“It was just fine”

Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed there for an event in which I was a vendor, so it was convenient, but when in the area I'd likely choose another place for better value or convenience. Everything was clean, well-kept, and comfy enough. Had to explain to the desk clerk about SPG Crossover benefits (I'm Platinum with Delta) and what I was supposed to get, and then he still insisted that I didn't qualify, but clearly he didn't understand how it works. It wasn't worth the trouble to continue trying to enlighten him. However, they did meet my request for a high room, away from the elevator..... and boy, was it a long way from the elevator! Fine for me, but it's something to consider if you're not given to long strolls down endless corridors past the thin doors of amorous guests....

I certainly enjoyed dinner at the bar of the on-site restaurant, Carolina 1663. You have to drive from this hotel to get to anything, and feeling too weary to find my way to Franklin Street for dinner, I decided to pick up a simple salad and bring it back to my room. I ended up eating a beautifully ridiculous portion of rich, southern-style, farm-to-table food at the bar, alongside fabulous house-made cocktails. That was worthwhile.

During the event the next day, which was a conference and vendor show, there was NO PARKING. I think a lot of people had to grab spaces belonging to the offices next door, but at least you could easily and safely walk back to the hotel.

It's an older property, but well-kept and in a nice setting. Just wouldn't be my first choice when I go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
tmilby, Manager at Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Sheraton Chapel Hill. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the various amenities of our hotel. I would be happy to verify that you received your crossover rewards.
If I can be of assistance with your future stays, please contact me directly.
Ted Milby
Director of Rooms
919-968-4900

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this Sheraton many times. The past two visits have beenmpurchased discounted on Priceline. One visit, in a m ot very funn hotel, I was placed by elevator. The noise in the morning from the elevator was horrific. I called to complain and told they had no idea why they had placed mme in that room and switched me to another. This stay I was guven a room far below Sheraton standards. Lights out in bathroom, holes in ceiling around sprinkler, stained carpet and worn furniture, toliet barely attached to wall. I'm beginning to suspect Priceline buyers are punished by sub standard rooms. Or maybe all the rooms are this bad?

• Stayed: November 2013
Nitin K, General Manager at Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback. We take every guest feedback very seriously and want to assure you that the team at the Sheraton Chapel Hill is committed to provide every guest with an excellent experience.

I apologize that you did not experience a satisfactory stay during your recent visit to Chapel Hill. I have shared your concerns with our team and I would like an opportunity to speak with you directly. Please contact me at your convenience at 919-968-4900.

Nitin Khanna

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed there for one night, and it was quite disappointing. No mentioning of our SPG Platinum benefits during check in, so we were not aware that the hotel has an executive lounge. Our assigned room was a standard room, and must have been the smallest room in the hotel. Too small for comfort actually, and we still paid USD 179 for the night. It seems that the hotel does not care about its loyalty program. Overall, an older property, maintenance ok, free parking. Disappointing, will not return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Steven C, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I would like the opportunity to speak with you directly about your experience. Please contact me at the hotel. I would love the chance to show that we are a consistently a top ranking hotel for guest satisfaction for a reason. That reason is because all of our staff try their hardest to connect with our guests and provide them the best stay possible and that what you experienced is not the norm for our property. I hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I was at the SCH this past weekend for two nights for a Board Meeting (Nice Board Room but not a lot of air circulation in it) and to plan a conference which we are holding there in May 2014. Overall I liked the hotel and the staff really are great. If there is one caveat to staying there is that you need a car. It is 5.8 miles from downtown Chapel Hill. They have one shuttle (holds 9) that will take you around but , if it is helping someone else, you might have to wait.) The only EASILY walk to place is McDonald’s next door. I was adventurous and walked on side of highway to both Trader Joes and the largest (and best!) Whole Foods I’ve ever visited. The Beer and Wine selection is great there. Sorry, getting away from hotel.
When we checked in I had reserved a room with 2 queen beds and the desk clerk (Sean) asked if a handicap accessible room was okay. I said it was fine. Only real change was wider door and elevated toilet seat. I don’t know if this is situation in other rooms but they put the towel rack in the room rather than in the bathroom which is inconvenient when you come out of the shower.
The beds were really comfortable and the room well maintained. There is a 12 oz Starbucks Coffee maker in room. (Also free Starbucks is in the lobby in the morning). The TV has MANY cable channels. The temperature controls worked well and the heat/air conditioning was quiet.
The website said there were microwaves and refrigerators in the rooms. We had neither. So, you might want to request it. (I had to cool my beer in an ice bucket.)
The breakfast buffet is substantial with even custom made omelets. It is $10.99. But, at least when I was there, if you sign up for Starwood Preferred Guest Account you got to spin a wheel and will eith Free Breakfast or $$1000 off in restaurant (Shula’s Steak pulled out; there a non-chain there now). The lobby has lots of places to sit and I counted five PCs to use for internet.

Well, there you have it. I’ll be back in May and will report any updates then.

Room Tip: If you want a refrigerator or microwave, make sure to ask for one. Not all rooms have them. I was i...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

We seriously appreciate such great feedback. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we're doing. Our 11 passenger shuttle is a great asset of our hotel and, although dependent on availability, is always able to get everyone where they need to go. Thanks again for the kudos and we hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Single night stay, upgraded to suite, king bed. Middle of the road in terms of moderness :)

Overall property kind of worn but more than suitable for a night or 2.

Gym was good, lounge was good, staff encountered were all just great.

Plenty of parking and location was nice.

1  Thank 2worldtravelersnj

Thank you so much for your review. We strive to make every guest feel like a VIP and it sounds as though we succeeded with you. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

The staff was very friendly and the common areas looked nice. The rooms were fine UNTIL I pulled back the sheets and discovered how dirty they were- it looked like cleaned and dried vomit or food. I called the front desk and they took care of it, but that is a hard thing to overcome for any hotel. I would also say that the hotel is a little further outside town than I initially thought.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RichDC87

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am so glad that our staff was able to serve you and make a great impression. I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping department and can assure you we have done everything we can to improve. Please contact me directly if you have any other questions or concerns. We would like a chance to show you that your experience here is not the standard we uphold.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Comfortable hotel with large rooms. The rooms are well appointed (as expected at a Sheraton). Welcoming open lobby. Friendly and helpful staff. Very reasonable rates. The hotel is within easy walking distance from office complex on Europa Drive.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

We sincerely appreciate such positive feedback and are glad we were able to connect with you. It means a great deal to our staff to hear that our hard work is paying off. We hope to serve you again in the future.