“Offseason disappointment”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cashiers
High Hampton Inn & Country Club
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cashiers
“Offseason disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2008

I have wanted to go to High Hampton for a long time and was finally able to do so in September. We realized we were in the offseason and that the guest list and activities would be lighter, but there were just too many small things that were "off." First, we had requested an in-room refrigerator when making the reservation and did not get one. We inquired at the front desk about checking out a badminton set and was told that it was in the teen center which is closed for the season. The heater in the room was directly behind a drape (fire hazard) so we had to find a way to prop up the drape when we turned on the heater. The shower drained very slowly and shower water would puddle at your feet. The food was hit (soups, carved meats, etc.) or miss (quesadillas with American cheese?). We wanted to visit the fitness center and found it's not nearby and you have to pay $14 a day. I could tolerate some of these but I expected more for the very high prices we were paying. On the plus side, the scenery, hiking trails and access to offseason self-service boats was nice. I can see the nostalgic appeal for some, but I don't think our family will be going back.

• Liked — Staff were very polite, views were nice
  • Disliked — High prices more mediocre accommodations
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank TarHeel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Coastal NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2008

My 2 girls (5 and 3) and I just returned from a 2 night stay at the High Hampton. I only reserved 2 nights because I am a single parent and wasn't quite sure what I was getting myself into with no tv and no ac and such. . . my girls and I loved every minute of it. While the temps did reach about 89 while we were there the mtns of NC have such low humidity compared to the coast (where we're from) that it still felt cool especially with the mountain breezes. The evenings were blissful.

My girls attended the Kids Camp for younger kids and they had a wonderful time. Our room was located on the 2nd floor of the inn so we had access to wireless internet from our room which was great for me for after the kids went to bed. I was a little concerned when I first got there because our room is located directly under the stairs - but I really only heard one rambunctious child running down the stairs.

My girls found trees to climb, trails to explore, loved the evening activities (bingo and horseracing) - they even loved running in the sprinklers. The pedal boats were great and affordable. I never would have guessed that after 3 days I would still have to drag my girls away from the front porch crying about the trees that hadn't had a chance to climb. I don't think they even realized that the room didn't have a tv!

Mostly, the meals were wonderful. While I understand what the previous reviewer was saying about the kids meal - my children always found something to eat. I believe though that kids can actually appreciate good food and don't always have to have "simple" foods (pizza, hot dogs, blahblahblah) to appreciate them - my girls loved the tomato with mozarella and pesto! (me too!) Plus, if I can find out the recipe for the guacamole and the salsa it would be a weekly staple in our house!! lol

The waitstaff was FANTASTIC. We had Edgar (I think) the first night, then Desi and Stephan, and I think Olga (she was from the Ukraine anyway. . .) and they were all absolutely wonderful. Glasses were always filled and plates were taken away before we would return with out next plate - they always greeted the girls and even inquired where they were when I was dining alone. It was very nice. They made me feel very welcome and it felt as if they were happy to be there as well - which really goes a long way.

One word though, they offer a list of waterfalls in the area - there are many - the most exciting one was Dry Falls where you can walk behind the falls - we took the afternoon to go explore and found that Dry Falls was actually closed - so be aware of that because I don't think they knew it.

We will definitely return - it really felt like, even though it was our first visit, we were visiting family. . .

• Liked — Staff and property
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank PECAH
Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2008

We just returned from 3 days, Thursday through Sunday at High Hampton. We have 3 boys under 8, and went with my sister and her family who have 3 children under 8 also.

The children had a wonderful time - all is very child friendly and there are TONS of children around. Everyone seemed to make instant friends with the other kids, and there was always something going on in the early evening - from ball games on the lawn, to table tennis tournements, etc. There is also shuffleboard, near the tennis courts probably 50 yards from the Inn - it is in the shade so it is a nice thing to do to get out of the sun.

There is no A/C and it was unusually hot so we really never got cooled off - rooms are rustic but clean, no phone, no tv. GREAT connecting rooms - we had two rooms which connected and it was perfect. One had two queens and a bathroom you walked through to get to the other which was two twins and a private bath.

