“Local Favorite” 4 of 5 bubbles

Carolina Smokehouse
Ranked #10 of 33 Restaurants in Cashiers
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: It's a BBQ restaurant on the highway between Cashiers and Highlands, NC. (I think they refer to it as "The Cashiers Highway." There aren't many places to eat -- kinda rural and mountainous, but this restaurant has big signage and located right on the highway. The card I picked up said "Rob & Tammy Williams, with ph no. 828-743-3200, fax 828-743-9770
Cashiers, North Carolina
“Local Favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I've been coming here for years. My wife and I probably eat here at least twice per month. Very inexpensive. Plenty of food. It can get very busy around lunch time because many local workers come here then. So you come about 11:30 or a little after 1:00 and it's not nearly as busy. Real smoked chicken and pork. If you haven't been in a while, Rob has added a few more sandwiches and a wrap to the menu. This is very casual. No fancy smokehouse, just good food and good people. Great for families with kids.

Visited July 2014

Greenville, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not my kind of BBQ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I hate burned food. The pork in my sandwich was minced so finely that charred meat was in every bite. After two bites I looked in the bun and asked if it was possible to get unburned meat. I was told "no." There was no offer to replace the inedible food and I ate no more of the nasty thing. The charge remained on the bill.

This is a very popular restaurant. Other members of my family like it a lot and they buy jars of the sauce to take home. (I think the sauce is OK, but it's not good enough for me to want to buy any.) Some friends look forward to eating there when they go to Cashiers.

Visited August 2013
Aurora, Illinois
“Great BBQ, loved everything about it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

On our recent vacation to NC, I wanted to get some good southern BBQ. The Carolina Smokehouse delivered. The food was excellent (I had the beef brisket plate with hot sauce on the side). The meat and sauce were great. I had to get a jar of sauce to go. Prices were extremely reasonable. The restaurant had character, filled with friendly locals.

• Visited June 2014
Dublin, Ohio
“Casual and good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

My kids love the barbecue, but their favorite part is the license plates on the walls! This is a very casual restaurant and the food is excellent. The price is good too. One of our favorites!

• Visited August 2013
Seneca, South Carolina
“Past its prime”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Smokehouse used to be one of my favorite BBQ places, but it seems to have passed into different hands. The burgers and pork BBQ just do not have the same flavor that they did. It's still pretty good, but if you have been there in years past, don't expect the same food you had before.

Visited February 2014