The Umstead Hotel and Spa
US$86
US$115
US$135
US$126
Hampton Inn Raleigh/Cary(Cary)(Great Value!)
US$105
Hampton.com
Comfort Suites Regency Park(Cary)(Great Value!)
US$100
SpringHill Suites Raleigh Cary(Cary)(Great Value!)
US$99
Hotels.com
La Quinta Inn & Suites Raleigh Cary(Cary)(Great Value!)
US$112
Travelocity
All reviewsherons restaurantfour seasonsturn down servicelake viewluxury hotelumstead state parksteam roomsoaking tubsmall lakesas campusroom servicenorth carolinarooms are beautifulbar loungeseparate showerin room diningbottled water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 August 2014

A five-star, five-diamond hotel in NC and it is exquisite! The grounds are pristine, the building is blended into the lakeside setting, the features and amenities are surprising and numerous. This was the largest single room I have ever seen, with attention to every detail and exceptionally clean. And so quiet that you forget you are in a building, even though its small for a top hotel.

Room Tip: Backside rooms face the lake.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Your enthusiasm is appreciated! I am delighted you expereienced such a restful stay with us. We hope to have the priveliege of welcoming you back!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here recently. It was my turn plan one of our weekly date nights. We stayed in the Lakeview Balcony King Suite. This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. I got a "you are the best girlfriend ever" stamp of approval! This is a place that I chose to splurge on and boy am I happy I did. There is complimentary internet, shoe shine, and a Keurig coffee maker. We enjoyed the pool and poolbar of course, a nice relaxing walk around the lake, the 24 hr concierge services and in-room dining options that were phenomenal. Having complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby every morning was a very nice touch. Listening to the harpist at afternoon tea was an amenity we missed, but I was told it was a great part of the experience. Live entertainment at night in the lounge, what more can you ask for. Nightly turndown service, beautiful room, comfortable, nice decor, large, and very clean. We thought it was priced accordingly. No complaints at all. We were able to enjoy every minute of our stay and we are already booked to go back.

1  Thank Navychic

Dear Guest,

I'm glad you were named "best girlfriend ever" with your trip to The Umstead! It's great to hear that you appreciated all of the little things we do to make our guests more comfortable. We hope to welcome you back for more special getaways in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

What an incredible escape! I spent a day relaxing and soaking up the rejuvenating luxury of the Umstead Spa. I had a marvelous facial, massage and scrub. My masseur was excellent and very courteous (wanted to be sure I had adequate privacy and felt comfortable at all times). The facilities are gorgeous, and the pools are lovely. It was not crowded at all during my visit, and I really appreciated having the day to swim and sunbathe before and after my treatments. There are nice small touches, too, as one would expect from such a top-notch resort:.complimentary sunscreen, spa snacks, bottles of cold water in a tin bucket. I can't wait to return for an overnight stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being a guest of our Spa. We tell everyone to come during the week when they can enjoy the outdoor pool as it truly seals the deal in making it an escape! As an overnight guest you get to use the spa facilities complimentary too! We look forward to welcoming you back for an overnight trip!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

My husband and I recently spent one night at The Umstead to celebrate our 33rd wedding anniversary. We were delighted with the size of our room, the quality amenities, the wonderful bedding, the cleanliness, and the really wonderful service throughout the hotel. We had drinks at the bar (very stylish, but my Manhattan was not first rate), the chef's tasting menu and wine pairing dinner at Heron's (an exceptional, but very pricey experience!), and breakfast at Heron's the following morning (we had to wait quite a while to be served, even though the restaurant was far from full; the food was good, but not exceptional; the service was exceptional). The grounds are exquisite, with a large lake with fountain, expansive decking with chairs and tables, and a large swimming pool. We did not have enough time to avail ourselves with any of the spa services, but many staying here did. A wonderful stay for us!

Room Tip: Ask to have a room overlooking the lake/pool area.

Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your recent 33rd wedding anniversary and thank you for spending it with us! Thank you for your constructive review. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back for many more special occasions.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

The Bottom Line:
The Umstead offers 5-star service and amenities. The rooms are superb and the spa experience that we had was excellent. The food served at the bar and lounge is very good but.... the pool simply can't handle the load of people.

Our stay at the Umstead bordered on being perfect. As mentioned above, the only problem that we encountered was the pool. Unless you secured a free lounger at the crack of dawn or had a team-rotation strategy to maintain one... forget about getting any access. Also, the ratio of umbrellas to loungers is about 1:3 so you'd better have good sun protection. So... we went and spent our afternoon in the small spa pool which was excellent.

Perhaps it was just a very busy weekend but the staff did nothing to remedy the situation and appeared to be more concerned with ensuring that guests ordering drinks remained undisturbed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KernT28

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive score and constructive review. We appreciate your concerns and I apologize for the difficult time you had at the outdoor pool. As you can imagine, we do have a high number of guests utilizing the pool on the weekends, however I regret that we were not able to service you to a satisfactory level. I hope to be given the opportunity to exceed your expectations on a return visit!