All ancillary costs were very reasonable: paddle boats and canoes rented for 7.00, free life vests for those iffy swimmers, etc. 1.00 drinks in the lobby but I would HIGHLY recommend requesting a fridge in your room - they are free and at least when we were there it was SOOOO hot we needed to be drinking something constantly!

There is a Tavern that opens in late afternoon that sells alcohol and wine is available at dinner, HOWEVER, Cashiers is in a dry county so don't expect to drive to the grocery store to pick up some wine or beer when you get there. Lots of folks apparently made this mistake - we did bring a bottle of red wine which it was too hot to drink!!! Either bring your own or Highlands is not in a dry county so you can go to the ABC store over there.

Overall, everyone had a wonderful time. I do have a couple of comments though:

For a child friendly place we struggled to find something for the kids to eat at lunch and dinner . . . With 6 children under 8 we do have some picky eaters and there were several meals with really nothing kid friendly. One meal had roasted chicken coated in some sort of herb which the children declared "too spicy", and there were a couple of other meals which were really too adult for the crowd. I would suggest having at least one kid friendly food at every meal - chicken, hot dogs, fries, spaghetti, etc. for the pickier eaters. Either that or bring pb and j to eat in a pinch. We do have a couple of kids which were happy with shrimp scampi and chicken parmesean but even that was a bit much for the younger ones.

The salad bar and fruit selections were great at every meal so that is a plus!

A couple of other things: The wait staff was not trained very well. We had to flag our waitress (who was the same each meal) down every time and ask for drinks, rather than her coming up when we arrived at our reserved table. It was not that she was busy - she was just hanging around - but it would have been very nice to have someone show up and take drink orders right away, or at least fill the water glasses (as I said it was HOT and we had lots of kiddies we were trying to manage). Part of this may have been a language problem - she was Russian or of Slavic descent I think and could not speak very good English.

My final complaint is twofold: there are lots of activites but almost none of them had the price by them. The camps are great but we had to ask several people to find out that they were $5.00 an hour per child if you are on the meal plan. There is nothing on the kids camp brochure or sign up sheet which says how much it is and several of the people we asked behind the desk didn't know either. On the plus side, 4 of our kids went to camp and loved it. We also saw the camp counselors at the lake with the campers and it was very organized and well supervised.

Also, there was a big sign up for a Family Hayride on Saturday night but no one was able to tell us how much that would be: first person said no charge, but that didn't sound right, next person said she thought it was 5.00 per child per hour but wasn't sure that was right since parents would come along and there wouldn't be a need for babysitting services, and no one was ever able to figure out the right cost.

I would strongly suggest when you advertise activities on a huge sign in the lobby that if there is a fee the cost should be prominently displayed. This caused a lot of confusion with us and other guests.

Overall, however, it was a great place and we will go back.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank athensmomof3
beemanga, General Manager at High Hampton Inn & Country Club, responded to this review, 8 July 2008
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent visit. Your recommendations will be incorporated into new processes. We will include more child friendly items and include the accurate pricing for services. Your feedback is helpful to our operation, and we hope to see you again.
djones@highhamptoninn.com
Wilmington, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2008

My wife and I just returned from a 4 night stay at the High Hampton Inn. This resort is a great place to get away and to enjoy one of the more beautiful places in America, the mountains of south west North Carolina.

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor I wondered if I had made a mistake in booking this stay. Some people had commented on the food, others indicated that it might not be for everyone, especially given the dress code. The later statement is true, the High Hampton might not be for everyone but, that is true for all vacation destinations. If you are looking for a rustic, yet comfortable place to get away where the prime activity is getting outside, where the service (and food) is wonderful, this is your place.

And yes, the food was excellent, if you like lamb, roast beef, and braised duck breast with all the suitable side dishes for a great dinner. Lunch and breakfasts were equally good. The service was great too. Amelia, Olga, and Gusti never let our drinks get empty, quickly cleared away unneeded dishes, and took care of our every need at meal times. Bud was great at the carving station, making sure that we got the cut of meats we wanted and that we did not leave the dinning room hungry. There is a planned weekly menu that I saw. If you are concerned about the meals, you might ask that the menu be emailed or faxed to you if possible.

