“Authentic Mexican food in the Smoky Mountains?? You bet!”
Review of Chile Loco

Chile Loco
Ranked #14 of 37 Restaurants in Cashiers
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Excellent, authentic Mexican cuisine nestled in the mountains of Cashiers, NC. Outstanding food at a very nice family-owned restaurant.
Reviewed 10 February 2015

As a general rule I try to experience the "local" cuisine wherever I go. That seems to be part of the whole traveling experience. So when I saw a local Mexican restaurant inside a small strip mall, I wasn't sure how it would go.
But my gamble paid off with Chile Loco!
We had our dog with us so we didn't eat inside. So we got it to-go and ate at a local park to enjoy the weather & scenery. While I was inside waiting, I was impressed with the clean & tidy appearance. There was ample seating and the small staff seemed to be keeping up just fine. This is the "off season" in Cashiers, but this place stayed very active with the locals.
There was a small bar that seemed to be a full bar.
I was very happy (and impressed) to see that they had sopes on the menu. This is only the second place I've ever seen that offers them. My 2 sopes and loaded nachos came out quickly and I was out in just a few minutes. The prices were fair in my opinion. Expect about $8-$10 for lunch.
We got a steak and a chicken sope. Nachos were steak. All were just about perfect. The chicken was shredded and cooked in authentic spices. The steak was very good. They chop it into small (think largely diced diced) pieces. It had a flavor that I liked, but had never tasted so I can't really put my finger on what it was. But very good.
There is a big difference between any authentic Mexican restaurant and a chain restaurant, so don't expect Chipotle's when you go (which is a good thing here).
I will definitely come back when I'm in Cashiers again.

Reviewed 18 January 2015

For the price, you can't beat the fresh made chips daily. The food portions are huge and fresh as well. Make sure you are hungry.

Reviewed 6 November 2014

Real Mexican. Love the chicken soup on a cold nite. Burritos and tacos are great. This is a low price restaurant no frills but a great value

Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

I have been waiting to get the opportunity to go eat at a Resturant .
I love the owners and the food is great so is the service. We had a meeting there and the atmosphere is just like being in Mexico. Love it will be back. 2 snaps for the owners❤️❤️

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Generous portions of freshly prepared Mexican dishes will fill anyone's desire. Homemade chips and plenty of choices for lunch. We liked it a lot!