“Quite a nice hotel”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Singapore, Singapore
“Quite a nice hotel”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This hotel is what you would expect from an Aloft, except that I would say the common areas are much nicer. The rooms are exactly as you would expect, but the bar area seems to be better than that of other Alofts.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I love the Starwood brand in general, and I have stayed at several different Aloft hotels in the past, but this was my least favorite of all my Starwood hotel stays.

My husband and I got married at the Botanical Garden just a mile down the road and booked a stay here for the night of our wedding (Friday night). First of all, I had trouble booking just one night because apparently they require a minimum stay of two nights if there is a football game that weekend - thereby effectively rendering the hotel useless to anyone who just wants a single night. I can't help but think they miss out on business because of this. The price was also pretty ghastly compared to what I've paid at other Aloft hotels - almost double. Anyway, I found a loophole that let me book for one night.

We showed up and checked in, and paid $8 to use the parking garage. They gave us a tag, and we drove into the designated parking area (a garage shared with a residential (?) complex.) Turns out there were only about 20 spaces reserved for the Aloft hotel in addition to those outside (which was probably another 20). Huh? I refuse to believe that many of the guests take the BUS to the Aloft hotel. Why don't you have enough parking for all of the guests? OR, why don't you keep track of how many of those parking passes you sell so that guests don't have to waste 20 minutes driving around looking for a parking space only to feel ripped off because they paid and spaces weren't available?

We finally pulled back up to the front and asked the gentleman at the valet stand if there was additional parking since the garage was full. He told us that our options were to park at the bank across the street (I'm sure the bank loves that), or to use the valet. We replied that we had already paid the $8 for the garage, and his response was that it was ok to use the valet since you had to paid the $8 to use that anyway. (Which I now believe to be false based on other reviews. So basically we were scammed out of our $8.)

We gave the car to the valet, being exhausted and just wanting to be done with it.

The room is a typical Aloft room (nice amenities, comfy bed, not-so-private toilet area) - except ours had 3 bright red juice/drink stains on the carpet. Er, might wanna get those cleaned or replaced, you guys?

Checkout was easy enough, but then the next day I noticed a $50 charge on my card. When I called to ask what it was, they said it was a hold on my card for incidentals. It was eventually released, but I'm not sure why they feel the need to do this - I've stayed at tens of hotels this year, and they are the only ones to enact a policy like this. What happened to just charging my card *IF* I bought something?

Anyway - in short, my least favorite of all the Aloft/Starwood hotels in the country. I will not be returning to stay, nor will I recommend this particular hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wanderlust919
TLozano, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Hi Wanderlust919,

I appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay. I am sorry you experienced such an inconvenience with regards to the parking and incidentals charge. I will share your feedback with our management teams so that they can look into these issues further.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 October 2013

While this hotel may feel as though it has been picked up off of South Beach, Miami and placed in the academic green spaces surrounding Chapel Hill, it has all the amenities you would like for a short or extended stay. The entire hotel is decorated in a chic hip lounge design with lots of stylish lighting and geometrically patterned art. Nearly every sign, wall, piece of air, doorway, or something has been turned into a decorative lighting feature. They definitely picked a theme and ran with it, but you can appreciate the consistency although it may feel a little extra at times (i.e. - the floor in the elevator is filled with a moving gel that shifts under your weight).
The rooms are clean and quite stocked with anything you might need. The hotel staff are friendly and parking is available via valet or self parking. Each come at a cost. Self park is $8/hotel room - no limit on number of cars.
Wireless internet is available to paying guests. The gym is clean, small, and has all the equipment you would need for your run on the run. Breakfast and snack items are available for purchase in the lobby. I did not personally visit the lounge, but it seemed like an enjoyable and popular meeting spot for those on business.
I was there for a conference with friends, but the hotel seems to cater to many business folk.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the main highway. A room facing the restaurant and shopping area n...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SegaSam
Cohocton, New York
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Aloft in Chapel Hill, NC. It was very nice, very handy, and super fantastic staff. They were helpful and telling us what sites to see and how to get around the area.
A must see is the botanical garden that is located within a mile of the hotel.
Very nice stay and we would love to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
TLozano, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Hi Cadan,

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay. I am so glad you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back again!
Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This was my first time staying at a hotel in Chapel Hills N.C. The hotel was recommended to me because of the conference I was attending nearby. The facilities were terrific...from the room to the workout facility.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
TLozano, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Hi jmdskyline,

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your accommodations and were able to take advantage of our workout facility. We hope you stay with us again soon!
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

A great stay! Checkin was great, with very attentive and helpful staff. Room was comfortable, with a great European flair. Will definitely stay here again! Highly recommend the lounge with a great bar and pool tables!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Smithfield, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I recently had a great stay at Aloft Chapel Hill. I was able to take advantage of a special rate through the UNC School of Government while I attended a conference there. I really liked the arrangement of the room compared to the more traditional away most are arranged, and I loved that there were two windows, as most hotel rooms make me feel like I'm in a dark cave. The room may feel smaller than others, but I found that I had more space, and more space to store things so they were out of the way. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The rooms were so quiet -- I don't think I ever heard the sound of another door closing or people talking in the hall. The fitness center was very nice, with a larger variety of equipment than any other hotel I've stayed in. I forgot my bathing suit and didn't get to go for a swim, but the pool was of a good size. My only complaint is that I wasn't sure about parking on my arrival -- it was not clear where to park to check in. After I checked in and was given the information to enter the parking garage, it appeared that there was a very limited amount of parking for the hotel. I will definitely stay at the Aloft next time I'm in Chapel Hill!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sarah E
TLozano, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Hi ncbechbaby,

Thank you so much for sharing your positive feedback. I am so glad you enjoyed your accommodations and were able to enjoy the space in your room. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back!