“Life long Family favorite !” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of High Hampton Inn & Country Club

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cashiers
High Hampton Inn & Country Club
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cashiers
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Life long Family favorite !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I have been going to High Hampton for 50 years and now am sharing the magic with my Grandchildren , as my Mother did for me ! It is the most wonderful family vacation in the cool Mts of Cashier`s , NC. You can stay in a cabin around the lake , or rent a vacation home with view`s of the golf course and mts. The meals in the Lodge are delicious and filling ! Make sure you get the "Sunday fried chicken !" Lots of fun for everyone , swimming and boating in the lake , golfing, , playing with the friendly llamas or just rocking on the huge wrap around porches . Life is alway`s good at High Hampton ! Once you experience it , you will return again and again ….

Room Tip: We like the Halstead cabin, The Caroline , and The Carson home .
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
targmarket, General Manager at High Hampton Inn & Country Club, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Fifty (50) years, on my! Thank you so much for your continued returns and we are also thankful that you find the joy in the property like most others.
Clifford Meads

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is truly a beautiful place and we had a fun, family-oriented vacation. The golf course is beautiful, as are the grounds, with the background of the mountain looming over the lake. Great place for kids, lots of activities on the water and a lot of families. These were not our complaints.

We were a big family on our first vacation there, and not until the last day on our way out did anyone from management ask how our stay was going. It was not personal at all, which we have come to expect from other similar vacations at resorts in places like Wisconsin.

The service was frankly poor, from the housekeeping which came at very inconsistent times, failed to re-load toilet paper to the point we had to ask, did not vacuum/clean dirty rugs when we had a 1 year old crawling around the place, and left visible cobwebs on the walls.
The waitstaff was friendly in that they would smile and be polite, but they were inconsistent with drink service and it was such a rotating cast we never go to know any of them over a whole week.

The last thing, and we were on the golf course, but between 6:45-7:00a.m. EVERY MORNING, out came the riding mowers, all around the hole near our property. I understand this has to be done at some point, and they are trying to get ahead before golfers are out, but EVERY MORNING on a relaxing vacation, we, and our 1 year old, were up right at 6:45 with the mowers. This was incredibly obnoxious.

This is a beautiful place, and if they just got a few of the small things right... getting to know us, asking how our trip was going and could they do anything to make it better, oh, and providing toilet paper and a clean place! Then, maybe they would've earned a long-time returning family.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank ericB22
targmarket, General Manager at High Hampton Inn & Country Club, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for your letter and we are quite dismayed by some of your observations. We do take responsibility for any weaknesses that we have from time to time and appreciate you taking the time to write. There is not any good reason why housekeeping was not performing as they should. Times can vary depending on the ebb and flow of our guests but that should have nothing to do with execution. Your notations have been discussed in detail. Our servers are young, eager and aim the please. Most of them are hospitality interns from many different countries learning new skills. For them it is a once in a lifetime opportunity however; if you received poor service we needed to know to continue (which we do) to work on their skills. We apologize for the inconsistent beverage service. The mowers and the sound thereof candidly we have not heard before but we can understand now that it has been expressed – and thank you. We do apologize that your vacation was not up to your standards and in particular ours! Most of our guests are very happy with their stays, the conversations with staff and the overall friendliness accompanied by beautiful surroundings. We dropped the ball and we apologize.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Pros: cottage was nicely laid out and in a beautiful setting on the golf course.
Rooms were spacious and beds were comfortable.
Good food in dining room, good selection and yummy desserts
Property is stunning. Lots of activities, great hiking, golf, tennis, canoes, kids activities, spa

Cons:
Dirty cottage! Cobwebs and dead bugs on every wall. Dirty unswept floors with visible dirt. Out dated bathroom and crappy toiletries.
Staff was not knowledgeable. Got three different answers for EVERY question asked. Poor young waiters mis-poured wine 3 times over 6 nights, poured all wine in 4 glasses when we had 6 drinkers.
Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING costs extra. $15 to play tennis with your own rackets. $35 corking fee to drink your own wine at dinner. $7 for a plastic paddle board for an hour.
No wifi in our cottage although wifi was 'included'
Very unreliable wifi in lodge
Toilet paper in cottage wasn't replaced by housekeeping staff for two days.
Fire place in cottage had no tools
We were expecting an important package: unbeknownst to us it was delivered to golf pro shop. We were sent on a wild goose chase to try to find the post office and no one from the pro shop called the front desk when the package was clearly marked with our name and "guest at high hampton". Front desk manager was incredibly ungracious and unapologetic for wasting our time and interfering with our travels.

