“Mountain Gem”

Chez Dupont and The Stone Soup Cafe
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Casual Cafe Dining!
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped for lunch which I assume is not the busy time as we had the entire restaurant to ourselves for the first half hour. We often choose lunch stops via Trip Advisor and as usual it was a great choice. We were very happy with both the food and the service. We will return.

2  Thank Carol A

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We have had a house in the Cashiers/Highlands area for nearly 20 years and have eaten out hundreds of times over that period. Our dinner last night ranks up there among the very best we have experienced in our mountain summer community.

There are plenty of places to eat nearby but only a handful of really good restaurants; The Orchard in Cashiers, Lakeside, Paoletti's, Madison's and Wolfgang in Highlands are our favorites. Chez Dupont belongs in this small group of our picks as the best around.

Christopher DuPont, Owner/Chef is creating a special place in Cashiers. Our meal was perfect from start to finish. My wife had a lobster and crab cake special and I had pork osso buco. The salmon and scallops chowder was the best seafood soup I have ever had. We shared crab fritters as a first course and they were every bit as good as the rave reviews implied. Service was friendly and professional. They have a full bar and decent choices of wine by the glass as well as a small but well thought out wine list.

Chez DuPont is destined to become the kind of restaurant that people will go out of their way to visit. Exceptional food, very good service, an attractive dining room and great music. You got to love a place that plays Billy Joel, the Boss, Zack Brown, CCR and Willie Nelson singing "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain". This place is no more expensive than the other top tier places around but boy is it good!

5  Thank racar22
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Came here with my son and house guest and we were blown away. Excellent dinner. The crab fritters are a must. My house guest had the watermelon gazpacho which the waiter described as "summer in a bowl". We giggled over that and then, yes, it really was summer in a bowl! Son had steak and frites, both perfectly cooked and seasoned. We sought out the chef to rave and he was a nice guy. Confident and rightly so.
A must-do if you're in the area. The cash-only thing is a pain, but there's a Wells Fargo ATM a few steps away if you forget to bring cash.

1  Thank barbnjohn
Christopher D, Owner at Chez Dupont and The Stone Soup Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you For The Great Review. I am Happy you enjoyed your experience. We now accept all Major Credit Cards. Thanks Again, Christopher.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We were eager to try this new restaurant based on the reviews and the past experience of the chef.
Don't know if we hit on a bad night or what. The sever was very pleasant, but the menu was very small. The only thing on the menu that was a standout were the crab fritters. The food was good, but certainly not great. We were expecting so much, but left disappointed. We felt that for what we paid, the amount and quality of the food was not up to our expectations.
Perhaps we should try again, but there are other restaurants in Cashiers and Highlands that we enjoy much more.

3  Thank shelbee67
Christopher D, Owner at Chez Dupont and The Stone Soup Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Hello, I Apologize for your average Experience. I Totally Understand & Am Making Improvements everyday.. We are a New Restaurant and have been a little hit or miss. Please remember, This is not a fine dining restaurant, just a simple casual café, but I am totally capable of the highest quality cuisine. If you do try again, Please give me a call and I will prepare a spectacular menu.. Thanks again, Christopher

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We really enjoyed our meal and the friendly staff. There were a couple of minor details that could use some attention but I don't consider them big enough to lower the rating to a 4.
The tomato chowder had a delicious slightly smokey flavor that spoke of probably a long time reducing the initial stock. There were generous portions of shrimp and scallops in the soup. Seafood can be really tricky as evidenced by the fact that they were slightly overcooked. I grew up on the coast and notice things like that. My husband never noticed.
The crab fritters which came with coleslaw were a real treat. Erase all concepts you have of coleslaw. This is like none you can imagine. Such great flavors. The crab fritters were prepared such that the crab flavor was really allowed to shine.
One minor problem that we had was that one of the waiters (not our waitress) brought the entree before we were done with our soup. The waitress apologized profusely.
It was a really good dinner and we will be back.