“Best meal in the area”

The Gamekeeper's Tavern
Ranked #14 of 34 Restaurants in Cashiers
Cuisines: American, Bar, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Best meal in the area”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I hate Sirloin..but I would order it here every night. Tender! Candied bacon was wonderful! Such a great find. Will be back again.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank mominAL

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Nice place, attentive service but average food”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I'd likely go back and specifically in the evening for another try. The menu had some good looking options and we may have picked poorly for our liking. We were there for lunch and I gather that the place must do well at night. Easy to find. Service was good, Good selection of beers and wines.

• Visited June 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“yummy bread pudding”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

enjoyed the ambience, but the food is way too pricey for what you get. Filet reduction sauce tasted like it came from a McCormicks dry packet, but filet was good. The bread pudding ended things nicely, but for the price, I'd recommend the Brown Trout Mountain Grille for quality, consistency and variety at a more reasonable price.

Visited May 2014
Tennessee
“Charming atmosphere, stellar food in Sapphire Valley”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We weren't expecting to find a restaurant with so many gluten free options on the menu - and Gamekeeper's exceeded my husband's and my dietary and flavor expectations. From past reviews, I think there has been confusion about the back entrance, but upon parking we were easily directed by a well-located sign with an arrow. We requested patio seating so we could hear the Bluegrass trio during our meal. The main dining room was rented for an event (rehearsal dinner?), but there is plenty of outdoor and lounge seating available. We made reservations but it seemed like they had some walk-in seating open as well. We had no problems whatsoever with the "team serving" here; our waitress, hostess, food-server, and the manager all checked on us unobtrusively. We heard them conversing with several other tables and they seem to be able to play off the guests to customize the experience, whether you want to be left alone or chat it up. We've eaten at many great locations across the globe, from AAA five diamond and Michelin starred to hole-in-the-walls, diners, and food trucks, and this measured up as another fine experience. We started off with candied bacon, because why not? It was delicious, probably not nitrate-free, but we could've honestly had it for dessert, it was that "melt in your mouth" rich. We continued with a spinach salad and beet/goat cheese salad. The cheeses elevated the dishes - the Parmigiano-Reggiano was pert and peppery and the goat cheese was not your standard round/crumbly but spongy and mild. We went all meat for the mains. I am in awe of the elk chop. My last Elk experience was at Victoria and Alberts (Elk medallions), and this was such a delightful contrast. It was perfectly seared on the outside and pink and tender on the inside. The wild-berry glaze had just the right touch of boozy sweetness. My husband's six-hour pork ribs were mouthwatering. When your mouth keeps watering as you eat each bite, you know it's good. The barbecue sauce had some spice and went really well with the sweet potato fries. Regarding the management - we had no cause for complaint, but a couple next to us had to send back a chicken dish - I'm unsure why. The management went above and beyond, getting details of what was wrong and offering to correct any mistakes, bringing out menus and more suggestions, specially preparing another dish with some chef's extras in a timely manner (all this happened and the couple still left before us), making sure the replacement dish was great, as well as reducing the bill. That's top notch service in my opinion. My only suggestion is this: please put some gluten free dessert(s) on the menu! A Crème brûlée or flourless chocolate cake, or even a berries and cream dish in season. We liked it so much that we are going back tomorrow, and I may just ask the chef if they can whip something up!

• Visited June 2014
St. Marys, Georgia
“Inappropriate response to bad food”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have eaten many times at the Gamekeeper's Tavern with my daughter who loves it because of the Beet Salad their policy to allow dogs on the porch. The food (for the price) isn't exceptional, but the atmosphere and general "vibe" contribute to a pleasant eating experience. For this reason we brought our very good friends to the restaurant. My steak was literally as tough as old shoe leather. I didn't want to make a fuss in front of the friends and spoil their evening, but when the waitress removed our dishes, my steak was gnawed and uneaten. I tactfully explained to her that this meat was unacceptable to serve this to any more diners. You might have thought (in lieu of taking the dinner off the bill) that the one dessert would be comp'd. Neither happened. I won't go back.

• Visited May 2014