“Mixed Feelings”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Mixed Feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I have read all of the reviews and I have to say I didn't see what everyone was so excited about. It is a very nice hotel. The staff when I arrived was very professional and courteous. Rooms were large and very comfortable. Water in the shower was lukewarm at best.

The fire alarm going off at 1:30 revealed a couple of problems that I might have missed during my quick stay. Fire alarms happen, not the hotels fault. Everyone made their way outside and stood wondering what was going on as the firemen arrived. Nobody from the hotel ever came out to tell us what was going on. It was late and the night manager had his hands full with the firefighters figuring out what the problem was - so that I can also understand. When we filed back into the hotel everyone amassed at the elevator. A bunch of people walked to the left of the building to find the stairs, but found conference rooms. then to the right and found the restaurant. There was no access from inside of the hotel to walk back up to our rooms. So I decided to get something to drink from the concession area while I waited for the elevator. No concession area - old hotel, understandable. Asked the night manager where the ice machine or any vending machines could be found and was told that there was a convenience store next door at the gas station. I stood there not sure how to react to being told that I would need to walk to the gas station if I wanted to get a drink - the fireman standing by also shook his head in amazement. I went back to my room to find an ice bucket with cold water in it - so I went back to bed.
To any Marriott gold members, if they ask whether you want the points or the free breakfast TAKE THE POINTS. You get to choose from 4 items that are boxed off on the breakfast menu. I chose the scrambled eggs and sausage. Would have been better off spending $5 at McDonalds.
Again, my emotions were mixed on this property, as the staff that I encountered when I arrived was great, the hotel is very clean, rooms were comfortable and roomy. But there are a few things that a Marriott level 6 hotel should have that this hotel does not.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Harlin10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We went here to celebrate our anniversary and had another memorable experience. Everything was perfect from check-in through checkout the next morning.

We booked the "date night special" and it is a fantastic package that included breakfast for two, a beautiful room. cocktails and an appetizer in the bar for two, and a $100.00 gift certificate to be used in their 5 star restaurant (Il Palio).

The staff was friendly and attentive and we felt very special. Thanks to all of you for your service!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Duxbury, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have stayed at the Siena on multiple occasions and have always had an outstanding experience. Every time I return it is like visiting family, the staff always remembers my wife and I and goes out of their way to ensure every faucet of our stay is exceptional. Anthony (the hotel manager) is amazing and always goes the extra mile to make me feel at home. During my most recent visit he not only set up my dining arrangements at the Il Palio but also introduced me to the kitchen staff. He went even further by sitting with me during my meal (I was traveling solo), walking me through the new menu and suggesting some of the new Chef's amazing dishes.

The rooms are spacious and very comfortable, the staff is exceptional and the location is perfect. There is a nice bar area, amazing restaurant and ample outdoor seating. I highly suggest if you are in the Durham/Chapel Hill area you give the Siena a try, you will love it!!

Room Tip: The corner rooms are large and spacious
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Napa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Large, well-appointed rooms with marble baths and comfy beds. We stayed in a top floor room facing the back parking lot and it was quiet. The service sets this hotel apart; it is outstanding. We were greeted every time we came or went, the restaurant staff remembered us from the first day, and we took the shuttle to dinner every night and the drivers were prompt and friendly. Our only problem was that the wifi did not work well in our room although it was fine in the lobby.
We appreciated the coffee and lemonade available in the lobby. And the cookies!
We will return to this hotel for our Chapel Hill visits.

• Stayed June 2014
Clemmons, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Family of four stayed in room 225 for 2 nights for UNC Chapel Hill Orientation. Room was VERY large and beds very comfortable. FREE Wifi (although signal strength was not strong in our room) and clean/large bathroom.
Unfortunately we did not really have time or opportunity to eat at hotel or use exercise room.
Did use hotel shuttle and they were very accommodating.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ButlertheDog
Va Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is a very unique hotel- Italian theme, beautiful bathrooms, huge room with a very comfortable bed. But I think their best attribute is the people - very friendly and helpful. When you walk in the door you are greeted and escorted to check in, which took seconds. We also used the free shuttle downtown and it was great- quick with prompt pick up. A definite must!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deanvt89
Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Great location and comfortable. Plush and warm welcome. Top notch. Would have liked a full length mirror in room but shower was spectacular. View and food and service #1. Italian restaurant authentic. Great drinks. Friendly staff. Breakfast another great addition

Stayed July 2014