UGH a series of misfortunes that made a really beautiful place incredibly sour.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
4 Thank Stephanie C
targmarket, General Manager at High Hampton Inn & Country Club, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for alerting us to your series of misfortunes. Those misfortunes are certainly now ours to correct and we will do so! You are correct that not every cottage has wifi (although most do). The more remote ones we are still seeking a remedy to getting a signal out to them. We are hopeful that you will call the General Manager so that he can discuss with you in detail areas where we can improve that you may not have mentioned. We do thank you that you took the time to write the Pro’s so that others reading will see that we do have many positives as well. Thank you again we hope that you will reach out so that in the event you do return you will notice an improvement in the areas you mentioned.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We did not stay at the hotel because we have friends that live in the area; however, we did eat the Thursday night dinner buffet. It was FABULOUS and I don't like buffets!!! It was very fresh and had a wide variety of items to choose from. They also had fresh cooked to order stir fry which was the best I have ever had. The drinks and live entertainment in the bar before dinner was very nice, relaxing and had a great view of the patio area. The kids were outside playing with the Llamas and having a ball. I must admit I even felt like a kid myself and had to go over and pet them. It is very refreshing to see a place like this still around as it provides clean, wholesome family fun!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for stopping by to have dinner with us. We encourage people to come and dine regardless of whether or not they are staying with us. So glad you enjoyed your meal and the resort surroundings. Please come back as often as you can.
Clemson, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have been staying a the High Hampton Inn for many years and have never been disappointed. From the time that we drive up, we feel relaxed and rested. The ambience is rustic, and there are no phones or television in the rooms. However, staying there is extremely refeshing. There are buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are many choices. Personally, I like their golf course very much. To me it is a resort surrounded by a terrific golf course with fantastic views. My wife and I like to walk around the lake. In the past, we have rented boats and have enjoyed it. The people there are very hospitable. In the dining room they have students from all over the world as staff, and it is fascinating talking with them. It is really a very relaxing "throwback" to a different time. It is also a family-oriented resort. In the evenings, my wife and I can take walks on the property.

Room Tip: We typically prefer the different houses instead of being in the hotel itself. We stayed twice in th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Richard K
targmarket, General Manager at High Hampton Inn & Country Club, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write and your continued visits. We also like our golf course for the very same reasons you mentioned. Not too long yet wonderful vistas around every corner. Yes, our staff is from all over the world and it is not only a great experience for them but also some good cultural discussions by our guests occur daily. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Charleston, SC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was my first time staying at High Hampton Inn. My room was on the 2nd floor (Room 10...avoid at all costs). I hadn't realized it was by the stairwell and, when I tried to take an afternoon nap, it was impossible. Paper thin walls, footsteps by my head, footsteps over my head, and toilets flushing and the sound of water everywhere.

The room itself hadn't been aired out and thoroughly cleaned in ages. I'm allergic to dust mites and mold, and my eyes watered every time I entered the room. The bed was comfortable with nice linens, but I couldn't breathe all night. During the night, I was afraid to flush the toilet since I didn't want to awaken the people in the next room (their door came into my bathroom). All this for $200/night.

I know that people love High Hampton Inn and return every year, but I won't be one of them. I live in an old house and have always lived in old homes...but between the dust mites, mold, paper thin walls, and constant sounds of flushing toilets and pitter patter of footsteps...I'll find another place to stay the next time in Cashiers.

I don't watch TV, so the lack thereof wasn't a problem...and I had a cell phone (worked only near the window) so was fine without a phone in the room.

On a brighter note, the flowers throughout the hotel lobby were lovely.

Room Tip: Don't go...and if you do, ask for a quiet room not by the stairway on 2nd floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank DSBAA
targmarket, General Manager at High Hampton Inn & Country Club, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
We are so very sorry to hear of your experience. Not knowing all the circumstances I am hopeful that if you had mentioned your dislike of the room location that we would have done everything possible to put you in a room further away from the stairwell or even in a cottage. We encourage you to contact the resort and specifically the General Manager so we can have a discussion and an opportunity to extend our hospitality towards a situation which was occurring and we apparently were unaware.
Greenville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We can't wait to return next summer for another breath of fresh High Hampton air below Rock Mountain. For those looking for room to spread out a bit, air conditioning and options for dining, consider renting a home from the website. Most have glorious views, porches, and daily housekeeping. We make the most of light meals with one celebratory breakfast at the Inn, but never miss peanut butter cookies at 4 sharp. Never far from tennis, golf, family Bingo, or paddle boards on the lake, the rental homes provide a little extra comfort in the most peaceful setting.

Thanks for another memorable vacation. Cheers for William and Karen! Thanks for all of your help....No news from Mrs. Guthrie yet, William.....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
3 Thank happygolucky03
targmarket, General Manager at High Hampton Inn & Country Club, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your recent comments and especially the shout out to William and Karen. We are so glad that your vacation rental home worked so well for your family. You are correct they all are very close to the Inn and perfectly situated around the resort. Thank you again and we will begin your 350 day count down from here.
Clifford Meads
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cashiers
Hampton Inn & Suites Cashiers-Sapphire Valley
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages
200 Main by Old Edwards
200 Main by Old Edwards
#3 of 7 in Highlands

Been to High Hampton Inn & Country Club? Share your experiences!