All the staff at the High Hampton were extremely kind and helpful. Tina made sure that we were happy with our room, which was the Caroline Cottage, 102. It was a little ways from the main Inn and dining room but it had a fireplace and a great view of the lake and Rock Mountain from the back porch. If you like quite, it might not be a good room in the summer months as it is close to the volley ball and swimming areas. But, while we there, it was great. I did feel sorry for Tyler who, without complaint, had to cart our luggage the distance from the Inn to the cottage.

The manager, Mr. Jones, was also great about making sure that our stay was a good one and in giving us advice about day trips, especially concerning the water falls in the area and how easy it was to view them. The level of service and interest that the staff pays to each guest even includes the owner, Mr. McKee, who takes a personal interest in who stays at the Inn.

We hope to return to the Inn next May but the next time I hope that our adult children and their wives can return with us.

• Liked — quite
  • Disliked — needed a sofa
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank robertcsutton
We appreciate your kind remarks about your visit with us. We hope we can be of service to you again. We do have a special this fall in which you book 4 nights and receive the 5th night complimentary. Hope to see you again.
aiken
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2007

We just returned from a peaceful retreat at the High Hampton Inn. We stayed in the isolated Ponderosa Cottage with our beloved dogs Gracie and Belle. I can honestly say everyone (people and pups) had a wonderful experience and we can't wait to return again. The weather was exceptional. Waking up to the backdrop of Rock mountain and the fog rolling over the lake on a crisp fall morning is a memory We will not soon forget. The wait staff was exceptional, never skipping a beat and last but not least Tina in reservations put up with a plethora of my questions and I truly appreciate it. Hope to see you soon!!!

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AikenGracie10
beemanga, General Manager at High Hampton Inn & Country Club, responded to this review, 17 October 2007
Thank you for your comments regarding High Hampton Inn. We are truly blessed with beautiful scenery, great staff, and a traditional, rustic resort that has been a favorite to so many. We look forward to your return (pups included).
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2007

We stayed here in the fall it was really beautiful. We stayed in a simple cabin, no phone, no TV. We spent the days hiking and outdoors so we did not miss the lack of luxuries in the room. Despite the rustic atmosphere, you are required to dress for dinner (jackets for men) but it adds to the charm of the place. The kids really enjoyed the games in the lobby after dinner, don't miss this! The hike to the top of the mtn overlooking the lake was spectacular. A great getaway for anyone who wants to reconnect with family or friends. Lots for kids to do, they can't wait to go back. Very peaceful.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — beds
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank a o
beemanga, General Manager at High Hampton Inn & Country Club, responded to this review, 19 September 2007
Thank you for sharing your experience at High Hampton Inn. I see you were here in October 2006. I think you will be pleased with the new bedding! We have remodeled the lobby, tavern and all cottages. Even the dining room has a new look. Please come back again. We now have online boooking capability.
aiken sc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2007

The inn is a refreshing step back in time. A time when you didn't sit in your room and watch TV. There is no TV in the quaint cabins offered there. There are no phones either. You dress for a fabulous buffet style dinner. Folks are all out playing ping-pong, horseshoes, shuffleboard, swimming, and more. The inn is located on a beautiful lake that is situated under a fantastic mountain. It takes one's breath away. There are hiking trails everywhere, including ones to beautiful waterfalls. This is a great place to bring kids, or just a fun and romantic get away!

• Liked — The location, the cabins & the food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tedeno
I regret that I had not responded sooner, but I wanted to thank you for your commentws regarding High Hampton Inn. It is a wonderful destination for many families that have been returning for years. A day does not go by where someone doesn't stop me and say, " This is our 30th year here!". We hope you will be returning, as well.
David Jones
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cashiers
Hampton Inn & Suites Cashiers-Sapphire Valley
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,146 reviews
200 Main by Old Edwards
200 Main by Old Edwards
#3 of 7 in Highlands

Been to High Hampton Inn & Country Club? Share your experiences!