem. Apparently our "good" bottle of wine was stored downstairs and there was only one person who knew where it was???
Our waiter never apologized, offered an alternative, gave us a clear idea of when the bottle might arrive or any number of options that might have been ok. He stopped by periodically to see if our friends might need another drink. Finally after around 25 minutes I said forget the wine I'll have a drink instead. At this point there was still some hope that he'd recognize the problem and make at least a half-hearted attempt to do something or offer even an insincere apology. Instead, he said "Ok, what would you like?"
I have heard the restaurant and bar service is typically very slow from numerous friends and this was my experience as well. I can't imagine I'll be back anytime soon. At these prices, great service should be expected.

2 Thank 779933
Oklahoma City
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Beautiful quiet hotel nestled in hilly North Carolina landscape. Luxury accommodations and good food. A few tips--there are not enough pool chairs so if you are there to relax by the pool, go down before 9 a.m. and stake out your spot. Also, unless you need valet, park the car yourself for the guest parking lot is a short walk from the lobby and the speed of the valet service is inconsistent. Other than those few items, it was an extremely pleasant and relaxing experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I'm glad you had an overall positive stay and appreciate you sharing the constructive comments. We strive to exceed guest expectations and your comments will be shared with our team.

Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is a wonderful place to come for a weekend getaway or just to unwind. The staff could not be more helpful and courteous. They greet you by name everywhere you go in the hotel & spa and go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. The rooms are comfortable and spacious with plenty of room for your things and to lounge. The spa is relaxing and a wonderful place to spend time. I did the morning yoga class (offered on Sat & Sun) which was great. It was outside which I enjoyed except for the mosquitos which were fierce. We had breakfast both mornings at Herons which we strongly recommend. Overall, well worth it and I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: You can valet or self-park
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us! I am truly glad you were able to participate in our weekend yoga program. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I am posting this for my husband who doesn't usually write reviews however however he was so disappointed about the experience that he put this together. As we were together (he planned a BD celebration for me), I am posting:

I started the day calling at 9:00 am to let the to remind them that we might be in a bit early - 1:30 ish to a 3:00 p.m. GUARANTEED check-in. We had other options to spend our time but getting checked in to the hotel was our preference. I had also noted such on the notes to the reservation. The nice, but somewhat clumsily spoken man let me know that he would "prioritize our check-in" as a result of the call, but couldn't guaranty our "priority status". (Fair enough). At about 1:30 p.m, we were about 40 minutes outside of Cary, I called again to confirm and was again told that they were not sure about when the room would be available. "Leading Hotels" have leading systems that help them manage rooms. Maybe the staff isn't trained yet in how to use the room allocation system?

Actual arrival at the hotel was 2:20 p.m., only 40 minutes before the guaranteed check in time. At check-in, a pleasant enough young man (David) noted that our room wasn't ready, didn't know what time it would be available, but assured that we wold be on priority status. We decided to walk around the grounds as we waited for our room.

At 3:30 p.m., 30 minutes past the guaranteed check in time, I decided to check with the front desk to determine the status of our room (as no one had thought to communicate with us)

Apparently the hotel staff had decided that we were worthy of an uprade to a one-bedroom suite vs. the executive suite that I had reserved....great!.... .oops, but that room wasn't ready and would be at least another 30 minutes. However, the very pleasant gal could tell that I was getting a bit annoyed, especially when I noted that my wife and I could have spent the afternoon over at Prestonwood CC where we are members (irony – the Goodnight family was involved in the development of Prestonwood CC and The Umstead Hotel) rather than in the lobby of the hotel...so she offered up some free drinks. A nice enough waiter came by and asked a couple which was sitting near us if they would like to order their free drinks. The couple seemed confused and refused...and the waiter didn't approach us.

About 5 minutes later (3:45), one of the front desk associates let us know that we could have our regular executive suite or wait another 20 minutes for the one-bedroom suite. My wife and I noted we would take the our original room, expecting that should would immediately return with our keys. After another 5 minutes a member of the bar staff came by to offer us drinks and provided drink menus. Immedaitely thereafter the front desk associate came back with our keys to our original room....dilemma! Drinks? our execuite suite? or a counter offer for the one-bedroom suite?

We decided to have a drink and the wait for the upgrade to the one-bedroom suite. It was past the promised time on the one-bedroom suite but we felt we needed a libation to calm us down.

The rest of the stay passed uneventfully - an excellent room and no recurrence of poor customer service. However, it could have started so much better if the staff knew the room availability and managed accordingly.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank KPDallas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cary
The Mayton Inn
The Carolina Inn
#3 of 18 in Chapel Hill
Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club
Hyatt House Raleigh North Hills

Been to The Umstead Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!