“Great stay at The Siena”

The Siena Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
SF
“Great stay at The Siena”
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed at The Siena during a homegame weekend and although they were busy we had a great stay.
Rooms: The rooms are large, modern, clean and very comfortable. We had 2 double beds and the room was large and comfortable. In addition to the beds there were 2 large sofa chairs and a desk with a chair. The room was very clean and the beds comfortable. The bathroom was clean and quite large. We were happy with the room.
Service: The service everywhere was very good. The staff aim to make you happy and are attentive. We give the service in all sections, front desk, valet, bar and room service were excellent.
Food: Breakfast was included every morning. The food was quite good but very repetitive. The breakfast was standard, eggs, pancakes/french toast, potatoes, bacon & sausage, a small selection of breads and pastries, yogurt and fruit. Sufficient, fresh and good quality. The bar food was excellent, upscale and very tasty. We loved hanging out and having drinks and watching the games at the bar.
Ambiance: very classy. The hotel is impressive from the outside and from the inside. On the weekends they have jazz playing at the bar which adds a nice touch.
Overall, a very nice hotel and we loved staying here. We will be back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Khaja

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Somerset, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 September 2012

The Siena hotel and the Palio restaurant are gems. We stayed four nights, ate breakfast every morning and had dinner there twice. Our rooms were spacious and clean and our stay was so pleasant that we were sorry to leave. From check-in to check-out I could not have imagined a more friendly and efficient staff. The wait staff, the bartenders, the doorman and the wine steward were incredibly pleasant and accomodating; They made us feel comfortable and special at the same time. The meals at the Palio were excellent and Mr. Chetan Reddy could not have been more helpful in helping us choose the wine and our entrees and could not have been more attentive to our every need. We capped each meal with drinks at the bar and once again we can't say enough good things about each of the three bartenders who took care of us.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 110Sandra3112
Washington, DC
Reviewed 21 September 2012

First let me say that I liked the Siena Hotel. The staff was congenial and friendly and overall the hotel is a pleasant place to stay.

But, and here is an enormous but, the rooms that face the street are noisy. Street noise and noise from the boisterous restaurant/pub across the street -- until 2am in the morning -- permeated the room. I suspect the windows are not double paned, because the noise was loud. If you have the white noise of either air conditioning or heating to blur the outside noise, then perhaps these rooms would be liveable. However, I was there at a time when neither AC nor heating were needed and the street noise and pub noise were really unbearable.

On a more positive note, the breakfast (if you're on the Bed and Breakfast option) is wonderful with varied choices and the hotel's location is quite accessible to the university and other Chapel Hill points of interest.

Finally, this is a personal preference: I found the furnishings and decor a bit gaudy. A little overly gilded rococo goes a long way. I know, they are trying to emulate Siena, the hotel's namesake. They have tried too hard.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the hotel. The street noise and noise from the restaurant/pub across...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

The property is exceptional but what sets The Siena apart is its staff ALL of them.
I have never experienced a more attentive well trained group. My thanks for making our stays as pleasant as they could be.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gene Z
Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Wow! I don't think my hand touched a door handle all Labor Day weekend. Such service! From the buffet breakfast thru fresh cookies in the lobby in the afternoon to turn down w chocolates each evening, I felt like a pincess. The lobby & rooms are beautifully decorated, a bit ornate for my personal taste, but I was just renting this space for 3 nights. My 3rd floor corner room was clean & quiet. The hotel is buffered from the highway by surrounding tall trees. Consequently, I had a beautiful view. The Siena sits in a residential area a little over 2 mi outside town. They offer a complimentary shuttle service to downtown Chapel Hill until 10:45 PM, & recommendations for reliable taxi service for those of us who stay out later. There is a new Walgreens across the corner & a cross walk at the red light to get there safely. Parking was free & easily accessible. There is no bathtub, but the bathroom is quite large & includes a shower large enough for 3. There is a small fridge that had a tiny freezer compartment. I loved that! I was attending a 2 day outdoor event, so I froze a water bottle each evening. An ice bin was also available on my floor near the elevator. I found the room lighting a little dim, but the 3 way lamps & easily adjustable drapes on the large windows allowed me to brighten things up considerably. There is a large screen TV in the ample armoire & a small desk is also provided. Benches at the foot of the beds make packing easier also. The only things I really missed was a magnifying or makeup mirror & a bathTUB).
I don't normally stay in such a nice place, but the package deal I got via an internet travel service enabled me to afford it. Since I've gotten a peek at the Siena, I'd probably pay more to stay here again. The staff was young but they were all very friendly, responsive, & helpful. Everyone, including hotel staff, restaurant workers, & housekeeping team acknowledged me with a smile & greeting each time I encountered them. I was a princess for a weekend!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Boston, MA
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Everything about this hotel was wonderful! The staff are tremendously helpful and friendly. For example, I was calling in a room service order and the phone went dead in the middle. In the time that it took me to get down to the front desk, the staff in the dining room had alerted the front desk of the problem and they had a repairman up there within ten minutes. The rooms are extremely comfortable, quiet, and spacious. The restaurant Il Palio is equally wonderful--delicious fresh food from local purveyors, top notch service, and nice setting. I've stayed a few times as I travel to support a family member getting medical procedures and The Siena has become my welcoming home base, making it easier to manage the time in the hospital. I give it my highest recommendation, something that I don't often do!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Los Angeles
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We loved this hotel! Some of the recent reviews do not sound positive, but we stayed on the 3rd floor and neither saw nor heard any dogs. The room, with two queen beds, was spacious enough for the four of us, and I didn't think that it looked tired. on the contrary, the rooms were nicely furnished, the lobby was nice, the restaurant looked elegant enough, and I really enjoyed the comfy couches outside in the front. The bathroom was huge -- large shower with enough room for a small army. Even had a bench when showering is just too much effort. No bath, though. One small complaint, our mattress might need to be changed -- it sagged a little in the middle.
The location and convenience to UNC is reason enough to stay at this hotel, although we were actually visiting Duke. It is still located close enough to Duke.
What distinguishes this hotel from others, however, is the top-notch service -- from the front desk to the bell man to the folks in the restaurant. The housekeepers were also very nice. Service includes remembering our names, helping us choose places to eat outside of their restaurant, opening the door with a smile and recognition of who we were, seating us promptly, remembering what we wanted in the morning, etc. Everyone was so nice and positive, it really made our experience so much better.
I liked the little things -- the warm cookies at night, the mint lemonade available all day, the free breakfast (great pancakes and wonderfully light frittata), the turn down service, the van to take you almost anywhere pretty much when you needed it. No pool, but a free day pass to the YMCA is available.
It was a great value, taking into account the free parking and breakfast, and the wonderful service and accommodations. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was close to the elevator on the third floor, but we heard no sound from the outside.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MrEricJL
bdeimling, Front Office Manager at The Siena Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Thank you for your kind and generous review of The Siena Hotel. Our staff takes great pride in providing world-class service for all of our guests and I am really glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience during your stay. We recently completed renovations to the bathrooms in the guest rooms as well as a complete remodel of the outside public area and landscaping and at the end of this year completing the renovations to the rest of the guest rooms. I would like to inform you that we do have a select number of rooms that have bathtubs if you find you need for future stays. I have notified our chief engineer that the middle of the bed in your room was sagging and they have rectified the problem.

I want to thank you again for your patronage and we look forward to your next visit to the area.

Brian S Deimling