“Cool, hip, modern and super quiet”
Review of Aloft Chapel Hill

Aloft Chapel Hill
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I loved this hotel. I was on a mom/daughter (age 9) weekend and was looking for a fun place to stay. This was our first experience at an Aloft hotel. We stayed on the 4th floor facing the back. View was pretty, room was modern and clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Hotel is part of East 54 with trendy restaurants and good food steps from the front door. There are walking trails abound, and it's very close to a beautiful supermarket as well as Meadowmont with all of those stores and restaurants too. This hotel is not right in downtown but that was a plus for us. The hotel is nicely laid out and the cool, modern theme is throughout. I found this hotel to be extremely well designed. Even the choices for food seemed exactly right. Breakfast had many more options than I expected (cereals, fresh fruit, granola yogurt, muffins, rolls, and made to order breakfast sandwiches, free coffee). I just loved everything about this hotel. This was a steal of a deal (our best price was off of Travelocity) and while I did pay for parking, the price was still less than the regular hotel price (even at full price with the parking fee, I felt this hotel was a great deal). The beds were very comfortable, the room was a really good size at 315 sq. ft., and the room was amazingly quiet. Probably one of the quietest hotels I have ever slept in (which for me is HUGE plus because I am an amazingly light sleeper). Initially I worried there wasn't a bathroom door (which would have been just a little too modern for me) but laughed when I realized it was a slider on a track. I loved the little amenity kits for sale in the lobby (super clever; useful) for anything from toys to contact lens kits to um..well..um other useful stuff). Note: there is something called Camp Aloft where you can get a cute kid roll bed with cute sheets and a toy but you have to ask for that at the time the reservation is made. Overall, an excellent experience and an incredible value - it presents as a much more expensive hotel. I did not find the lobby loud or crowded. Usually, we were the only people in the pool. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Our amazingly quiet room was on the fourth floor facing the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Zorro2012
Jeremy G, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Hi Zorro2012,

We are pleased to hear that you chose Aloft Chapel Hill for your mother-daughter weekend! Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review about your time with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed our friendly staff, modern rooms and beds, as well as our breakfast options and Camp Aloft amenities.

Thank you again for your stay – we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

This was the first time I've stayed at a Aloft hotel. The fact that dogs were allowed was a big factor in my decision to book a room there. The accommodations were very comfortable and the reception/lobby area was well staffed and had a bar area, lots of seating, and a pool table. There was no restaurant, but reasonably priced food was available (some made to order). The area where the hotel was located was very pleasant; there was a shopping center with a Fresh Market and a Rite Aid next door and a cross country track to get some exercise with my dogs just steps away.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I stayed here one Sunday in August. Room was small, as expected, but well laid out, and very comfortable. Front desk staff were courteous. Parking was an additional $8, which is an annoyance, but the internet was free. There was a small mini-fridge in the room, which was a bonus, and one which was not advertised on their website, or I'd have brought my own beverages and snacks. Bottled water was provided. Room was blissfully quiet. Bed was comfortable. Desk chair was not, Workout facility was clean and well-furnished, with two treadmills, two ellipticals, and a recumbent bike, as well as free weights and a few weight machines. Fitness balls, but no foam rollers. The bliss toiletries were supplied from containers on the wall in the shower.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I have stayed in multiple Aloft hotels in various places in the USA and this one was just as charming as the others. A very clean and nice facility, all staff were very friendly. The surrounding areas were very nice as well.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Recently I was in the Chapel Hill area traveling with my dog and needed a room for the night. The Aloft allowed pets with no additional charge. So I chose this hotel. I had heard of the Aloft concept and this location was true to what I had heard. The room was clean and crisp. It felt very much like a European hotel. The layout of the room was a bit different to most hotels - very functional with a good use of space and lighting.

The bed was comfortable and provided a good night's sleep. The rooms were quiet so my dog was not unnerved by a lot of odd noises. She slept well too. The walk-in shower was a nice experience with a spa-type shower head, good water pressue and lots of hot water.

The location was good for folks traveling with pets. There is a golf course behind the hotel and a nice place to walk your dog.

The hotel staff was efficient but a little cold - not a lot of smiling going on but perhaps that's part of the concept. The parking fee of $8 was a bit of a surprise and should be reconsidered. After all, this is Chapel Hill and not Atlanta or New York City.

Next door is a small shopping complex with a variety of restaurants. I did not try any of these places but they seemed to be worth a look in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
LindseyVDK, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Hi Travelfruit,

Thanks so much for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We're happy your family (and dog!) enjoyed your stay, and that you found the room clean, comfortable, and functional.

Sorry to hear that you did not receive a warm greeting, as this is not our standard. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Once again, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, and we hope to see you next time you're in town!

Reviewed 10 July 2013

If all you want is a clean, almost new, quiet room then this will fill the bill.

Howver, after 2 stays in this property I have to say the whole hotel is strange and the staff impersonal.

First stay I arrived and had to literally shout to the person checking me in...because there was BINGO (and drinks) going on in the lobby. How completely odd, IMO, but clearly a draw to either the guests or the locals. In the AM I woke up to what sounded like a running toilet. You know the sound that happens when the handle doesn't completely shut off the flow of water and it needs to be jiggled. When I finally go up to investigate I found water streaming through the bathroom light fixture. Thankfully whoever I spoke with brought me another room key so I could do the walk of shame between each rooms to get ready for the day since we both deemed it an unsound idea to turn the lights on in the bathroom. However, when I checked out you might have thought someone would have apologized again for the inconvenience but no one mentioned it. I simply found that odd considering there were only 2 employees (including the one who brought me the room key) at the desk.

Next trip is equally odd. I pulled up in a rain storm and decided to pay the valet fee. There was a man standing outside with an Aloft shirt on obviously helping a woman who was trying to figure out some sort of situation with her valeted car. I got my luggage of the car, walked into the lobby and waited at the check in desk for someone to appear to assist me. Naturally the person to arrive was the gentleman who had been outside. I'd have thought it at the least he would have said something to me about being right in to assist. Once again the lobby was annoyingly loud with a lounge singer so as I was being checked in I couldn't hear what the employee was saying since he was turned away from me. We worked out it that it was 1 night and that I was aware of the amenities from my last stay (honestly I wasn't but it didn't make much sense screaming at each other to find out about the pool hours....). Nor did he know the time the drugstore a few doors down closed.

Tonight I came back from dinner (amazing Asian Fusian place within walking distance. I decided to stop at the bar and have a drink since the lounge singer was done for the night. The bar staff seemed completely uninterested in taking my order, serving me or otherwise try to engage me. Truthfully I felt like I was being a bother to get a $9 glass of wine.

I honestly don't understand the staffing issues. I don't know if they are mostly current students working their way through their education or if the set up of the lobby with a small exposed front desk and an excessive amount of noise turns the staff off to guests or something else entirely. I assume there are consultants who get paid the big bucks to figure it all out. I also don't understand all the fun and games that go on in the lobby. Again, maybe a college town appeal but I don't recall this at the Aloft in Delray.

So, if you can overlook poor customer service and attention and just want a place to sleep the Aloft in Chapel Hill should work out well. But don't say I didn't warn you to expect the oddity of the place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2013

If you've stayed in Aloft once, you know the environment: hip, minimalistic and fun. This was a tidy and quiet hotel located NOT within walking distance of downtown Chapel Hill. However, they do provide a shuttle that will drop you off within a five mile radius up until 7pm.

This Aloft is located next to a sports bar and small shopping area if you need necessities in a pinch. The staff was wonderful here and the valet, perfect. Although I love Alofts, I would stay downtown next time.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business